Monomoy Yesterday - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Monomoy Yesterday

From last to first...

Lots of blues on the outside and schoolies leaping out of the waves to take the fly as I lifted it as darkness fell. Silversides getting blitzed onto the beach scoopable with the stripping basket by the hundreds. Nothing big hooked but the blues were ridiculously tough in the surf as usual. I am sure big fish were lurking around, I wasn't set up right for night fishing. It sure put the bug back in me to go exploring with my big black foamhead diver on the type 9 sinker on the Atlantis at night to continue the eye-popping experiment last year where a sink hole in the dark water the size of a kitchen table took the foot long offering for a ride before coming loose.

Active blitzing in the afternoon on the upper basin (right in front of the stairs) but out 200 yards stretching across the entire span. Bait is inside but way up and the water is cool pretty much everywhere except the L-M bouy area and upper tub. Things are changing fast.

Mid-day through afternoon outgoing was humbling, got one cow to eat but I didn't make the set and landed a couple of schoolies on the flats but the majority of big fish were elusive. These fish were not in the mood, in fact Craig didn't do much either over the four hours.

However in the morning these fish were active on the flood (while I ran errands) and Craig landed a few over 30". He had a very close encounter with a seal that got a fish about 32" and his fly.

By the time I got fishing (12:30ish) the bite was off. I should've been there syndrome. Same thing happened last year in this spot as I recall. Still it was good to get out as I have spent very little time doing the acutal fishing this season despite being out there quite a bit observing.

Neither Craig nor I saw a single grass shrimp on the flats again. Pea bunker were very small where some larger ones have been around lately on the sound. Lots of silversides on the ocean side. Did not see terns flying overhead with large sand eels from the northeast because of the abundance of bait within the compound, and it being peanut bunker.

Made a pit stop at Smitty's place in Kingston... if you do any tying with long premium hackles (ala flatwing style) you need to call him right away and ask about the specials. I dumped some cash on the incredible bargains he had going and continued on.

Where are my billfish popper heads again... I am overdue for some night fishing.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 08-20-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2006, 02:38 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Craig is on a roll unlocking the ones that have lockjaw for the majority. While the outgoing has been the most productive for me and others lately, I think you can get bigs to eat in the early a.m. on the flats. A big factor is presentation and a juicy morsel, not small peanuts.

Thanks for the report. Won't be long until we will get a peek at hardtails.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:48 PM

My sense is it's more of a time of day factor as you had good luck in the morning on the opposite tide. Craig had his luck only in the morning as well.

Boy I will tell you that I got the big beach bug bad last night! I am calling around looking for those big black billfish foam heads as I seem to have misplaced the ones I bought last year.

Harry Koons had a day out on the north inlet recently, the tinker macs came to the beach and were pounded by 30# bass in the suds. Lasted for hours
Old 08-20-2006, 06:27 PM

how about a phone number for those hackles thanks juro
Old 08-21-2006, 06:42 AM

Smitty is a former sponsor...

rodbuildersworkshop.com

Griz, you won't believe the deal and it won't last long I'm sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.