Fly line dressing? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 03:41 PM
keeping it simple

Send a message via AIM to rip tide
Fly line dressing?

There is a common household kitchen product that acts like a good lubricator as fly line dressing. A guide I used once keyed me on this secret but I can't remember his words of advice. Anyone out there know what I'm talking about? Maybe it was for cleaning line... I thought he mentioned it was good for lubrication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Flats Rat

Armoral is the one I recall
Old 08-31-2006, 07:56 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Plain ivory soap is good for cleaning residue off floating lines. I use line dressing from the flyshop for reconditioning once cleaned.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-31-2006, 07:59 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
I think much has been written that Armorall has ruined lines. I'd go with the Ivory.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:56 AM
2005 Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Goose-uk Send a message via Skype™ to Goose-uk
Scientific Anglers fly line dressing is the best I have found. It's expensive over here in the UK, about 12.00 if I remember rightly (we are not known as "Rip Off Britain" for nothing) you only need two drops on a soft cloth and the line shoots for miles.

Malcolm

Member of B.A.S.S. www.ukbass.com
Old 08-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Jonesin...

I use a line winder and a cloth with hot water for my lines to get any salt off. I then use the Renew line cleaner tool to apply their cleaner/dressing. After a fresh application the line usually is slick enough to slip through your hands on the haul. I believe it was only about 12 bucks for the tool and another 4-5 for the solution which lasts a while. I think if you read the "owners manual" that comes with the new lines they would only reccomend hot water and mild soap as they each have their own proprietary coatings.

Sean
Old 08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
keeping it simple

Send a message via AIM to rip tide
i have to find my rio booklet.

i don't believe it was amoral.

i'm going to get in the habit of cleaning/lubricating regularly. i've constantly overlooked this...

does everyone else do line maintence on a regular basis?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:48 AM

armorall

im no expert and armorall will not disclose their active ingredient for there slickness. yes armoral can degrade fly lines. but in my experience and others before me who told me of this that the process is much slower than usual offenders such as retained salt cystals, uv light, tip top friction, and the occasional studded wader boot compression. most flylines loose there slickness after 2-3 seasons of hard use and most people who fish as much as i and spend as much as i to outfit and travel to our quarry a new line every two or three years is a drop in the bucket. hence armoral has overall lil effect on this cycle. fwiw this stuff is super slick and with the new toweletts it is wicked easy to use. ive used it for 3-4 years now without any noticable shortcomings. my only question that remains is the smell of the stuff. im not sure if i can identify if fish repel it but it is an unanswered possibility. but i still use it regularly and i still catch enough fish to keep the obsession going.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:05 AM

Rio reccomends STP Son-Of-A-Gun for slicking up their sinking lines.

I rinse mine on the reel with fresh water and occasionally run them through a Sci Anglers cleaning pad. That's about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.