Overnight trip recommendations... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 10:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Overnight trip recommendations...

My wife decided I need some time to myself to relax after working my butt off on my job, our house, and with our new baby for the last 9 months. So I've got a pass to go do an overnight fishing trip somewhere. It needs to be somewhere within reasonable driving distance of me (I'm near Providence). I'll be leaving really early on a Sat morning and coming back on Sun night. I'd like to do some stream fishing, but will probably pack the float tube too, either for some lake fishing and/or to use it on a stream/river.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. I'd prefer to keep the drive to 3 hours or less, and I'll either camp out or take the back seats out of my Xterra and sleep in the back if there's nowhere to camp. I'm not really concerned about anything other than good fishing, the more remote and unlikely to see anyone else the better.

Here's what's come to mind so far:
Saco River
Housatonic
Farmington
Deerfield (though I've been there lots of times and would like somewhere new)

So let's hear some ideas please! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 PM

Sorry more than 3 hours

I don't know the area near you, but I know a place that meets your other requirements. If you come up to the New York Thruway to St. 17 West bound, you will come to Roscoe. The Willowemoc and Beaverkill are good. In addtion if you come up Rockland road and make a left onto Morton Hill Rd you will come to Russel Brook. The brook has trout so tiny it is not worth fishing, but you can camp there on the state land. In addition on the state land you can hike up to Trout pond which does have some nice fish in it. According to map quest ( ) it is 4 hours, 28 minutes to get there from Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

Over night.

Teflon ;it might not be remote,but how about cape cod ?Trout ponds to numerous to mention plus the striper migration starting up,why not the best of both worlds?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:10 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Vermont, western NH CT River tribs, CT lakes, all come to mind. The Catskills suggestion is an exceptional choice.

However if it were me I would take the Cape Cod suggestion, not crowded this time of year and the striper fishing has been outstanding. I've not taken clients out without at least one keeper landed on the fly in weeks and the trout ponds in Nickerson State Park, which offers great camping, are first class especially Higgins which is a reclaimed trout pond and your Xterra will be just the right vehicle to get to it as the roads are remote dirt trails you can drive on.

I have to agree with PEC54, except for the lack of stream trout per se. But my guess is that you will go north and inland.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 PM

"Hello, my name is Scott and I'm a smallmouth junkie."

Well, I'm leaning towards the Housatonic after reading the reports of the outstanding smallmouth fishing in the river. I don't know if I can turn down some really great fishing for the best fighting freshwater fish in the world. I'm trying to figure out where I can stop on the Farmington on my way back on Sunday too...
Old 09-27-2006, 10:05 PM

Looks like the Housatonic is definitely it. Thanks for the suggestions, but I can't turn down smallmouth fishing like I've been reading about in the fishing reports. I also managed to get an extra day out of my wife so I'll be down there for 3 full days of fishing! I think the Farmington may get most of my day on Sunday depending on how fishing on the Housatonic is, and whether I'm bored with it.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:58 PM

Well I'm back from my trip and all in all it was pretty awesome! You can see the full report here:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=24043

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.