Fishing in September/October - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 AM

Fishing in September/October

Hello Everyone
I am new to this forum but I have heard it is the best for info on striper fishing.

I am thinking about a trip to the States at the End of September or the beginning of Oktober to fish for stripers and blufish.

I don't really know much about this apart from a few articles that I have read.

Any input you could give me about where to go, what type of fishing, dates, etc. etc. would be very much apreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Lev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Lev -

A warm welcome from New England! We are pleased to hear that the Forum has such a fine reputation abroad, all modesty aside I would have to say when it comes to fly-fishing for stripers and blues it could very well be true.

That is a fine time to fish the coastline, and whether you decide to drive along the coast and experience the varieties of shorelines and coastal townships from Maine to Rhode Island, or just camp out on Cape Cod you will have a great experience.

Give us some more detail on your arrival dates and perhaps we can show you around our home waters.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-21-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levfly
Hello Everyone
I am new to this forum but I have heard it is the best for info on striper fishing.
I am thinking about a trip to the States at the End of September or the beginning of Oktober to fish for stripers and blufish.
I don't really know much about this apart from a few articles that I have read.
Any input you could give me about where to go, what type of fishing, dates, etc. etc. would be very much apreciated.
Thank you in advance. Lev
I would favor late September over October if you crossing the pond to get here. The weather in southern New England is usually more stable in September than in October. Yes, October can and does have more blitz fishing, but weather fronts can also mess up the boating and fishing (as it did last season). In September, (in Rhode Island) you can count on striped bass and bluefish, as well as false albacore and bonito being around.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Jonesin...

I think Rockfisherman makes a good point about the weather. Last year I took the 3rd week in September off to fish from a boat and only had one day I stayed off the water due to weather. I also agree that the October weather made it tough to get out. If this is your first time and you are investing your time and money into coming over I would strongly suggest getting a least a day or two with a quality guide. You can't go wrong with either the Cape or RI that time of year. A weekday at Montauk could be epic but you probably won't be able to get any time with the guides this late in the season.

Best of luck,

Sean
Old 08-24-2006, 03:19 AM

Thanks for the input.

I am slowly narrowing things down to the 3rd week in September. ca 18th.

Where would be the be the best place to go?

You mention the Cape and RI. Is one better than the other or should I consider both.

How about guides?

Lev
Old 08-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Fly chucker

Rhode Island guides:

Capt Ray at www.castaflycharters.com

and

Capt Bobby Hines at www.flyfishri.com

These guys are great, and both are long time supporters of the flyfishing forum.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Flats Rat

And for Cape Cod you could do worse than book a guided shore day with Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.