Shad Hole Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006, 07:27 PM
resigned

Shad Hole Report

7:45pm Monday night. Strong drizzle.....dead low tide.....light NE Breeze.......light fog....perfect conditions. Scouting mission.....Hickory Shad. Tiny Bay Anchovie colored deceiver. Eight weight Scott STS.

First cast......fish on. A juvenile Hickory Shad in the 10" range. Two jumps......BIG trouble. Big bass appeared out of nowhere! Managed to cuda style strip the shad back to the rock dropoff under my feet so I could get a look at it. While it was suspended below, many....many... very long shapes appeared......circling......swiping..........slapp ing with their tails. A few lifetime bests right under my nose! One grabbed it......I yanked it back. Carnage ensued as bass after bass grew infuriated at the easy meal that darted back and forth to flee the endless attempts at being swallowed. Uh......ohhhhhhh! Backing.
Too much.....too fast. Put the brakes on. Fish fed. #8 hook.....nonstainless... no barb but I'm not happy about leaving it in the fish.

Tried numerous flies. None big enough. All refused. Big flies were left home waiting for the purchase of an 11 wieght with a fore grip. Perhaps by springtime if I'm lucky. What a dilema. Big fish wrong tools.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Phil...

if things go well this week at the dayjob I will try to sneak down to kick off my labor day weekend... will know tomorrow / thurs

thanks for the aNxiEty aTtaCk!!!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2006, 04:01 PM

live on the edge

Come on Phil go for it with the 8 wt. Throw on a 4 ft leader of 50 lb test and hang on .It can be done,push the envelope my friend.I gaurantee if you can make it through the fist two runs your home free ,just walk that dog home.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:30 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperstripper
Come on Phil go for it with the 8 wt. Throw on a 4 ft leader of 50 lb test and hang on .It can be done,push the envelope my friend.I gaurantee if you can make it through the fist two runs your home free ,just walk that dog home.
This is not a dog we're talking about here. More like a calf that walks me! Over rocks! Big rocks. Broke a ten weight last year that was not waranteed trying to walk one of these dogs. Tried my 9# Loomis Nautikos last year. Lost two lines to the rocks. These beasts need to be spanked hard and fast.

Phil
Old 08-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
These beasts need to be spanked hard and fast.
Yes, they do.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Phil,
I was at the shad hole today and scarfed up several unwilling participants. They were unceremoniously fed to a 42, 40, and 42 in that order. You are right they are beasts and an 8 wt. would be like trying to land em' with a toothpick I waved the wand earlier in the day to no avail and finally decided that if I were to go home with anything worth talking about I was going to have to feed them some gourmet food and not Jenny Craig. They liked it..... And so did I salvaged the day in a big way. On another note NO I repeat NO tunoid type creatures anywhere in the eastern end of the pond.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:34 PM

Guys,
Are you will to tell this small, friendly community where this place is?

I promise I will not fish there....

Thanks,
Quinn
Old 09-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Mystic CT. is the place but unless you have intimate knowledge of the area I would not recommend fishing there without hooking up with Bonefishmon first. It is a large marina with many large boats coming and going and unless you know where to go you will drive yourself nuts. It by the way is not a secret spot and many people know about the shad population, just many don't bother to fish the resident fish that are always around feeding on the abundant bait source. There are also resident "pets" that I would not advise you fishing for as the locals where I run my boat will get bent out of shape real fast if they see you catching their fish.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:01 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Phil,

I'll be fishing off my Kayak with a newbie around mystic tonight. Looking forward to a full moon and hopefully active fish feeding tonight. Perhaps I can hook up with you to test out my Atlantis and big flies on some of those fish. I'll be in a yellow prowler with my cohort in an orange prowler. I'm new to the area so not sure the best access points, sent you a PM.

Tight lines,
Greg.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:42 AM
resigned

Greg. Sorry we didn't hook up last night. Please give us a report when you get a chance. Seems to me that the forage fish maybe further up in the river. This may be a good week to concentrate on the salt ponds in RI. I saw a load of bait fish coming out on the drop.

Phil
Old 09-09-2006, 12:33 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Phil,

It was a beautiful night last night to be out on the water. Got into the fish right away. Your'e right about where the bait fish were, very fishy. You could smell the bunker in the air and the fish were plentiful. Thanks for the info on where to launch, very nice spot. I will be back and hopefully we can hook up then. Met some other nice fellas that were out Kayak fishin. Apparently there are there every friday and saturday night. I'll have to ask you sometime about camping around there, driving home early in the morning after working all day and late night fishing it's tough to stay awake.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:02 AM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD
Hi Phil,

It was a beautiful night last night to be out on the water. Got into the fish right away. Your'e right about where the bait fish were, very fishy. You could smell the bunker in the air and the fish were plentiful. Thanks for the info on where to launch, very nice spot. I will be back and hopefully we can hook up then. Met some other nice fellas that were out Kayak fishin. Apparently there are there every friday and saturday night. I'll have to ask you sometime about camping around there, driving home early in the morning after working all day and late night fishing it's tough to stay awake.

Thanks,
Greg.
There is a KOA at the end of Rt.27 in Old Mystic........or my couch! LOL! Happy to hear you found the evening you were looking for. Did you jump any shad?

Phil
Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 AM
swmmn w/ bwlggd wmmn

great thread! I'm new to flies in the salt (as well as to this website), so I'm glad to find a resource such as this.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurtiss1970
great thread! I'm new to flies in the salt (as well as to this website), so I'm glad to find a resource such as this.
Welcome aboard McCurtis! Please fill us in as to your needs and we will try and fulfill them. Join us for the Rhoddy Clave if you can. What better way to introduce yourself. I will supply a rod reel and flies if need be. Where do you hail from?

Phil
Old 09-14-2006, 05:48 PM
swmmn w/ bwlggd wmmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
Welcome aboard McCurtis! Please fill us in as to your needs and we will try and fulfill them. Join us for the Rhoddy Clave if you can. What better way to introduce yourself. I will supply a rod reel and flies if need be. Where do you hail from?

Phil

thanks phil. i'm currently getting ready to order an outfit from burleson sporting and i've tied a few salty flies already. my boat is based near noank village boatyard, and we live in mystic. i'm itching to start but not quite there yet.

i'd like to get more involved in the claves and such. my wife and i both grew up in the mystic area, so now that we've moved home (finally) we're looking to get active in stuff we enjoy.

thanks for the welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.