Advice for a complete beginner please - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 04:46 PM

Advice for a complete beginner please

Well, first of all, hi. Im a complete nebie to fly fishing. I picked up a cheap rod last week and have been trying it out in the river behind my house. I know there are brown trout and some rainbow but I've been having no success whatsoever.

Im wondering what I'm doing wrong. Maybe its the cheap flies I got with the rod or maybe its my casting technique.Think back to when you first started and throw a few hints and tips my way. I had a quick look through the forum and Ive read up a bit about casting techniques and such.

I suppose I can give you a little information to help you out. Its a small river and very low right now due to a heat wave we're having and the fish are small in size and number because the river was only restocked 2-3 years ago after a bad sewage spill.

Luckily enough I live next to a fly fishing lake/club but Id prefer to fish in the river since it runs through my garden. Im not sure what kind of river bed it is but it seems to be limestone.

Any way, thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Flats Rat

Hi and welcome to the forum!

First off, I am very envious since the Emerald Isle brings back so many magical memories for me. To live there and have a wild trout stream run through your backyard, you are truly blessed.

O.K. to your "predicament".

Not sure where you picked up your cheap rod and flies, but most local tackle shops should be able to advise you on what fish would be looking for (hatches etc.) at any point during the season. Did you get your kit from a tackle shop?

High summer and low water are challenging times for trout and the fishermen who pursue them. They don't call it the "dog days" for nothing.

Its hard to say what you are doing right or wrong at the moment but I would suggest getting on the stream very early in the morning or late in the evening an hour or so before it gets dark. For flies I would expect midges olives and sedges in general but your particular stream will probably have its own seasonal specialities. Look carefully at the stream before you start fishing and try to spot fish feeding. Little splashes or swirls on the surface are a big give away.

Tell us more about your stream:

Where in Ireland? How wide? How deep? Is there a lot of weed? A lot of rocks? Is it fast flowing with lots of rapids or is it slow, deep and sluggish? Maybe a bit of each? Do you see lots of flies hatching at different times of the day? Is it a popular stream with local fishermen?

What flies do you have?

Dry, wet, nymph, lure/streamer? Any and all could work if the fish are there and feeding, but each requires a different presentation.

Do you have a floating or sinking line?

Hopefully with a bit more info we can offer a bit more advice
Old 07-20-2006, 06:13 AM

Did you get your kit from a tackle shop?

No. I got a really cheap deal in a local supemarket complete with flies. I realise that its probably the cheapest of the chea p and therefore not very good. The fly fishing lake next to me surely has some good tackle.I plan on getting some soon.

Its hard to say what you are doing right or wrong at the moment but I would suggest getting on the stream very early in the morning or late in the evening an hour or so before it gets dark. For flies I would expect midges olives and sedges in general but your particular stream will probably have its own seasonal specialities. Look carefully at the stream before you start fishing and try to spot fish feeding. Little splashes or swirls on the surface are a big give away.

I have been going out just before it gets dark and yes, the fish are feeding but they dont seem to like my bait.

Where in Ireland?

Just outside Dublin.

How wide?

About ten feet to twenty feet at the widest

How deep?

a foot to three feet at the deepest

Is there a lot of weed?

Quite a bit at the moment yes.

A lot of rocks?

Its very rocky on the bed but not large rocks.

Is it fast flowing with lots of rapids or is it slow, deep and sluggish?

At the moment it is at the lowest its been all year and moving very slowly but just down from my house is a bridge just past which the river narrows and picks up a bit of speed.

Do you see lots of flies hatching at different times of the day?

I wouldnt know what to look for as far as flies hatching

Is it a popular stream with local fishermen?

Not really because of the closeness to the fishing lake.

What flies do you have?

A selection of nymphs, dry and wet flies but Im not sure about specifics.

Dry, wet, nymph, lure/streamer? Any and all could work if the fish are there and feeding, but each requires a different presentation.

Please elaborate

Do you have a floating or sinking line?

Again, Im not sure. The rod and line came as one. It floats alright so I presume thats it.

I was out last night and tried different flies, ie. nymphs, wet and dry but nothing worked. I was aiming at a spot that always seem to host feeding fish. Its a deep spot on the river that is actually quite slow .I read somewhere that fast moving water is best which confuses me. There are a lot of horseflies, midges, some mossies and I presume houseflies. I'll ask in the flyfishing lae , what to use and a bit of advice but Ive been in before and they dont seem to take kindly to fishers on the river.I guess they want the money themselves.

Thanks for the response.Its much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.