Quick Line question - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 02:16 PM

Quick Line question

Hi guys,

I'm going to be in Aruba in early October with my company....I know its not the best spot in the world but I'm told you can get some fish (Bones). I have a warm water floating line....but do I also need a sinking?

Any recomendations would great.

Thanks and tight lines,

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2006, 11:35 PM

Nope. Hope you have a terrific trip.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to arubaman
In Aruba most of the fishing I do is sight casting. When you try to spot bones you'll be fishing in water less then 3 ft deep. The big advantage of a floating lin is that you can easily recast a fly if the fish changes direction. A sinking line underneath the water gives a lot of resistance and noise. Also a floating line stays clear of the rocks and the corals.
Still I can imagine it to be handy having a sinking line with you. Not all places are shallow and not everywhere you will be sightcasting. If you're going to a pure white sand beach like Eagle beach for instance, the water will run to about 4 or 5 feet just a couple of feet from shore and it will go to 8 or 10 feet within casting reach. If oyu stand there early in the morning or after sunset blindcasting from the beach and stripping back can be a technique. For this way of fishing I think a sinking line would be better. Myself I try to adjust to deeper parts of the water with a longer leader. If the water would be 8 ft deep I tie a longer leader or make my tippet longer. For 8 ft of water a leader of about 12ft will do much better then a regular one of 9ft.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the good advice......I think I will bring a sinking as well.

Also will bring some wire....from other readings it seems that you can find baracuda with a popper for some fun.

I think I can get out on 3-4 days when I'm there...so hopefully I can post a pic or two.

I was there 5 years ago around new years (very good time).....went out on a charter...caught a white marlin about 90-100lbs.....and a 50-60 lb wahoo.....but it was all trolling and quite boring...So, I'm looking forward to just walking/wading around the shore line. I was going to bring an assortment of flies.

Thanks again

J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.