October Salmon Fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
October Salmon Fishing

If all goes well, and I get a good bill of health from some test results, I may be able to squeeze one more trip into this season before the winter sets in. I would rather grant myself some time on a river than fishing locally for stripers and albies. I've heard much talk about New Brunswick and Nova Scotia during that time of year. I hear it's a beautiful and productive time on the Margerie River in NS, and on some of the NB rivers.

I am not familiar with too many rivers in those provinces......and which are openned to the public, or perhaps private stretches that have some opennings. If anyone has some information on some of those rivers.......I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Howie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Exclamation

One Word: Miramichi

The Miramichi river has a very strong Fall run of atlantics, and is an extremely productive river system in general. The tributaries ( Northwest, Little Southwest, Sevogle, Renous, Cains) all have good sustainable runs on their own right, some like the Cains river are known for a Fall run. There is no question that if you want a chance at an atlantic in the last week or 2 of Sept, or early Oct, think the Miramichi.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y
Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 PM

Ditto. The Miramichi and its tribs are my favorite places to fish in the Fall.

The Cains is my favorite IF THERE IS WATER. The fish start up the Cains in mid-September, but only if the water is high enough. As things turned out, last Fall there was too much water to fish the usual places, but we did catch three fish in two days of fishing.

I'll be headed up to the Doaktown area to fish on September 29 and 30, which is about a week earlier than I like to go, but social commitments in October make those the only two days available to me near the end of the season, which closes on Oct. 15th in NB.

The season may stay open until Oct. 31st in NS, but I am not sure. I have never fished there.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:25 PM

Miramichi:
The Cains is mostly public and can be very busy. The Southwest is a good choice with a lodge or outfitter but offers little in the way of open water. The Little Southwest is a fine fall river but again can be busy with locals and several lodges competing for the same water as most of it is public. The Northwest is a fine fall river with little pressure from the locals and only one lodge operating a reputable licensed facility.
If you like to fish with others in public water the Cains or Little Southwest are good choices.
If private water is the preferred choice then a lodge on the Southwest or Northwest is the way to go.
I have fished all over the Maritimes in the fall and you can’t beat the Miramichi for numbers of salmon. Some 40,000 in the system already and the fall run has not arrived yet.

Pal
Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 PM
rankinstein

margaree

Hello Venture the Margaree is all public water.The fall runs are usually pretty good.I fished there this summer like I do every summer.There was good water pretty well all year.You can purchase a non resident license for around fifty bucks for 7 days or 130.00 for the season.The season ends Oct 31 . they are not fond of sinking tip lines though they are legal.Nova Scotia had a pretty decent year as far as rain goes hope this helps Rod
Old 09-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Thanks Rod. I always wanted t o see and fish the Margaree as I've heard how beautiful that river is, especially in the fall. When I was young and lived in the Catskills mountains of NY, the famous Harry Darbee used to spin some great stories about that river as he fished it each fall, every year. He would close his fly shop which was in his home in Livingston Manor, and take a few weeks there each September. If all goes well, I may wind up there in October.

Thanks
Howie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.