Can you get away with a 9wt? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 AM

Can you get away with a 9wt?

Thinking of doing a Bonefish trip but don't have a 8wt rod. Could I get away with a 9wt or would that be overkill? I have a fresh water 7wt which I could use but the saltwater might ruin it. FishHawk.
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 09:11 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Bring both rods. 9wt will work fine, and 7wt will be ok for bones too, especially if it is not too windy. Rinse rods & reels down everyday after fishing in the salt--your 7wt will be fine as long as you rinse it diligently.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Over a dozen bonefish trips in almost 20 years I've fished the 9wt, the 8wt and now the H2 T&T 7wt (which is pretty close to my 8wt down at the butt). I even did a whole trip with the two-hander. Although I've hooked fish that were too much for my 9wt the majority are great on the 7wt T&T and it's my first choice now.

Conclusion FWIW - the only reason you need more than a SW grade 7wt is wind; otherwise it's all on the reel. The Danielsson 7ten with several miles of 50# gelspun does the trick for me. The lighter line is also more stealthy and distance is rarely the issue if you use your head.

BTW - where are you going? (the venue often has an influence on rod choice)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-06-2006, 09:41 AM
In moderation

Hi FishHawk
You can probably cover most bonefishing situations with a 7wt. However if you are going to the Keys then a 9wt is a better choice. The only place I have been to where a 9wt. is total overkill is Mexico where the bones are very small. I understand Belise is similar.

Be very carefull if your 7wt. has a wooden reel seat and nickle silver fittings.
You must make sure that you do not get a lot of saltwater on the reel seat. Or rinse it off regularly with fresh water.
The fittings will rust very quickly and the wood is liable to swell up and rot.

I have been there and done that and now only use aluminium or titanium reel seats.

Have fun

Pete
Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Flats Rat

All good stuff and totally agree with Juro - its all on the reel

Mind you, my first trip I used a sci anglers system 2 and it worked fine except for the drag dropping into freespool a couple of times

I fished a 9wt on just about every trip and never really felt overgunned. Almost all of my trips have been early spring in the Bahamas and it tends to be pretty windy then.

A 7wt would be a delight throwing Pflueger Hoys to tailers as the sun touches the horizon
Old 09-06-2006, 03:21 PM

Thanks for all your advise. I'm not sure where I'm going yet just getting information. Of course I could always build another rod.
FishHawk
Old 09-06-2006, 06:24 PM

where will you be fishing? when i went to dead man's caye i used a 6 wt and it was fine even for most (but not all) wind. on grand bahama, i would stick to an 8 wt. reason, bigger fish......much bigger. size of fish, wind and sharks are the determinitive factors. keep in mid these fish are on the flats and are as strong and as spooky as hell. far more so than stripers. if you are under gunned you will lose your fish to sharks....regularly.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:32 PM

I've also gone from 9 to 8 to 7 wt, albeit for fishing the hard-pressured fish on Andros. I think it makes a noticable difference, and I'be learned to control the 7wt in heavier winds with time. One thing to remember: I fish without a stripping basket, letting a loop trail behind me. It takes considerably more effort to break that loop loose of surface tension with a 7 wt than with a heavier rod. In practice this means an extra false cast, which can be disconcerting.
If you stick with a 9 wt, try a 16+' leader.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:51 PM

In the old days a 7wt was considered a good bonefish rod. Now I'm aging myself. Thanks for the advice. I can now see why an 8wt rod is the rod of choice it's in the middle . Will probably get a TFO rod which will fit the bill and not break the bank. However, I enjoy making my own rods using T&T , Winston or Sage blanks they cost more than the TFO rod. Decisions to make when the time gets near.
FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.