Summer pond fishing for trout - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 07:03 PM
David

Summer pond fishing for trout

Hi: Just spent 4 hours on the local trout pond, got a lot of sunfish, no trout. It was hot , water temp at the surface 79 degress, deepest part is about 20-25 feet deep. I noticed that a good number of fish were swimming just below the surface, fins showing, almost like in a small school. Tried a couple of dries, a couple of wets , even a goldfish on a spin rod, nothing doing! Could these be trout, or some other "uncooperative" fish churning up the surface. BTW, this pond is on the RI/Ct border, and is stocked by both states with trout and a few salmon(so I am told!). Just curious?

Thanks

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006, 12:25 AM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
In many of the warm water trout ponds in my area I've had the exact same experience during the summer....... The fish just seem close to the surface and yet not eating...... The main thought of local people is that trout won't eat when surface temp is above 75. Which seems not only improbable but impossible, there are enough fish that live through summers when the water never dips below 78.... The fish simply have to eat something, but what I do not know.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Pond and lake fishing for trout used to be my #1 pursuit. I had great success during summer months in the deeper ponds in New England like Walden, Whites, Quabbin, Big Cliff, Scargo, Sunapee, Winnipesaukee, etc, etc.

My buddy and fellow co-op student Brian Marachiello and I found that trout are hanging out at the stratus where the temps are comfortable during the day (e.g. Walden Pond is around 20ft down in over 90ft of depth in places, give or take) and venturing into shore and onto the surface at night / morning. Any springs or feeder streams with cover and reduced temps are key spots but many of these ponds have no inlets or outlets apparent to the eye.

The change in activity was so pronounced that I would catch more fish paddling back to the ramp as the light faded in the evening with a ghost or bugger streamer off the back of the canoe than I would during all the hours of daylight that preceded it. That's why I was always late for dinner.

Cold fronts and storms get the fish going. I have caught trout after trout in storms blowing so badly that I could barely get a full sinking line into the wind on a sandy beach dragging a nymph. Most of the trout would hit 20 ft in front of me. This pond is on Cape Cod and is lined with clean white sand.

With such a shallow lake the fish are likely concentrated in summer, if the state puts brood salmon you might ask them if they analyzed the springs or other flow to make that decision maybe the body of water has good renewal and temps for such stockings. Worth a call.

If they allow canoes put a fish finder over the holes and see what's down there.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 07-28-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
It's highly unlikely those were trout. In the summer months, your best bet for trout is live bait fished deep (yes, I know this is a fly fishing forum!). You'll need to get down at least 15'. ALternatively, try a big insect pattern fished with a sinking line and long leader. A fast sinking sink tip will be ok too, but just give it enough time to get down.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:10 PM
David

Summer pond fishing for trout

I think the sinking line idea may be something I am going to try, I release everything, and I don't like to kill them, so I don't use live bait very much even though I know you can catch them that way during the hot weather. If the weather cools down a little i may try the same pond again with a deep running set-up, but the forecast is for 95 -100 degrees for the next 4 days..yuk!

Thanks for your replys

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.