Fun with carp 7/29 - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 07:38 PM
_

Fun with carp 7/29

This year I've been having a tough time persuading the carp to hit at the local lake but they were a little more cooperative yesterday. The first place I checked was a shallow, calm corner with lily pads and submerged stumps. I saw some carp under the pads as I moved towards shore, and then saw a disturbance in a ten foot opening in the lilies right next to shore. A carp was feeding next to a stump and its back was rippling the surface. Somehow I dropped a berry fly in the right spot on the first cast, and the carp grabbed the fly but came unhooked after a couple seconds. Probably a good thing because it would have dragged my line around a few dozen lily pads if it stayed hooked. A few minutes later I spotted another fish in a larger open area and I managed to hook and land that one. It was a short line battle for a while as I maneuvered it away from the lilies, then it charged for another set of pads and I had to clear the line and put the fish on the reel. We tussled for a while more and I finally pulled the boat close enough to get some photos and release the fish. Had a few other hits and misses and landed one more for the day. Both of the fish I landed were probably in the 10-12# range. Here's the first one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OnotaCarp072906.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	5942  
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2006, 07:39 PM
_

same fish:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OnotaCarp072906a.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	5944  
Old 07-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Looks like it's churning up some serious water! Nice report.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 AM

I just spent about five days fishing for carp on the flats in Lake Michigan. If it weren't for the freshwater and the taller trees, you'd swear you were wading Acklins or Crooked. It's sight fishing only and sometimes one goes a couple of hours without casting, but when they show up it's incredible. The two largest were over twenty pounds with the biggest one approaching thirty. That large one took about sixty yards of backing and made the reel sing just about how a bonefish would manage. The water is warm enough to wet wade. Really, the only negative is the slimy algae growth that's infected the lake over the last ten years or so. It hangs on every knot and the fly just about every other cast. They say it's another sitation created by the zebra mussel. It's still well worth doing, though.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR SPEY
. . . The two largest were over twenty pounds with the biggest one approaching thirty. That large one took about sixty yards of backing and made the reel sing just about how a bonefish would manage. . . .
Nice! I might have caught a couple that were around 20# but nothing close to 30 yet. Sounds like a great place to sightfish.

Hmm . . . I wonder how much backing a 20#+ bonefish would take

Q
Old 07-31-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Hmm . . . I wonder how much backing a 20#+ bonefish would take
Q

ALL of it.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:47 AM
stop killing wild fish

speaking of carp, does anyone know of some good carp water in the boston and southern NH area? I have heard so much about this and really want to target these guys. Especially in the dog days when trout can really be hurt by this heat.

Feel free to PM me.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
_

I don't know those areas but I'm sure there's plenty of good carp fishing to be had. You might try posting a new thread and maybe you'll get more info.

Sorry I can't be much more helpful

Q
Old 08-08-2006, 12:18 AM

jhicks -

I have seen HUGE carp in Mystic Lakes, which are in Winchester, Arlington, Medford and Somerville.

But there are not too many areas that are really sight fishing areas in the sense I am used to. However the fish are monstrous and quite visible even from shore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.