guide recommendations- nantucket - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 10:32 AM

guide recommendations- nantucket

i'm heading to nantucket for biz on 9/21 and will be there for the weekend with my wife. looking for a good guide for false albacore or stripers. called a few, but i can't figure if they're for real or simply rip off artists i.e. $400-$450 for a half day! any recommendations of legit guides at reasonable rates($400 or so per day) is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Call the Rusty Fly.....Pete is very cool....and works hard...he has 2 boats so can accomadate you for whatever type fishing you want to do

I used him in July....had a great time.....caught lots of blues....couple small stripers at first light
Old 08-27-2006, 03:17 PM

thanks, but he's one of the guides i called. he quoted $400 FOR A HALF DAY. i thought i misheard him, but he confirmed the price-and that's without a gun.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:39 PM

Price is about right

I just used a great guy out of the Orvis shop in Harwich. $450 for 6 hours... I went with my wife. Caught tons of blues and one striper. I told him we just wanted fish and perferred blues.....

I agree the prices are VERY high, but that seems to be the going rate. I have to say that our guide worked hard for us and we stayed out longer then we payed for.

Quinn
Old 08-27-2006, 06:11 PM

thanks quinn, i'll give him a shout
Old 08-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Jonesin...

I think if you do some quick math (i.e. fuel, gear, maitenance costs, slip fees etc...) you will find those guys you called are far from rip off artists. Keep in mind I don't think you can just take the day rate and cut it in half for a half day. Most likely that guide can't book a second trip for that day and I would think has to do the same amount of prep work whether you are going out for one hour or 10. Therfore the only variable cost might be the fuel and even that would be minimal as you still have to get to and from the fishing grounds.

Sean
Old 08-28-2006, 05:28 PM
fish'n Hobo

The price of gas on ACK is very high.
even higher at the marina.
You might try Ken Panececk of KenCatch Charters.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:50 PM

while i appreciate the cost of gas and all the other factors involved in guiding, it is not lost on me that the nantucket guides are at least twice the price as high priced guides most anywhere else, and almost 3 times the price of moderately priced guides. don't forget that we are talking about unlicensed and unregulated fishing guides who make no guarantees that they can even find fish .
Old 08-28-2006, 06:08 PM
fish'n Hobo

you might try walking Smith's or Great Points. Fish inside and outside.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:12 PM

thanks jim. perhaps i'm bitchin' a bit too much but the thought that i'm being played for a chump really gets my arse. to hear anglers try to justify highway robbery is even more disconcerting. no wonder the guides think we're a bottomless pit of money. you know, i was recently in canada and the guides invieted me to a spring salmon fishing extravaganza where they fish exclusively from boats for salmon. gas is at least $1.25 a galloon higher . the price-$150 per day. this is canada, not bangla desh! where do the nantucket guides get off charging $400 for a half day? anyway, thanks for the tip.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
BB5 Survivor

check your PM
Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 AM
fish'n Hobo

Man .... I wish I could get out there with my Grady! I'd certainly take you fishing.

FWIW
I'd bet the gas at Madaket Marine is close to $5/gal. My boat has a 80 gal tank. $400 to fill her up in ACK! Not trying to belabor this .... but I don't think the guides are getting rich out there.

It's just so expensive to live there .... beleive me, I've looked into relocating my family, home and business to Nantucket.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:30 PM

perhaps i've been a bit testy on the subject. that said, i accept your analysis that it's much more expensive on nantucket, but, not more than twice as expensive. maybe both notions are true- it's more expensive and they gouge.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:16 AM

Nantucket is a very expensive place. No surprise that they are charging you $400 for half a day . It what the traffic will bear. Perhaps you could get a guide on the Cape that would take you over there for less money. FishHawk.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:52 PM

Check out w ww.capttom.com and ww w.crossrip.com. I fished with Capt. Tom's guys and had a great time. You could also Google Jaime Boyle and see if he has any openings. He is an innovative tyer and, it seems, very competent guide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.