Matane Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Matane Report

I just returned from the Matane River after fishing it last week (8/27 - 9/2 ). The water was quite low upon arrival, and got lower every day while I was there. They were expecting some rain yesterday, but I think they will need days of hard rain to lift the levels to where everyone would be happy.

The pools were quite low, with many fish everywhere. There were some pools where 200 fish were counted by Quebec "Peche" officials last week. This year, over 2300 fish returned so far, and upwards of 700 were captured (almost 30%).

There was no problem finding fish. The problem was taking them. Between the warm water and slow current, catching was a universal problem. In fact the last two days of fishing (last Friday and Saturday), no captures were reported at all.

When I first arrived, I had action every day. Although I would not fish the popular pools, I did manage to get a take each day on the dry fly, although I could not hold on to any of them. All the fish became "unbuttoned" within seconds of hooking them. This was probably due to the warm water and slow currents and the fishes lethargic state.

I did manage to take one salmon on a wet......in a small run that is not usually fished, as it only looks good in very very low water.....and is not an official pool. The spot was close to my camp so I may have been the only one fishing it. The fish that were lost were all on drys. As the week went on, it got tougher and tougher. If they do not get a good few days of steady rain, you can call it quites for the year.

But it's still nice to see that the Matane still gets approx 2400 fish. If the water levels were good, the fishing would have been fantastic. But it's still one of the most beautiful and intimate rivers that exist.

Howie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 12:09 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Howie
Thanks for the report. I leave this afternoon. Staying in Amqui and will fish Matane or Matapedia for a few days before my annual trip to NB (whichever is best). I know they got rain yesterday afternoon and last night. And there's a possibility of some showers on Wed.
Bill
Old 09-06-2006, 06:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bill -

You are living right my friend!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 AM

Matane Report

Bill.
I dont know if you will be checking your e-mail while your gone but if you are I am leaving Thurs for Grand Cascapedia,Middle Camp.
If your around the area drop in to see me.
It would be nice to see you.
Speyladdie.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:57 AM

Too bad you had to run into low water, Howie. It's been an odd year for water levels. The Gaspe rivers have been extremely low while the Miramichi and rivers to the west have been quite high.

Of the 700 salmon that have been killed on the Matane this year, do you know how many were "captured" below the fishway dam in the "Snake Pit"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	6047  
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Venture

Earl,

Couldn't tell you how many were captured below the dam. Actually, I only saw one fisherman fishing "below the bridge" when I was up there in early July. This time, while in Matane, I never noticed anyone fishing there.

Wonder how NB rivers got high while the Gaspe rivers were low. Sounds like some special weather circumstances, perhaps coastal systems that skirted the Gaspe, while soaking the south eastern regions.

I think they had enough rain in the past few days to wake up or move some fish around to where some will turn to taking a fly. This will give the guys up there a chance or two to hook one......as there are many fish in the river.

Howie

Last edited by Venture; 09-06-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 PM
chromedome

Howie,

Sorry to hear the conditions weren't more cooperative. But it was good to hear that the Matane had goodly numbers of fish.

Bill
Old 09-09-2006, 07:46 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
As I mentioned somewhere else (can't remember and I'm on a dreaded dial-up), arrived Restigouche Hotel late Wed. Bought Quebe C&R licenses Thursday morning. Then saw both Matapedia and Matane and immediately changed plans. Later that afternoon arrived New Brunswick and had a grilse as an immediate dance partner. So, I'll have 10 days on NB instead of 7. Had another grilse today, lost a 15 lb salmon yesterday and had another on briefly today. Life is good.
Neil, would love to see you, but can't leave NB now. Another friend arriving tomorrow nite. Hope you have good fishing.
Best.
Bill
Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Venture

Good that you didn't waste your time in Quebec. The rivers there sound like are in worse than when I left. Nice to hear your quick decision to change plans was rewarded by immediate success. You da'man. Good luck for the rest of the week.

Howie
Old 09-17-2006, 08:27 PM

Just back from NB. I understand that Quebec still has even lower water. Sounds really tough. NB had low water, bright sunshine for 10 days (one morning of rain) and was tough, but generous. Fish on everything from size 10 waker to 1/0 leech. Fish to the mid 20s. Here's a pic of a medium sized (17 lb) buck I'm reviving that fell for a dead drift dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ReviveSm.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	6079  
Old 09-18-2006, 05:47 AM
stop killing wild fish

Has anyone had any luck on the Gaspe, specifically the Matapedia this summer? I spent three days fishing Adams, Hepel, Alice, and Home pool and just watched fish all day. I'm wondering if this is normal?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 AM

John:

Salmon fishing is never easy as you probably are starting to learn. One thing is for sure, though, and that is when people continue to kill large numbers of salmon they eliminate taking fish from the river and from the genetic gene pool. The Matapedia, Matane, and Bonaventure are certainly in that category. The Bonaventure finally hit a wall this year and their dismal runs are showing the toll that past practices have inflicted. The Matane, despite a lot of fish being killed, has not shown any effects YET. I do not know much about the Matapedia other than they kill a lot of fish and the guides there are all too eager to whack a salmon for their sports so they can end their day early. We have 2 clients who came in last night from there and were shocked with attidudes encountered on that river from guides and some involved in management. Suffice it to say that was their first and last trip there.

To be sure, there are no secrets or sure fired ways to catch salmon other than to keep casting. However, rivers we have better catch rates on per angling day are Grande and St. Jean (they are C&R rivers; any corrollation here?). I also understand the Petite Cas has higher cacth rates than the average Quebec River. One piece of advice might be to try some of these rivers and support those who oppose killing large, wild salmon.

Just my opinion,

Bill
Old 09-18-2006, 10:05 AM

John,

My experience on the Matapedia is exactly opposite to that described by Billg.

I have been fishing the Matapedia since 1987, although I have not been back since the 2003 season. My guides have always been more than willing to fish C&R and have encouraged the purchase of C&R licenses, when they became available. Thus, contrary to Billg's experience, taking the chance of extending the fishing day has not been much of a consideration with the guides with whom I have had personal experience.

As far as catching is concerned, I agree with Billg -- keep your fly in the water. I have had trips where I couldn't raise a fish, and others -- like the one in 2003 -- where I couldn't keep them off my hook. You just have to enjoy the fishing experience and view hooking a fish as a bonus. BTW, it seems you always hook the first fish when you are least expecting it, so stay alert.

CK
Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 PM

John
The runs on the Matane are VERY healthy and that INCLUDES this year .The #1 problem and that includes ALL of Gaspe has been the friggin lack of rain and the extremely low water. AS CK mentioned (and double check on this year's posts here) some fishing on the Matapedia has ben spectacular.Mario and the crew did the fish count 2 weeks back and immediately bought a pass for the evening.Heppel for some strange reason has been almost a total dud this year.
The Bonaventure ? Check out places where the canoes HAVEN'T been running.
Having said THAT.,remember my post from earlier this year saying it'll all be over by the 3rd week in June ?? The Petite stays sorta OK because of it's cold temps which stay that way all summer ,unlike the tannin stained Matapedia etc .rivers which "collect " the sunlight and tend to heat up. Bright spot in Quebec this year has been the North shore !!
cheers
Old 09-18-2006, 05:57 PM

Bill
Richard Firth does , IMHO (and a s--tload of other Salmon folk), an excellent job of Managing CGRMP. Funny that your 2 "sports" ran into such an unsundary experience?Would you mind posting ,here, the name of the guide ??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.