Puerto Rico Virgin Territory Trip - New Date - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Puerto Rico Virgin Territory Trip - New Date

After assessing other events, Dave17 and I have decided to re-schedule the PR trip until October 29-29th and surrounding extra days (either before or after).

We feel confident that these will be the firm dates for the excursion. Others in good health, adventurous spirit or exceptional skill at dominoes are encouraged to join us.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 06:27 AM

October 29 + / -

hmmmm ex.domino player needed for PR Tarpon trip ????

I just may know someone that fits the bill...

Although its a way off, I think I can tentatively say I will join you.... its a place I have always wanted to explore.

Dave did you get the emails on PR fishing I forwarded to you ?

Some interesting info in there..... Looks like there are good possibilities...

I will go dig up more info... I think I had a bunch of web sites saved somewhere that were of interest also.

Keep me in the loop ....
Old 08-24-2006, 08:39 AM

Hey Frank:

Can you send some information over this way, if you don't mind. Thanks in advance. Thomas.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:53 AM

sent you an email.

Trucha - Will send you what I have...

Dave17 ... I will assume you have forwarded all info to Juro

These are old emails and web sites I have found over the past few years and hopefully they will give us some insight into the fishery...
Old 08-24-2006, 02:15 PM

Frank,

Thanks, got all the info. Haven't sent anything to Juro yet.

Juro - do you want me to send the info? If so PM the email address you want me to send them to.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:11 PM

yipeeeee i can go with you guys keep me in the loop since that is a sunday i will assume that the other days are thurs and friday or mon and tues. just let me know
fish we must
chuck
Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 PM

Sounds like this is turning into a nice little foursome
Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 AM

Smile Interested!

I'm a new member and new at all this, however I could not let this potential trip past without possibly getting involved. I live on the Island of St.Croix and am interested in joining you all for the PR adventure. I've been living in the VI for 42 plus years and have traveled around PR quite alot, unfortuneately though, without my fly rod. Only once, several years ago, went tarpon fishing in the San Juan Lagoon area...bad weather, no fish but lots of cold beer! Have been to Culebra, but years ago on a spearfishing trip. Let me know if there's space and how I can be of help!

Bruce
Old 09-11-2006, 08:18 AM

Yer IN! Might have to limit the initial trip to number of passengers in the rental car
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 AM

Smile need help?

Thanks! If there is anything I can do in advance let me know. Has anyone in our group traveled thoughout PR? The coast line is basically assessable from there major road system. It does take a a little time to drive to the west side though, depending on traffic about 90 -120 minutes. Most of the major car rentals have mini-vans...might be a good idea with all the fishn' stuff. Anyway...let me know how I can be of assisstance! In the future maybe a trip to my waters, both the US and British Virgin Islands, may be in order!

Bruce
Old 09-11-2006, 09:14 AM

Have you camped in that gorgeous campground on the north side of Culebra?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:38 AM

Pr trip

No...but I have stayed in the little town but it was several years ago during my spearfishing days. A friend of mine has family on Culebra with a guest house/cottages. Believe also has a boat. Little whaler I believe. Would you like me to check this out? Only a little (90 Min =/-) from Fajardo by ferry. Fajardo is about 90 min from San Juan. Ferry is cheap! Used to be around 2-3 bucks each way...can check it out as well if need be. Jeep rental on Culebra to get to outer beaches/bays is also possible. Have you considered Veiques? I have not been there but also easy to get to from Fajardo and supposedly has good flats...possibly not as fished as Culebra. I fly over it often and looks as good as Culebra.

Bruce
Old 09-11-2006, 11:13 AM

Pr trip

No...but I have stayed in the little town but it was several years ago during my spearfishing days. A friend of mine has family on Culebra with a guest house/cottages. Believe also has a boat. Little whaler I believe. Would you like me to check this out? Only a little (90 Min =/-) from Fajardo by ferry. Fajardo is about 90 min from San Juan. Ferry is cheap! Used to be around 2-3 bucks each way...can check it out as well if need be. Jeep rental on Culebra to get to outer beaches/bays is also possible. Have you considered Veiques? I have not been there but also easy to get to from Fajardo and supposedly has good flats...possibly not as fished as Culebra. I fly over it often and looks as good as Culebra.

Bruce
Old 09-11-2006, 05:35 PM

If more people sign up than 4 !

it wont be a bad thing if we have more than 4 people ..

I think the areas to the Soutwest are supposed to be good...

But I also have heard about the areas to the East in the Fajardo area and the islands off the East coast Vieques and Culebra...

So if a larger group split into two and one group goes East and one West and we communicate via cell phones we could cover the whole island... if one group finds great success and the other fails we meet at the good area !
Old 09-13-2006, 08:13 AM

PR Ideas

Have checked up a little on Pr...heres some thoughts. Tarpon fishing in the San Juan area (lagoons) is to be good this time of year. Mostly if not completely unwadeable. Poluted water and soft bottom. I think we may need to have boat access. Several guides are available...easy access on internet. Fajardo Bay (south-eastern tip) is also to be good but may also need boat access. Fajardo is about one hour from San Juan (major highway) and follows the coast. May be places along the way to explore but usually very crowed on weekends (PR has about half a million people, mostly in San Juan area).

South-west PR is to be explored. Cabo Rojo (town) area by Boqueron Bay. May have wadeable flats. May need boat to access tarpon. Guides here as well. Drive thru Ponce and by south shore of PR. May find places along the way and not as crowed. La Parquera is another possibility. North shore is really not good unless offshore. South shore has lots of lagoons, river moths etc. Drive to Cabo Rojo about 2 hours. Either oiver mountains (faster from San Juan) or by Fajardo.

Culebra...campsite is by Flamingo Bay. Around 500 campsites. This time of year, being hurricane season and quite rainy, expect lots of misquitoes. Vieques also has a camping area. Easy access to flats and lagoons on both but may need a boat to get to uncrowed areas, tarpon waters. Guides available on both as well. Either fly ($$$) or take ferry (cheap!) from Fajardo. Do not believe you can travel from Culebra to Vieques directly...must go thru Fajardo unfotuneatly.

Hope this helps with the planning!

Any one who wants to stop off on St.Croix first, on way to PR, let me know. This time of year is usually good permit action on our south shore (very wadeable). If you don't get a shot at a permit the beers on me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.