Kharlovka/Litza - week starting July 22, 2006 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:46 AM
chromedome

Talking Kharlovka/Litza - week starting July 22, 2006

Fishing report for the week starting July 22, 2006

The group flying in was split into those going to the Rynda and the rest of us going to the Kharlovka. For the week our group of eleven landed 105 fish. From talking to those in the Rynda group later on, they had about the same success with one 31 pound fish that I heard about.
The first two full days were spent on the Litza. Except for a day at Litza Falls, the rest of the week was spent on the Kharlovka. Much of the latter part of the week was spent fishing in cold, rain, and howling wind.
Except for light pulls, I had 23 takes for the week, and landed 15. Of the landed fish, 6 were salmon weighing 43, 26, 20, 19, 14 and 12 pounds. The best fly was a black/red temple dog tied by my superb guide Alex and accounted for the largest fish. Other of his flies, a stonefly and a small temple dog, took fish as well. The only other flies I found effective were those I tied based on flies obtained as Ron Sutherland’s “Kola Set” and the Cascade shrimp I had Ron tie based on his recommendation that this was a hot fly. The Willie Gunn, Shrimp temple dog, black orange conehead temple dog and the green butt were the hot performers for me.
The fishing and other aspects made this one fantastic and unforgettable trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Bill
Outstanding! Really happy to hear is was such a great week.
Bill
Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 PM

Two Bill’s, no waiting!

Just kidding.

Bill,

Sounds like you had a great trip. If you have pictures would love to see them. Let me know.

Charlie.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Sounds like a great week. Which river fished better.....the Litza or the Kharlovka? My experience was always that I had better results on the Litza, but that was earlier in the season (June 28 - July4). At that time of year you see no grilse. I would average about 1.5 - 2.5 fish per day on the Kharlovka, and usually take 5 or 6 on the Litza, especially in the tent pool and directly above it and below it. Does the Litza still out fish the Kharlovka? Just curious.

Howie
Old 08-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Amazing stats... that'll spoil a man for life! But I'll take that anytime
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-02-2006, 06:46 AM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Sounds like you had a great trip. If you have pictures would love to see them. Let me know.

Charlie.
Hi Charlie,

First I have to give you my disclaimer:

Before getting this Pentax Optio W10 I've had little experience with photography. The pics over there were usually taken in cold, rain, and howling wind. I had a hard time holding the fish up with my surgery shoulder tho that didn't seem to effect my casting.

Whoops! Just realized I don't know how to get a pic over to this page. Please bear with me while I work on that.

Bill
Old 08-02-2006, 06:56 AM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture
Sounds like a great week. Which river fished better.....the Litza or the Kharlovka? My experience was always that I had better results on the Litza, but that was earlier in the season (June 28 - July4). At that time of year you see no grilse. I would average about 1.5 - 2.5 fish per day on the Kharlovka, and usually take 5 or 6 on the Litza, especially in the tent pool and directly above it and below it. Does the Litza still out fish the Kharlovka? Just curious.

Howie
Just looking at my stats it looks like I got 8 fish from each river. But the larger fish came from the Kharlovka. However, Peter's son Rupert did take a 39 pounder from the Flat Stone area during my week. I do believe I had more takes on the Litza and in one case I was caught on a "Rock" near shore at the end of the swing. I then tried to free the hook and the "rock" moved. But the hook pulled out shortly after. I believe that was a good fish.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Venture

Bill,

That's some great fishing. I fished those rivers when they first openned up to fishing in the very early 90s. We only had 7 rods at the camp on the first year. Then they started adding rods as the years went on and in 95 we had very low water during the early season with 12 rods fighting for space.

But our results were no better than your's even with the more limited rods as in the first year. Most of us averaged about 12 - 20 fish during the week, with the Litza being king. My biggest fish was estimated at 40 lbs from the tent pool. Not an impressive fight though. The best fights came from the Kharlovka in the high cold water. Down at Julians, I hooked a beast of a hen, fresh from the sea, which would not move from her lie until she ripped off down stream for the sea pool. That was the battle of my life. She was either in the high twenties or low thirties......sleek and bright. We had no scales back then.

And it's good to see that Alex is still there.....if it's the same Alex. I usually was guided by Andre. Is he still there too? All those guides were terrific people, and we always had such a great time after hours with them.

Howie
Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 PM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture
Bill,

That's some great fishing. I fished those rivers when they first openned up to fishing in the very early 90s. We only had 7 rods at the camp on the first year. Then they started adding rods as the years went on and in 95 we had very low water during the early season with 12 rods fighting for space.

But our results were no better than your's even with the more limited rods as in the first year. Most of us averaged about 12 - 20 fish during the week, with the Litza being king. My biggest fish was estimated at 40 lbs from the tent pool. Not an impressive fight though. The best fights came from the Kharlovka in the high cold water. Down at Julians, I hooked a beast of a hen, fresh from the sea, which would not move from her lie until she ripped off down stream for the sea pool. That was the battle of my life. She was either in the high twenties or low thirties......sleek and bright. We had no scales back then.

And it's good to see that Alex is still there.....if it's the same Alex. I usually was guided by Andre. Is he still there too? All those guides were terrific people, and we always had such a great time after hours with them.

Howie
Howie,

There was discussion about the change in fishing success over the years. It seems the fishing took a dramatic upturn after Peter took over but there came a time when it plateaued. I believe the year 2002 was mentioned as the start of the plateau. If true, then better fishing might be expected now even with the increased rods over when you fished it in '95. Still, they feel even larger fish should be showing up as a result of the program.

The Alex I had was big and very strong. I don't see how a guide could be better or smarter than he was. He actually taught me a lot without really teaching. Previously he had worked in electronics and built a computer in the mid '80's. I'm told he also had a refrigeration business he finally sold. I suspect that guiding is not a job for him. There were times when it appeared he was enjoying himself more than I was. And believe me, this whole experience is about as much fun as I've ever had. I don't recall there being an Andre in camp. But then I didn't get to know about all of the guides, but they all seem to have gotten rave revues.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Venture

I'm sure it's the same Alex. Sounds exact. Got a picture of him with me in a monumental photo hanging in my study. Glad to know that Peter is handling it better than the original organizers. It went through some changing hands, and some underhanded dealings in the early 90s. In the first years of the camp which where '92 + '93, it went smoothly, with great guides, and great fish. But in 95, it was shut down mid season by the army. They assended on the camp with guns loaded, and demanded we vacate the next day. Lucky it was the last day of the trip....or else we would have lost out. The rest of the season, it was closed......but word has it that the army had some great fishing.

I remember angry fly toting anglers, waving their rods at loaded AK47s....Wish I got some pictures of that encounter. Anyway, I am glad Peter and the Russian government are in sync......and the fishing is even improving.

Most of the anglers fishing at that time were Europians claiming that the Karlovka was the best river in the world. It was the best river I ever fished.....for size and challenge, and the joining the guides in the evening was as much fun as the fishing. A great crew.....

Howie
Old 08-04-2006, 07:25 AM

Kharlovka last week

Hi all.
I had a report from someone I met on the Spey yesterday that the Kharlovka and Eastern Litza had over 100 fish before Wednesday? Apparently there was a 51 lb crocodile among others.
I look forward to hearing the full report.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerie
Hi all.
I had a report from someone I met on the Spey yesterday that the Kharlovka and Eastern Litza had over 100 fish before Wednesday? Apparently there was a 51 lb crocodile among others.
I look forward to hearing the full report.
If the 51 lb fish is the same one posted on spey pages, the norwegian fisherman who reported it was alone and had no scales. Before releasing it he said he only got a length measurement which was 125 cm.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:58 PM
chromedome

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Bill,

Charlie.
Charlie

Still trying to figure out the photo attachment process. Am making progress but my file size of ~ 2 mb is way over the ~ 60 kb allowable and that's stopping me.

Bill
Old 08-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Venture

Come on Bill......I also want to see the photos.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.