Acklins - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 05:57 PM

Acklins

I will be doing week long trips to Acklins again this Feb and Mar, and have a few spots open. They are a bit more than the DIY's (and a lot less than a lodge!) but include guides, food, a large sea-worthy flats boat with a 150 Merc and access to the Cays, tarpon lakes and permit flats that can not be walked into, as well as limited blue water weather permiting. I feel it is a great option between the DIY and lodge options. Three guys per week works best but four is do-able. I can also fit singles in with pairs of my regulars.

I'm at 406 222 7979 evenings or bergquist00@aol.com for details.

You guys coming back over to paradise again Juro?

P.S. The lodge project is is on hold due to "technical difficulties".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Hi Bob
Just got back from the west. As I mentioned, I'll probably see what you have available once plans are firm. Benharts was challenging as always, but quite productive.
Best,
Bill
Old 08-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bob -

My year wouldn't be complete without the trip to bonefish 'heaven'... you bet I will be there in fact I have already started to get my gear together for the trip. Funny how I tend to need LESS now that I thought the first time, eventually I will show up like Jimmy Buffet (bottle opener, flip flops and a flyrod).
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-20-2006, 09:20 PM

Bill,

Benharts is always my favorite creek to fish...guiding it can be tough. Last year I got a call from a guy for a trip, he had booked MZ and requested I teach his wife how to fly fish and asked that she "catch a lot of fish"! She managed six to his skunking!

Juro,

I know what you mean, I'm down to a couple rods and a couple shirts and shorts plus flys, leader and tippet. On Acklins though I have the Jeep full of gear prepositioned, so travel is easy.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:43 PM

Bob -

We have many reasons to thank you: great hidden spots, flies that seal the deal, etc... however of all these I have to thank you most for the referral to Katherine Hanna's home cooking!

A wonderful island with wonderful people, I hope someday I can visit more often through the year and stay longer when I do - perhaps once I get through these next few years.

So when will you begin booking groups to arrive? I think I know several people who would enjoy your arrangement.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:18 AM

Bob,

how do you arrange the Bahamian work and guiding permit while down there? Am I wrong in assuming you have to be a Bahamian national to guide fishermen in the Bahamas? Now I wonder if that was one of those 'urban myths'.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josko
Bob,

how do you arrange the Bahamian work and guiding permit while down there? Am I wrong in assuming you have to be a Bahamian national to guide fishermen in the Bahamas? Now I wonder if that was one of those 'urban myths'.
I don't guide there, I have a Bahamian Corp. and hire locals for the cooking, guiding etc. The guides from Salina Point that I have been training will be running the boats, and many of the folks that come over are self guided only requiring transport to the cays or remote flats.

Juro, Feb through March again.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 PM

Can't wait Bob! Seasons not even done here yet but I am already Acklins dreamin'

Josko, you'd love it - why don't you join us.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:30 AM

Bob,
You mentioned guides from Salina Point. I know this is the southern most and probably the most isolated community on Acklins. Is the fishing done mostly in the southern part of the island? Is the room and board you provide also located there? I have visited Salina Point but never fished in that area as the spots that looked bonefishy seemed well off the beaten path. Thats not bad if you know how to get to them.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:51 AM

Hi Swalt -

As you may recall we explored the south end a fair amount and I agree, the south end offers the most virgin of the virgin experiences where even the most hard-hit areas on Acklins are less beat than the least on many other venues I could think of.

I won't answer for Bob especially since his explorations are on a killer flats boat but where we do death marches to explore the hinterlands he tells us what's beyond our limits and we salivate. He is tapped into the permit situation and also hearing of wahoo blitzes on shallow bight waters just gets the blood boiling too.

However what we've found was mind-boggling in it;s own right for wading bonefish anglers as you already know!

I am getting Acklins fever!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:23 PM

We use one side of Felton's house, but have our own Jeep and flats boat. We fish near Salina Point, the Fish Cays, Long Cay and the South (ocean) side.
We stay clear of the north end of the bight out of respect for the lodges. As such we seldom have seen another guide boat, much less shared a flat. We have the option of mooring the boat at Salina or at Delectable Bay. We also do a bit of blue water fishing and lobster spearing around Castle Island.

You are right about Salina Point, it is the most remote settlement in the Bahamas. The people really have welcomed us. A highlight of the week is a night of pool and beers with the guys down there. And the flats are full of bones, with several permit points/bars and no hiking in possible!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:04 PM

Bob,

I'm ready!!! I've been practicing my over-the-shoulder, 10' behind my backside cast and trying to grow eyeballs in the back of my head to get ready for those sneaky rascals that keep swimming up to my heals when I'm trying to make a cast! And I promise to never again jerk the popper away from a 5 foot attacking cuda! No promises on not turning into a water-frothing, trembling ball of mush wrapped up in fly line when the permit swim by though! Sounds like you have had an intensely busy summer.

Tim
Old 08-26-2006, 09:00 PM

Tim,

Perehaps we can rig some rear view mirrors on your glasses, it was amazing how many times they got within a few feet of you. Permit tend to do that to folks!

This summer has been busy, two days off the water since mid June... I need to learn how to say no!

Drove by your store on the way to McCoys last week, but you were not in yet.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:08 AM

Bob,

Terry and were high bidders on a two rod day on McCoy for next spring at the T.U. Banquet in Twin Bridges this evening. I've never fished it, but Terry said you had spoke quite highly of it. I should be able to do a fine job of putting every trout in the creek down for a good week!!! We're looking forward to it - but not as much as Acklins!

Tim
Old 08-28-2006, 07:56 AM

What day? I'll block it out and show you the place perhaps. Last week it was a tough choice of fishing to 22 inchers sipping spinners on the flats or banging regulation 18 inchers on hoppers in the squiggles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.