Great Lakes 2006 Steelhead-Spey Day - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 11:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dornblaser
Great Lakes 2006 Steelhead-Spey Day

Just a reminder that the Upper Midwest Steelhead-Spey Day (Michigan, Wisconsin, and northern Illinois and Indiana) is Sunday, September 10th from 10 am - 5 pm at Island Park, Momence, Illinois. Everyone is welcome, there will not be a charge for the event. However, since this is a first time event, we ask that you sign up to help us better organize the event.

Some of the Highlights:
  • Robert Meiser, of Meiser Fly Rods, will be demonstrating Switch Rod techniques.
  • Mike Kinney will be demonstrating skagit-style casting techniques.
  • John Breslin will be demonstrating spey casts on a single-handed rod.
  • Lee Davison, of CND, will be offering beginning spey casting instruction.
  • Plus, numerous rods to try, lunch cooked by our local FFF chapter, Spey fly tying demonstrations. A raffle that includes three spey rods.

It should be a full and informative day. To sign-up and for more details please visit: http://www.uppermidwestflyfishing.co.../Steelhead.htm or email me at dornblaser@uppermidwestflyfishing.com This is not-for-profit and non-commercial event. Everyone is welcome.
See you on the 10th!

David Dornblaser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like a great event!

I would love to come out and hang out with the group. I've been to a few events in the midwest over the last few years and enjoyed them thoroughly.

If anyone is interested in formal Spey lessons in private or small group sizes to cover my expenses for flights / lodging, etc - please drop me a PM.

David, if I can justify the expenses this way I would love to offer a demonstration to the agenda if there is room.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-20-2006, 11:10 PM

Juro,

There is always room for you. A PM is enroute to see what what we can do to make it happen.

- David
Old 08-21-2006, 06:40 AM

Thank you David! I hope we can work it out.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:17 PM

Our Steelhead-Spey Day is drawing near. We are expecting a great turn-out, lots of rods to demo, and some great presentations. The river is large and is divided by Island Park, there will not be a waiting time for river space to demo rods. We look forward to seeing you there. Here are some updates:

Directions & Details: We have updated some of the website pages. http://www.uppermidwestflyfishing.co.../Steelhead.htm

Mike Kinney Casting Lessons: It is indeed a treat to have Mike Kinney making his first appearance in the Great Lakes at our Steelhead-Spey Day. Because of a cancellation there is ONE opening for the Mike Kinney casting clinic. The Mike Kinney lessons will be given, Saturday, September 9th starting at 10:00 am at the Island Park, Momence, IL. The lessons will include approximately 6 hours of instruction and because the class size is limited, Mike Kinney will be able to give you personal attention, regardless of your skill level. The cost for the lessons is $225.00 per person. As the lessons are strictly limited as to the number of attendees, we ask that you complete your reservation with the payment of Mike's fee. You are also invited to join us for the pre-Event dinner Saturday night as well. http://www.uppermidwestflyfishing.co...MikeKinney.htm (Link to PayPal button).

Dec Hogan's new book, A Passion for Steelhead: Through a special arrangement with Dec's publisher, we will have 50 advance copies of Dec's new book for sale BEFORE Amazon.com and others receive them (we are picking the books directly from the warehouse which is in Chicago). The book sells for $59.95 and if your order on-line you can either pick up the book at the Steelhead-Spey Day or we will mail it to you for free. The proceeds from the sale of the book helps support the Steelhead-Spey Day. http://www.uppermidwestflyfishing.co...s/DecHogan.htm

Some advance praise for Dec's book:

"A classic," says western New York's Rick Kustich, co-author of Fly Fishing for Great Lakes Steelhead. "Should be the centerpice of every steelheader's library."

“A Passion for Steelhead is the right title for Dec Hogan’s wonderful book. Practical, steeped in long experience, never out of sight of the original romance, Hogan has managed to teach us solid, important things about this great game while fueling the deep fire that keeps us in these cold waters.” —Thomas McGuane

Raffle Tickets: This is a great chance to win either a Meiser, CND or TFO/Echo spey rod (one winning rod per entrant). You can purchase raffle tickets on-line and the winner need not be present to win one of the spey rods. All non-winning raffle tickets are eligible for Door Prizes including Rio Spey lines, videos, etc. Winner does need to present to win the door prizes as he/she will have their choice of the prizes. The proceeds from the sale of Raffle Tickets helps support the event. http://www.uppermidwestflyfishing.co...e%20Prizes.htm
Old 08-30-2006, 03:59 PM

I am a bit confused about the directions.

Is my understanding of what you have posted on your website correct, that, since I will be coming south from Buffalo Grove using I-294, I am to turn west onto I-80 until I reach I-57, go south on I-57 for approximately 30 miles and then follow the rest of the directions posted on your website? I plan on attending and would not like to make the drive -- which I estimate will be almost two hours for me -- any longer by getting lost.

Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CK
Old 09-01-2006, 08:05 AM

Yes, the directions are correct. Go south on 294 when you get to where it crosses 80 there is a toll right before the exit. Be sure to be in RIGHT cash/I-pass lanes and not the LEFT Express I-pass lanes. Because of construction there is not enough room to exit right to 80 safely from the Express lanes. Stay on 80 for a short time and then south on 57. The rest of directions are accurate, we have driven them multiple times to be sure. I will PM you my cell phone in case you have questions enroute.

Look forward to seeing you on the 10th.

- David
Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Mark your calendars - September 8 - 9th of 2007 with more. More rods, more instruction, more demonstrations from the masters, more fly tying, more raffle items, and more of Lynn's chili! http://www.uppermidwestflyfishing.co.../Steelhead.htm

- David

Pics from 2006 - http://uppermidwestflyfishing.com/ph...pic.php?t=1876
Old 09-18-2006, 11:54 AM

Survey for 2007 Steelhead-Spey Day

We are conducting a survey to help us plan for the 2007 Steelhead-Spey Day. If you are interested in Steelhead-Spey, please help us by taking the survey. It is NOT required that you attended the 2006 event, we welcome everyone's opinions.

http://www.uppermidwestflyfishing.com/Events/poll.htm

- David
Old 09-18-2006, 03:44 PM

As I pointed out in your survey, the same weekend next year (the dates listed in this thread) will conflict with the Denver Fly Fishing Retailer Show. This will make presenters and industry personnel harder to get. Of course, not everyone goes to the show, but many do and it will certainly slim down your choices.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:47 PM

Good point - I will be in Denver too and would have to miss the festivities.

What's a good time that coincides with fishing?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:23 PM

Yes, we discovered the conflict right after I made that post which I made the day after our 2006 event. We are now considering May 19 - 20th, which is two weeks after the Sandy and a week after Mother's Day. Stay tuned.

- David
Old 10-01-2006, 10:17 AM

It seems that the dates for the Denver show have been changed. The original dates of September 6-8 were set as the show was supposed to move to Las Vegas. At the last minute, the decision was made to keep the show in Denver (not much flyfishing around Las Vegas) but they couldn't keep the same dates as the Convention Center was already booked. I looked on the show's website and it's scheduled for September 16-19 so your original dates, David, would seem to work after all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.