Salmon in da U.P.? - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 03:05 PM

Salmon in da U.P.?

Hi,

I'm new to Michigan having just moved to Marquette from Colorado and I was wondering what info I might be able to get here about fishing the Salmon in the U.P. on L. Superior rivers?

It's been tough for me to find info on the L. Superior salmon fishing, and I'm definitely eager to get on top of it this fall. Any tips help, especially which rivers are generally good (I don't need your hotspots, just rivers that generally HAVE salmon) and typical flies that work well with them (what best represents an Alwive?).

Well, hope to see you all out there and happy fishing.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM

Pick up a copy of Fly Fishing for Great Lakes Steelhead from Rick and Jerry Kustich.

http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Lakes-...sporting-goods

It's a great account of the whole fishery and rivers. I fish the lakes a little to the south and the Alewife patterns we use are anything from chart/white clousers to Speys with white in them like Jones Specials (search this board).

I believe the St. Mary's has fish in it year round. You may want to Google some info on that.

-Chris
Old 09-08-2006, 07:13 PM

St Marys

The St Mary's is a good place to start, the pinks should be in by now. All the Americans that I talked to fished it from the Canadian side. It's a good place to meet other fishermen and network.

Bill G.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.