A Word Of Caution - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2006, 09:30 PM
resigned

A Word Of Caution

Got stung by a hornet at 7:30 PM. I knew I was in trouble when the top of my feet turned red and started to itch. I grabbed my wifes' Epi Pen and drove it home into my thigh. My wife also knew it was time to head for the ER. Chest pain, cold sweat and lights almost out twice on the way in. Chest pain was not the heart but the eshpogus going into spasm. Rash everywhere! Benedril and a steroid cured the problem in less than an hour.

Always have an Epi Pen in the house. I was never allergic to bee stings. You just never know. Doctor said the next sting could be fatal. The reaction gets worse each time you get stung. I will have to carry the Pen 24/7 until bee season is over.

Wow that was scary! We talked about a lot of things we rarley discuss on the way to the ER. An ambulance was enroute but we were closer to the ER then they were to us so we were advised to just kept driving.

This can happen to YOU!

Phil
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Close one Phil! Good thing you had the Epi pen to get you through until you got medical attention.

I am also allergic to bee stings and carry one in my flats pack and vest and it's in my suitcase when I go away on any fishing trip. I bring a large first aid kit on such trips and leave it in the rental vehicle in case any one needs it. There is an epi pen in that too (I got the twin pack)

Did they give you an IV for the steroid? Prednisone or something of that nature perhaps.

You'll have to tell me about the 'driving into the thigh' part. I've had the pens just in case but have never had to do the deed. I did have my dad give me a shot to stop a reaction (he was a doctor) but never had to do the self-injection thing.

Glad you pulled through buddy!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 AM
resigned

Epi Pen

Juro. Just slam the pen into the front of your upper leg after the cap has been removed and hold it there for a ten count. I hit the side of the leg but was told not to do it there again. Too much cartilage. Yes.....IV was Prednisone steroid.

Phil
Old 08-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Fly chucker

Glad you're okay Phil.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:53 PM

Glad you are ok. I too am allergic to bee stings but I had a series of shots which gave me some immunity . Got stung and did not have a bad reaction. Check out the shots with your doctor. The spasms is what I get when I have a really bad asthma attack. Know what it felt like. FishHawk
Old 08-14-2006, 03:56 PM
resigned

Thanks for the well wishes and Bill......thanks for the immunity input. Will check on that. Did you see an allergist or a physican?

Phil
Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Not a bad time to mention ticks and spiders. Take precautions!

Lyme's disease, flesh-eating spider venom, lots of risks out there.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Jonesin...

Phil,

Glad to hear you are ok.

Sean
Old 08-14-2006, 04:54 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcdermott
Phil,

Glad to hear you are ok.

Sean
Thanks Sean.

Phil
Old 08-14-2006, 05:06 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Not a bad time to mention ticks and spiders. Take precautions!

Lyme's disease, flesh-eating spider venom, lots of risks out there.
I had one of the earliest known cases of lyme (arthritis)disease. Was treated by Dr. Alan Steer at Yale New Haven Hospital after it was detected by my family doctor. Dr. Steer was responsible for making it known to the public after he treated a patient from Lyme, Ct.....thus the name. Huge rash under the BVD belt. Slept for two days and woke up with a 103.5 fever. Woke up after sleeping with my arms under the pillow, got out of bed and my arms would not go down. The spiroceets were infesting my shoulders' football injuries. Two glands swollen to golf ball size on each side in the groin area. Gave them two of the best samples for research they had ever seen! Dr. Steer drew the first sample and sent his intern in for the second. That second needle went through into my hip joint and I literally flew out of that office never to return. Hypodermphic aphobic! Guinea pig I was. I'm much better now but I don't think it is altogether gone. My energy level has never been what it was before the bite.

Phil
Old 08-14-2006, 06:01 PM
I'd rather be fishing

glad to hear everything was ok

just some tips:

if you need an epi pen, i'd recommend carrying 2 around or get the twin injection pens. often a second dose is required.

likewise, make sure you know how to use the thing. in the midst of a crisis is not the time to figure out how it works.

also, make sure the pens have not expired and replace the pens that have.

this is one area where the little things matter a lot.

<*/////>{
Old 08-15-2006, 12:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Thankfully you're ok! Having the epi pen may have saved your life. My mom is deathly allergic and carries an epi pen with her at all times. Even with that, just like your experience, she has to get to the hospital ASAP.

My other siblings are all deathly allergic too. I'm the only one that isn't, and I'm actually exactly the opposite. I'd rather get a bee sting than a mosquito bite! They hurt at first but within several hours, it's hard to tell I was stung. By the next day the stink is not noticeable at all.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:51 AM

I have been stung numerous time and then one time I had the same reaction you described, had to go to the er and all. Since then I've been stung twice, the first time I used the epi pen and was fine, the second time I didn't even use the pen and nothing happened. I used to carry the epi pen around and then I read on the label that light and heat made it go bad. Living in Florida that means i would have to always keep a cooler with me or the thing would be useless.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:08 PM

Got stung numberous times Wasps - just the other day while trimming the hedges. The little nasties had a nest the size of cantalope going. It was all out chemical warfare after that - the wasps lost. I actually feel lucky after reading your story. Barring EEE and West Nile I'll take mosquitos.
Glad you're OK Phil.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:01 PM

Phil I went to an allergist. Contact them and ask them about the Vapid shots. They'll give you a test for the type of bees and wasps that you are allergic to and will give you the proper treatment. Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.