Miramichi end of September? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 11:04 AM
In moderation

Miramichi end of September?

Hi Everyone I am going to fish the Miramichi at the end of September.
Can anyone give me some advice re equipment to bring, Lines, leaders, flies.
I am normally used to fishing European rivers with a 15ft #10 rod.
I understand that this is not the done thing. Or is it that the river is small enough to use single handed rods.

Any advice will be much apreciated.

Thanks

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 11:37 AM

where will you be fishing? if you are using a single handed rod, an 8wt is typically what is used. 9'-101/2 ft as you will be doing a lot of mending.the river is good size but most of the lies are within reach. in my experience there is little need for extreme length in casting and generally there is plenty of room for back casts. that said, i do bring my 14' 7/8/9 wt spey rod, but i do not use it that much. but there are timesa and places that it will come in handy. 6-12lb test leader depending on water flow. 8 lb is optimum in my opinion. good luck
Old 09-04-2006, 11:53 AM

Pete, I'm also going to be fishing the Miramichi this September (15 thru 23). It will be my 19th year on the river. The Miramichi is a good sized river and your 15 ft. rod will work well and might be an advantage in some of the larger pools. My rod of chioice is a 9 ft. - 9 wt. 8lb. leaders are normal, but you might want to go up or down depending upon water conditions. My favorite fly is the Green Undertaker which is posted on the salmon/steelhead fly section of this website. I also like Ally's Shrimp, Yellow Butter Fly, Green Machine, Undertaker and Shady Lady in sizes 6 and 8. Dry flies don't seem to work quite so well in the late season.

Good Luck!!!!

Earle Fletcher
Old 09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

I fish every Fall the last week of Sept, first week of Oct. I use both single and double handed rods. The Northwest, Little Southwest, Sevogle, Renous and Cains rivers all require only a single handed rod ( 9-10 foot, 8-10 wt). Each river can be a great experience with superb fishing depending on the year. The Main Southwest Miramichi can be fished with either single or double handed rods, although a grilse or 8-10 pound salmon is not much work on a big 15 footer.

I like the shrimp patterns in the Fall in the mornings or evenings, plus a copper killer, green machine, shady lady, bear hair green and red butts, and a squirrel tail will be a good start for flies. I use mostly doubles, size 6-10, but mix it up accordingly. Don't forget a sink tip.

Having fished for Atlantics all over the world, the Fall run on the Miramichi system is a treasure.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y.

Pic is a Fall fish 04.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004  miramichi.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	6045  
Old 09-05-2006, 08:20 AM
In moderation

Thanks for the input.
I will take a couple of 9ft #9 rods.

I was thinking about taking a floating line and also maybe an intermediate.
There is mention of a sink tip. - What sort of sink tip do you recomend?
A fast sinker, slow sinker, and how long or will a sinking leader be OK?

Thanks again.

Pete
Old 09-05-2006, 09:24 AM

Someone above asked where you will be fishing, which is important to know when suggesting lines and flies.

In my experience, fishing the MSW since 1984, sink tip lines are almost never used in the summer or fall (they are used in the spring). I fished the area last October when the rivers were completely blown out and still used floating lines effectively. An intermediate may have been useful, but we caught fish on the floaters.

Two flies that were not mentioned are the L.T. Special and the Chief Nebedah (usually in size 4, but sometimes as large as size 2), both are streamers and both are very effective. Those two flies as well as the Copper Killer and Buc Bugs in various color combinations (especially varying the tail colors) are my favorites in the fall. I fished there once during the third week in September (on the Home Pool at Pond's) when Bombers were very effective, but that usually is not the case.

As far as rods are concerned, most fishing is done close-in so 9-footers are all you need. Having said that, I use an 11-foot, 7-weight Winston BIIx and love it for that river system, especially on the Cains. I'll be there at the end of September, so if you see someone flogging the water with an 11-foot rod, it most likely will be me.

Good luck. You'll have fun regardless of whether the fish cooperate.

CK
Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

For the Main Southwest Miramichi I bring sink tips od 10-15 feet type 3, 6 and 8.

I usually fish floating lines only, unless I strike out and the guys I fish with strike out ( and since we presumably know what we are doing it must be that we need to try sink tips right?). Then we break out the sink tips and go with the type and length of sink tip based on the water you are fishing. In my mind, you are fishing a sink tip to get down, so you need to be hitting bottom every once in a while. As has been pointed out before, the leader with a sink tip needs to be short, 18-24 inches, and typically heavy leader in the 18-30 pound class. If the leader is too long, you are defeating the purpose of the sink tip as the fly will rise up in the water column. If the leader is not heavy enough, problems will arise with casting and the fly swinging properly. Oh yeah, use maxima ( my holy grail for Atlantics).

When fish are in the river, in a good mood and people are getting action on a floating line, I would not resort to the sink tip since it is a pain in the ass most of the time. Some years though we have had 1 or 2 on floating and the rest on sink tips while other guys fishing are only getting limited action on the floating systems.

Good luck and post some pics of fish when you get back.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y
Old 09-05-2006, 10:10 AM
In moderation

Hi everyone
Thanks again for all the info.

I will be fishing at Pond's.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.