My next vehicle... - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My next vehicle...

the new Toyota FJ cruiser! WOW

I test drove it recently and loved it. My thoughts FWIW:

- a little 'too' nice inside, I expected something a little more spartan and utilitarian but I can see why they would need to appeal to the masses for good business, most don't really buy utility vehicles for utility and we are the minority who do

- the waterproof seats look and feel like fabric seats but they do not allow water (waders, swimsuits) to soak in

- the floor is a hard plastic diamond plate look that is washable, no rug but I did not see a drain for hosing out after a hardcore week of beach fishing

- they can run continuously in 2.5ft of water without a snorkel

- the back seats fold down but not level with the main cargo area back to the hatch so it's not going to be as comfortable as a hotel room with a camp pad down

- 17/22 MPG (hmmm... hybrid coming?)

- rear cargo area side windows dont open not a huge deal

- Maneuvers on a dime much better than my tundra

- limited color choices: sporty yellow, blue, maroon, silver, black (all have white roof). I would like to see a nice woodsy green or coastal white.

- Under $30k

- Built like the proverbial brick sh*thouse

Also, rear doors open suicide like my tundra but the rear seats are full sized and more comfortable than the x-cab seats. Lots of room to haul stuff and a serious roof rack up there for yaks. Tow package avail stock.

Back glass hatch opens independently from full rear hatch for grabbing stuff like rods or a cold one.

Full spare (needed for offroad qualification).

Tundra has the better ride on the highway, a lot of that could be due to the stock tire/wheel config being more aggressive that comes with the FJ vs. the Tundra.

I love the 115v A/C Outlet!!!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro

I test drove it recently and loved it. My thoughts FWIW:

- a little 'too' nice inside, I expected something a little more spartan and utilitarian but I can see why they would need to appeal to the masses for good business, most don't really buy utility vehicles for utility and we are the minority who do
Yeah, but since it's basically a 4Runner, and they're still selling that one,
it would have been nice if Toyota had come out with a basic model in this
line.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 AM

Well I guess but the way I look at it is...

"wow great they came out with a basic Land Cruiser!"
Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 AM
President of CAC

Juro....test drive the new little Hummer....H3.... less expensive than the Jeep grand Jerokee and every bit a Hummer in construction.... 22 miles a gallon.... and rides like a dream....
Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 AM

I have a Prius getting 49mpg . Sick of the gas companys excuses. There are trade off like everything you buy. It's not good for off road ect. However, for the places that I go to it great. Plenty of room and I can haul my yak. You might want to look at the Ford Escape Hybrid which uses the Toyota system. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid gets 36 mph and is a large SUV. Go HYbrid you'll like it. FishHawk
Old 07-21-2006, 08:09 AM

Toyota trucks are going hybrid soon... a new tundra might overrule if hybrid. Pop on a real nice canopy and I've got my camp truck with a big comfy pad and screened slide windows. Since the new tundra rear window is power down to a full opening it will extend the camp compartment into the cab for easy listening to CD's or the sox game.

But no AC outlet, waterproof seats and the ideal interior for me is one I can spray out with a hose. Decisions decisions.

Well it might not be too soon, I have to see how the two kids in college thing hits the budget. Better keep my ol' truck maintained for now.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Jonesin...

Juro,

Better keep an eye on what kind of HP and Torque you get with those things if part of the future plan includes a 20ft boat. My Tacoma does the job but you definitely know the boat is back there when you hit a steep hill. I am only at about 80% of its max towing capacity as well. Personally if money was no object I would be driving a Titan or the Armada SUV. I actually think with the extra torque I would get better mileage towing and they get about the same believe it or not highway as the Tacoma. The mileage numbers aren't pretty right now towing at about 10-12 mpg. Good thing Fishawk has the hybrid to bring up the forum average MPG.

Sean
Old 07-21-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Well I guess but the way I look at it is...
"wow great they came out with a basic Land Cruiser!"
Sorry: what I meant was that it would have been nice if
they came out with a truly basic model of this FJ.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:04 AM

hear hear!

I agree. And a drain plug in the floor would be nice, that and the rear seats folding compeltely flat. While we're at it, one of those crank down roof portal / sun roof with the bug screen would be nice for ventilation, also sliding side windows with screens or at least sliding (I can screen them). Then I could run it deep into a wooded road and camp by the river in the vehicle without worrying about pitching camp or taking it down.

also could not find a compartment under the rear cargo area which would be awesome for fly / camp gear and tying materials etc

Sean -

The boat is at least four years off but I am scheming to pick up a tired but handsome 15' sport whaler in the mean time which I could tow with my daughters 4 cyl. in case I can't stop jonesin'

The more I read... the more I LIKE...

The same five-speed automatic is available on 4x4 FJ Cruisers, as is a six-speed manual that includes a clutch start cancel feature. This allows you to start the engine without depressing the clutch, which can be a lifesaver when you've stalled on a steep incline and would rather not dance between the brake and clutch pedal as the vehicle rolls uncontrollably down a hill.

Automatic models come with a transfer case that can be driven in 2-Hi, 4-Hi and 4-Lo mode. Manual models are always in four-wheel drive, with the transfer case offering 4-Hi, 4-Hi with locked differential and 4-Lo with locked differential. This model uses a Torsen limited-slip center differential with a static 40-60 torque split between the front and rear axles. However, up to 70 percent of power can be sent to the rear wheels, and up to 53 percent to the front wheels, depending on available traction at each end.

Regardless of tranny and driveline configuration you get the same Toyota aluminum block 4.0-liter, 60-degree V6 engine from the Tacoma, Tundra and 4Runner. With dual-overhead cams, 24 valves and VVT-i technology, the engine manages 239 horsepower at 5,200 rpm, and 278 pound-feet of torque at 3,700 rpm. Note that both numbers are based on 91-octane fuel, which isn't required but is recommended.

Preliminary mileage numbers are 18/22 for the automatic 4x2, 16/19 for the 4x4 with manual transmission and 17/21 for the 4x4 automatic. All models offer a 5,000-pound towing capacity, and our automatic 4x4 test vehicle got to 60 mph in 7.8 seconds. Not flying, but neither does it feel slow in normal, everyday driving.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:23 AM
fish'n Hobo

Quote:

- the waterproof seats look and feel like fabric seats but they do not allow water (waders, swimsuits) to soak in

- the floor is a hard plastic diamond plate look that is washable, no rug but I did not see a drain for hosing out after a hardcore week of beach fishing

- they can run continuously in 2.5ft of water without a snorkel

- the back seats fold down but not level with the main cargo area back to the hatch so it's not going to be as comfortable as a hotel room with a camp pad down

- Maneuvers on a dime much better than my tundra
- limited color choices: sporty yellow, blue, maroon, silver, black (all have white roof). I would like to see a nice woodsy green or coastal white.

- Under $30k

Also, rear doors open suicide like my tundra but the rear seats are full sized and more comfortable than the x-cab seats. Lots of room to haul stuff and a serious roof rack up there for yaks. Tow package avail stock.

Back glass hatch opens independently from full rear hatch for grabbing stuff like rods or a cold one.

I love the 115v A/C Outlet!!!
Juro.... sounds like what you REALLY need is a 22 foot center console!

Jim Miller
Yukon XL 1500
Old 07-21-2006, 10:31 AM
LBFF Mojo

Sean I would just feel like an arse driving something called 'Armada'.

That being said we have been looking seriously at the pathfinder though. 6000lb towing capacity and good low end so it should pulled a boat like yours no problem.

However the more I look at it a 20ft boat may not be in the cards for me. I think 18-19 is more resonable for the fishing I will do. That way I may just get the honda pilot as it can tow an 18 footer no problem and the gas mileage is much better. Since I work form home we only put about 10000 miles a year combined for both cars so I really do not need a commuter. Will probably just lease this time around and hope in 3 years something more fuel efficient with towing capacity comes to the market.

Those FJs are pretty cool though and you get toyota dependability. Something I would not trust with an H3. If my family was not growing with another baby on the way the FJ would have been on the list.

-sean
Old 07-21-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
we only put about 10000 miles a year combined for both cars so I really do not need a commuter.
That's amazing bro... somehow I put 170,000+ on in 6.5 yrs

My current job does allow me to work from home a percentage of the time so I think that might improve over the next few... hopefully!

With those stats I wanna buy Sean M's boat and your truck
Old 07-21-2006, 10:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
- 17/22 MPG (hmmm... hybrid coming?)
I really don't know what to say when we're applauding that kind of gas mileage...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:55 PM

That's all relative.

If you're getting that out of a compact sedan, that's really sucks. But if you do 25-30 oversand trips a year as I do, or have an unpaved steep driveway in a miserable climate as I do, or if you are one of the rare folks who use an SUV as an SUV instead of a status symbol as I do, then it's really pretty damn good.

Of course a hybrid will be better which was my point, and they are coming but not here yet for the most part. Some of us really use offroad vehicles offroad so we take what we can get.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I know what you're saying Juro. My comment wasn't directed at you but at the auto buying public and auto industry in general. Fuel economy is the same now as it was 20 years ago. There's no reason we shouldn't have SUVs that get 30 MPG on the highway.

I wouldn't count on the hybrids getting better gas mileage though. Look at the ones out there today like the Jeep Liberty, Lexus RX400h, and others. Even if they get better gas mileage, it's barely better, and doesn't at all justify the increased price over the gas only model.

Sorry to get off on a little rant...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.