stockingfoot wader question. - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 04:32 PM

stockingfoot wader question.

Has anyone got anything to share about waders with stockingfoots made of the same breathable material as the waders are? How is the longevity, comfort, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Anecdotally speaking, I've had bad luck with them leaking but I am a walker and sand is a factor.

You might look up posts by Sean R on this topic, he's got a pair of the new Simms thin stocking foot waders that look like they really hold up. I am considering a pair but have more than I need right now, maybe next round.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-25-2006, 07:08 PM

Thanks Juro, I was considering the OS Systems breathables, but as the model is fairly new they (OSS) could not give me a report as to how well the stocking foot holds up.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
Feet

I had a pair of the early Simms for awile, maybe not long enough to wear the feet out. Back then there was an awful lot of excess material that made them uncomfortable with allot of walking. I am sure that has changed. Someone back then said to wear a pair of your wifes knee high stocking over them and it would increase the life. Might be a good thing,,,,but I dont know for sure.

Skilly
Old 07-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Pullin' Thread

Back in the days before neoprene waders and then breathables with neoprene feet (yes I know it was the dark ages way back BC-before computers at home), many of us wore latex rubber (Seal Dry was the brand most of us bought) and then a little later the polyurethane covered nylon waders (Red Ball first brought these out about 1970). These latex rubber or nylon waders did not have neoprene feet, they simply had feet made of the latex or nylong.

Anyhow, we all found out that to get good longevity out of the feet of these stocking foot waders of latex or nylon we had to wear an oversock of wool or polypropolene over them to keep the feet from abrading and then leaking prematurely. I would assume the breatheable stocking foot with the feet made of the breatheable material and not neoprene would require the same use of the wool or polypropolene oversock we used with the latex or nylon ones.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a pair of these breathables with the non-neoprene feet because I haven't been able to get more than 2-3 years out of the neoprene feet before they start leaking and I have to replace the waders (or live with wet feet and lower legs, which I find most undesirable). I figure with the oversock, the breatheable feet ought to last 4-5 years.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 AM

Flytyer,
That is a good point, with some common sense to it. The inside of my wading boots (Hodgman Wadetechs) are softly padded, but the socks still sound like a good idea. I was wondering how they would put all the breathable material together without producing little folds in the fabric when they are inside the boot, which I think would decrease the lifespan considerably. I'm trying to buy a pair of waders that will last a while, and ultimately fail from being worn out, as opposed to design issues and the fabric delaminating. It is easy to fix a leak caused by a punture, but when the fabric delaminated where four panels joined together in my last set of waders, they could not be repaired. I know that Simms G3's are good but around here they are about $540 good (plus 14% sales tax). So I'm considering a few options, and if I can't get any advice on the feet in these OS breathables, then I might say to heck with breathables and get the OS travel waders which will probably last a decade with some of the reports I've read on here. I just hate that cold clammy feeling of sweaty waders!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:39 PM

I've got the Simms freestone stocking foot waders. I only wore them one season in winter while kayaking and do very little walking in them so I can't really comment on durability. I did find them to have a bit more material in the feet than I would like but I wore them under scuba boots as opposed to good wading boots. Roomier quality wading boots would probably make them more comfortable. The good thing about them is no hot sweaty feet here in FL.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:01 PM

I think Simms has be overwhelmed but large contracts with a small workforce , hence the drop in quality control. Just my thought on the problems people are having with Simms waders. In the old days you never heard of Simms waders having any problems. I am going to look into Patagonia breathable . They haven't gotten any large contracts and their quality control is very good.
FishHawk just my .02 on the subject.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 AM

Breatheable feet

I've had a pair of custom fit waders that were built with breatheable feet and found them to be the most comfortable waders that I've ever owned. The previous comments are all true, wearing an outer sock protects them, the creases in the material causes them to leak a little, but if you wear a pair of gortex socks your toes will be warm and dry. Aside from being easy to walk in, the breatheable feet make them soooo easy on and easy off, no more struggeling to reach my feet and I can just step into the wading shoes. This has solved the problem that goes along with the fact that my legs are getting longer and my arms are getting shorter.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
$135 - Orvice breathable stocking foot waders.

I just recently purchased a pair of Orvis promotional light wieght breathable waders for $135 USD. They claim it was their version of Gortex. I used them for 8 days straight recently, and they were ultra light wieght, dry and very comfortable. It was their weight that made them so comfortable. And if you need protection against the cold, just wear some insulating synthetic pants like polypropaline sweat pants underneath, and I am sure it will take care of the cold.
But I see no reason to buy stocking foot waders for those high costs. One rock or one fall is going to tear anything out there. $135 is the deal.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:58 PM

I can deal with the tear, they can be fixed. My last pair had a 4" gash in the arse from doing a bumslide down a steep and slick clay hill hiking out of a canyon after dark, with a hatchery coho over my shoulder. Fixed it no problem. What I can't fix is when the fabric delaminates in high wear areas. No amount of aquaseal will cure it, I've tried. The water just bubbles through and works its way in. No more cheap breathable waders. Here's a quote from OS's site:

"Only OS SYSTEMS Stealth Chest Waders and waders made from Gore-tex®, can be labeled "microporous". Microporous is defined as a waterproof, breathable membrane made from ePTFE (expanded Polytetraflouroethylene = microporous teflon membrane).

Microporous membranes, when reinforced by a hydrophilic (water loving) layer of polyurethane, provide the best and most durable waterproofing available. Only OS SYSTEMS Stealth Chest Waders and waders made from Gore-Tex Immersion Technology fabric meet this requirement.

All other waterproof/breathable membranes are made only from hydrophilic urethane ... less expensive, less effective and less durable. "

I'd believe it too, I've got breathable rainjackets made from gore tex and they are a lot more durable than the other breathable materials, like what was in my last waders.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
Thanks Juro, I was considering the OS Systems breathables, but as the model is fairly new they (OSS) could not give me a report as to how well the stocking foot holds up.
I fished a pair of the OSS non-breathables for 12 years hard with only minor fixes, and I mean HARD. Some places the ballistic nylon was worn smooth but never leaked there. They are amazing.

I dreamed of them putting those nice rubber feet on goretex waders, but it sounds like they put goretex feet on their new breathables.

I've been threatening to put their rubber feet (available separately) on a pair of my goretex waders for years, one of these days I am just going to do it. Maybe when I am ready to retire a pair of goretex I'll attach the OS System rubber feet.

I've known people who had great success attaching custom feet using balloons inflated inside the legs to push things tight and good glue.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:44 PM

Hey Juro,

Took delivery of a pair of OS Travel (non breathable) waders today. Like um alot. Real high quality construction. Thanks for the good reccomendations.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:03 PM

They will last for-ever. Most comfortable feet ever put on a wader.

Only downside - not breathable. That's about it!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:33 PM

never again a wet foot

just my 2 cents but since purchasing ll bean waders 6 years ago i have relied on their unconditional satisfaction warranty. waders will not leak for me to be satisfied. with there 3 day turn around express return with free shipping my waders have never leaked more than 3 days. no questions ever asked. i cannot figure why anyone would consider anything else. simms schmimms. i loved my bombers and now my wicked toughs without a fear, making the above concerns moot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.