Beach access Yarmouth - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 AM

Beach access Yarmouth

We are staying on 28 in Yarmouth from 8/20-8/23 and I want to get up early before the wife is up and hit the beach. If anything comes by so be it, if not, whatever. How do I get access there or within 15 minutes drive or so? Any suggestions on location? We also are taking the water taxi to Monomoy maybe. Anyplace where I can fish and the wife can watch the birdies or sunbath? WHich taxi best where to get off?

Thanks Guys. Shaq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Shaqman!

Lots of blues on the southside now, funny fish arriving, some bass pm better unless you go east to ocean influence where big fish are now.

There are three rivers mouths within AM striking distance you should check out - Seagull Beach Yarmouth (Jones R); Veterans Beach Yarmouth (Bass R), West Dennis Beach (also Bass R other side), Herring River Harwich, Red River, get the gist? River mouths are good fish attractors especially bonito and albies this time of year on outgoing tides.

But why stop there, Monomoy is hot right now. Not sure if the mrs will enjoy it as much as you unless she fishes - the fishing and the laying out for sun are not that integrated on the flats

The best option... well drop me a PM.

Don't forget the bayside early hours! Fish like to feed right at shore and it's not far across the cape to the north side especially if the wind is hard S/SW or if there is a lot of gunk in the water as it common this time of year.

good luck
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-17-2006, 01:47 PM

Thanks Juro,

We were thinking of heading out on the rip Ryder to South Beach. instead of the flats. I have heard of fish being caught there. Next time maybe for the flats.

She is more interested in the birds and wildlife and so if something comes along then fine. Thanks for the info I will try the Bass and Jones for sure in the mornings.

Will check out the bayside...thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 07:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I stay out in South Yarmouth every summer and fish the Bass River. You can fish off the west side of the river very easily from the jetty, and there's parking right there. If you get there early in the morning you don't have to pay to park. I've seen some huge stripers right off the rocks there. Once it gets to about 8 or 9 am, boat traffic drives the fish away anyway. You can also head there in the evening after dinner when the boat traffic has died down. The east side is a bit of a hike.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:51 AM

There are flats on south beach as well, however your S/O might not appreciate you being out there while she is on the shore. Usually about 100 yards apart and guess where the greenheads are?

Anyway the outside of SB is oceanfront, not as easy to negotiate with a flyrod but it certainly can be done. I prefer high slack this time of year, or going away.

If she's OK with a nature walk try one of those two spots I PM'ed you. Fishing sure is good and proximity from beach to fishing close enough to avoid the dreaded "all you did was fish".
Old 08-18-2006, 09:18 PM

THanks guys, def am going to hit the BAss River as it is so close. On Monomoy, may have to take it as it coNemo is advertising on fish now?

BAss Tides, as I read them. ANy one best?

Low on the 20th monday morning 5:04am

Low on the 21st Tuesday Morning 6:08 am

Or option 2, put wife to bed,

High on the 19th 10:37 pm, won't get any of that incoming but can fish almost entire drop.

high on the 20th 11:36 pm

high on the 21st 12:26 am, really the 22nd,
Old 08-19-2006, 12:07 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Exclamation Timeing is EVERYTHING!!!

Cape Cod and Approaches
Travel Time: Eastbound - 53 minutes, Westbound - 78 minutes
Last Updated as of: 12:59 pm 8/19/2006

Condition Route Detail
Rte. 6 East (Sagamore Bridge to Orleans) Slow traffic from Exit 9: Rte. 134/W. Dennis Rd. to Exit 10: Rte. 124. Delays through the lane drop. Allow extra time.
Rte. 6 West (Orleans to Sagamore Bridge) Heavy traffic from Exit 4: Old County Rd. to Sagamore Bridge. 8 mile backup. Allow extra time.

Heavy traffic between Sagamore Bridge and N Bourne Rotary/25/28 On Scenic Highway. - Jammed in both directions. Allow extra time.
Sagamore Bridge Heavy traffic approaching the Sagamore Rotary on Rte. 3 South. 2 mile backup. Allow extra time.
Bourne Bridge Heavy traffic approaching Bourne Bridge On Route 25 East. 1 mile backup. Allow extra time.
Rte. 6 West (Orleans to Sagamore Bridge) Planned construction daily from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm until 12/30/2006 at Sagamore Bridge (in the Sagamore Rotary) - Flyover Project. Lanes restricted.
Sagamore Bridge Planned construction daily from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm until 12/30/2006. in the Sagamore Rotary - Flyover Project. Lanes restricted.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:29 AM

Big stripers seem to be on an off-hour bite lately. At least from the perspective I see them... cruising by with big locks on their lips! They ate in the AM though, as the Craigster will tell ya.

I fished into the dark hours and things blew up pretty good although the cows evaded me and I had to drive back home last night. Lots of blues around.

Should have some hardtails around the south side but it's supposed to be crappy today... t'storms, south 15-20, heavy rain... good day to find fish in shallow gulping up all that bait! Better take the missus shopping though and fish bluebird days coming up Mon/Tues...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.