Danielsson LW question - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 09:01 PM

Question Danielsson LW question

Need a reel for a 10wt setup. Will be fishing in- and near-shore SoCal (yellowtail, bass, bonito, football tuners) and hauling it to Belize in the spring. Was wondering if the LW 8twelve would be man enough or if I should go with the HD. I like the idea of light-as-I-can-go, but want to be realistic--and not lose fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have the 8twelve and feel it's more than enough for what you'll be doing. The drag setting can be adjusted using the allen wrench (provided). You can get the HD but it might be a little bit of overkill.

You can get a mile of backing on that reel with 50# gelspun too.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 PM

Thanks, Juro. I like the aesthetics of the LW--just seems a little more elegant. But that's fly fishing, ain't it? Glad to know it'll handle my local guys and be enough for a shot at permit and wee tarpon when I get out there.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If you need more drag just loosen the knob and advance the internal screw a little, then put the knob back on. Easy and very effective, frankly my drag is so smooth I put it at one setting and leave it there. It's well short of full in fact the spool is so easy to palm I tend to use manual friction to complement the swiss watch smooth drag.

I had an adult seal (several hundred pounds) take my fly twice and the drag handled the situation just fine. I didn't handle it too well though
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-29-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
If you need more drag just loosen the knob and advance the internal screw a little, then put the knob back on. Easy and very effective, frankly my drag is so smooth I put it at one setting and leave it there. It's well short of full in fact the spool is so easy to palm I tend to use manual friction to complement the swiss watch smooth drag.

I had an adult seal (several hundred pounds) take my fly twice and the drag handled the situation just fine. I didn't handle it too well though
Juro da man!!

Did you have it mounted
Old 07-30-2006, 06:48 PM

Before you unscrew two screws, set the drag at minimum.
After adjustment, make sure you turn the knob ( Left retrieve reel) counter clockwise until you feel resistance. This is min. drag set-up. Then put the knob back.
Donít turn more then 100- 120 o form the factory set up. Otherwise you min. drag will be to tight.

One more thing, before you tight the screws on drag knob with the wrench, press firmly the knob against the frame. There is a thin back o-ring inside the drag knob, which blocks the water to get under the knob. By pressing ti you will ensure firm sealing.
Even if the water gets between the knob and the frame, there is another o-ring on the center screw ( not visible) which prevents the water from getting inside the drag mechanism.

Salmo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.