Is Flyfishing on TV anymore? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 11:17 PM

Is Flyfishing on TV anymore?

I can still remeber the days when me and my dad would wake up early during the off season to watch the one or two flyfishing shows on ESPN outdoors every saturday morning. Then slowly but surely these shows were taken off air and now it seems like every fishing show on TV is bass fishing or ocean fishing (which I am not saying is bad in anyway) but I really Flyfishing america and Trout unlimited. I loved watching those guys and gals go fishing for steelhead and trout on the blue ribbon rivers of Montana, Oregon, Utah, Alaska, etc. I cannot find one of these shows. I have searched OLN, ESPN, and ESPN 2, and there is nothing. Does anyone know of any shows like this? Any help os greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2006, 08:40 AM
fish'n Hobo

Yup...
Just last night on OLN
Tred Barta catching Sails
Tim Raglif (sp) catching bones
flyfishing masters

pretty good line up for the long wand!

Espn has dropped the ball... too much bass fishing .... none on fly!
Old 08-12-2006, 12:02 PM

For some reason ESPN thinks we all like to watch people catch 2lb fish with 50lb test
Old 08-12-2006, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I just caught Fly fishing Masters right after I posted this message. That was awesome, now why can't they make a series just like that. If I'm gonna be stuck down here in LA going to school, with no rivers around for me, I would at least like to watch it on TV. Can't wait for law school next year, Colorado blue ribbons here I come, ha ha.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

fishing

Not to offend our warm water fisherman but, they have caved in to the large mouth ass fisherman on ESPN
Old 08-12-2006, 09:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
The winters are a much better time for fishing show selection. There's probably 5 times as many shows on. OLN has quite a few, as does ESPN and ESPN2. NESN also has Charlie Moore. I think OLN is probably my favorite since it has more fly fishing shows than anybody else.

Fly Fishing Masters on OLN is one of my favorites. I'm sorry that Eddie Pinkston and Foster Hetherington got eliminated because it was hilarious to listen to those guys go after each other!

Other fly fishing shows to check out are:
Fly Fishing the World (OLN)
Fly Fish TV (OLN)
Fly Fish Television (not the same as above, but also on OLN. Yeah, it's weird!)
Spanish Fly (ESPN2)
In Search of Fly Water (ESPN2) - great show!
Fly Fishing America (OLN)
The Walker's Cay Chronicles (ESPN2) - another great show!
KT Diaries (OLN) - New show this year, focused on hunting 50% of the time, but when they fish it's usually for trout in cool locations (and with fly gear).
Charlie Moore Outdoors (NESN) & Beat Charlie Moore (ESPN2) - Ok, ok, I know Charlie doesn't fly fish but the guy is hilarious!
North American Fisherman (OLN) - Rarely focuses on fly fishing but it's a good show regardless.
We Live Outdoors (OLN) - see last comment...
Wanna Go Fishing? (ESPN2) - Pretty cool show and while it's not entirely fly fishing, they do a lot of fly fishng in some pretty cool locations!

If I'm missing anything that's on expanded cable and is worth watching I'd be surprised! All of these came off the season pass list on my Tivo...

Oh, and this only covers the fly fishing shows I have season passes for. Drives my wife nuts in the winter because it basically tries to record them nonstop! Does anybody else think i might have an addiction I need help with?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:18 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
If I'm missing anything that's on expanded cable and is worth watching I'd be surprised! All of these came off the season pass list on my Tivo...

WHATA CATCH ! - with Kathryn Maroun (FFF instructor) . last week was giant bones in the bahamas, this week it was wild browns in the Rio chico Argentina, next week its a grand slam in mexico.

Kathyrn is also fit.

the benefit of being unemployed

MArk

Last edited by Guernseybass; 08-13-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Definitely a winter activity for me, participation sport during the season / spectator sport only when I can't be a participant.

However, Kathryn Maroun's series seems exciting, educational and worth viewing just for the articles.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-13-2006, 04:49 PM

We had ESPN's In Search of Fly Water film here in 2004 and they old us that it would be the last season of filming for them. If I recall correctly, ESPN bought the Bass Masters and was the reason they were eliminating most non bass fishing shows.

These shows are expensive to produce (the producer from In Search of... told me they spend over $100,000 per episode to make an episode. The sponsorship money is hard to come by in order to be competive.

Kathryn's show is good but I have heard that it is underwritten by her and her husband.

Northeast Journal (NESN) has a lot of fly fishing programs but is seen in New Enland or by those with satellite.

Bill Greiner
Old 08-14-2006, 06:07 AM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokyle
Yeah, I just caught Fly fishing Masters right after I posted this message. That was awesome, now why can't they make a series just like that. If I'm gonna be stuck down here in LA going to school, with no rivers around for me, I would at least like to watch it on TV. Can't wait for law school next year, Colorado blue ribbons here I come, ha ha.
Watch out what you wish for! You may end up majoring in the fine arts (trout fishing).

Phil
Old 08-14-2006, 06:39 AM
stop killing wild fish

There are some companies out of Washington that are still doing a lot of filming of fly fishing. Angling Exploration Group, Extreme Anglers just to name two of them. They seem to be pretty busy with filming every time I talk to them.

Bill, That video that I let you borrow last year, that was the Angling Exploration Group. They spent 5 months in Patagonia filming for that video. They have since been to New Zealand, Iceland, and are looking at Mongolia, Russia, and something here in the U.S.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:18 AM

I watched the Kathryn show last week. She makes me cringe.

I miss the Andy Mill series. He can get on your nerves but the guy is not messing around when it comes to sight casting 200# tarpon. Chasing Silver and Walkers Cay are still pretty entertaining.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:54 AM

Don't know if you can get it but here in SA we have Super Sport 1. There is an awsome show called Wildfly. All SA based stuff, but a must see...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.