Chatham fishermen - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 04:20 PM

Chatham fishermen

Keep your eyes peeled This mornings CC T
July 18, 2006

A rumor with shark teeth
By DOUG FRASER
STAFF WRITER
CHATHAM - On Saturday, Paul Bremser was at Chatham's Lighthouse Beach preparing to go surfing. He had one leg into his wetsuit when he heard someone yell, ''Shark!''

He looked up to see a big fin circling a seal, just beyond the breakers about 75 feet away.

A great white shark swims in the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, Calif., in late September 2004.
(Associated Press photo)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''After it came around in a full circle, the shark came off from the back side and cut him in half with one bite,'' said Bremser, a commercial fishermen with 28 years of experience fishing out of Chatham. The seal tried to swim away as a pool of blood spread around it. The shark went down, then the seal dropped out of sight.

''It's a classic, textbook, attack pattern for a great white,'' said Greg Skomal, shark expert for the state Division of Marine Fisheries.

The sight of a great white shark hunting down seals among swimmers and surfers is not comforting and could be the start of a disturbing trend.

In the 1970s, fewer than 20 gray seals frequented the waters of southern New England.

Since then, with marine mammal protection regulations in place, the seal population has exploded to about 6,000 on the Monomoy islands, making it home to one of the largest seal colonies in New England.

Lighthouse Beach is just a couple of miles from Monomoy.

''With an increasing seal population, in all likelihood we may see a redistribution of white sharks to target that,'' Skomal said.

Two years ago, Skomal tagged a 14-foot, 1,700-pound great white that was trapped in a shallow lagoon and coastal waters off Naushon Island for two weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT WHITE SHARKS

Great white sharks are the top predators of the sea. Their favorite prey is sea mammals, especially sea lions and seals. The only animals to attack great white sharks are other great whites and orcas.

Great whites can grow nearly 20 feet long and weigh up to 5,000 pounds. The average length is 10 to 15 feet.

Their skeletons are composed of cartilage. They are partially warm-blooded.

The sharks are highly migratory, moving over a vast area. They tend to be isolated from one another. Great white sharks live in almost all the cold or temperate waters of the planet, although they are rare off the New England coast.

Life span: Known to be 15 to 20 years, although scientists speculate they could live 30 to 40 years.

Appearance: Has a large conical-shaped snout, with same-size upper and lower lobes on its tail fin. Pale to dark gray, with a white belly.

(Compiled by D. Sidman and R. Smith-Johnson)

But, he noted, great whites are still extremely rare in our waters. No great white has ever been hooked in the 19 years of the Martha's Vineyard shark fishing tournament, with more than 200 vessels participating each year. And Skomal has been trying in vain for two years to find another great white to tag, after the tag fell off the Naushon beast soon after it was freed.

In hundreds of years, Massachusetts has had only three possible attacks by great whites, the last one in 1938 in Buzzards Bay.

''You don't have very high attacks on people, even in South Africa (where there are far more sharks),'' Skomal said.

Yesterday, the news of the shark attack was all over Lighthouse Beach, but it didn't faze any of the beachgoers.

A half-dozen seals popped their heads up near swimmers yesterday.

Donna Wilcock stood knee-deep in the water on a sandbar as her 9-year-old daughter, Ashley, waded back to her through the small breakers. She had heard about the shark, but didn't tell her daughter.

''She would have felt sorry for the seal,'' she said. Wilcock summers in Chatham, but lives in Virginia and sometimes vacations in Florida where sharks and shark attacks are more common.

Saturday's seal attack occurred near a remote section of the beach about a half-mile away, and Wilcock didn't think twice about letting her daughter swim.

Chatham Town Administrator William Hinchey said the town had increased patrols on land and sea following the incident Saturday, but had seen no evidence of sharks in the area. He said the town would continue beefed-up patrolling into the near future.

Skomal ruled out seal eaters like the Greenland shark, which prefers deeper, colder waters far offshore, and the tiger shark, a tropical species found 60 miles or more out in the warmer waters of the Gulf Stream.

He said he would be coming to Chatham to look for the shark and tag it.

Doug Fraser can be reached at dfraser@capecodonline.com.

(Published: July 18, 2006)

Related Tools

Print-friendly version
E-mail this story
Search Times archives
Daily email newsletter
RSS Times news feeds

Advertisement

imes.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

BIG Girl Bar!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2006, 06:32 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Might explain the slow inshore fishing at Big Girl lately
Flydoc
Old 07-18-2006, 07:31 PM

Sure......I tie up a bunch of silverside patterns and now I have to create a seal fly I saw a shark in the tub, basking in the sun in 3 ft of water about 3 yrs ago....sure made me take a view steps in....another reason not to go over knee deep! Keith...."I think that you need a bigger boat"
Old 07-19-2006, 12:19 AM

Two in two years and I bet there are some commercial dive shops chomping at the bit to set up chum slicks, charge divers 500 bucks to swim in a steel cage in hopes of seeing DA MAN.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC
Two in two years and I bet there are some commercial dive shops chomping at the bit to set up chum slicks, charge divers 500 bucks to swim in a steel cage in hopes of seeing DA MAN.
... or they could sell rides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeacTZvsgs
Old 07-19-2006, 06:44 AM

With the Monster Shark Tournament this weekend, the yahoo's could be all over the place looking for Jaws?
I can't get the picture out of my mind of the two guys with the Sunday roast trying to catch Jaws
Old 07-19-2006, 03:42 PM

With the infrastructure set now at 6000 seals I think you will hear of more sightings in the future. All it willl take is a few passers by to hear all that barking and commotion along with the whoops of happy fly fishermen chest deep on the flats to make sticking around for the summer months worth it. Hopefully that will be a good thing in keeping the un educated from wading too deep making life lousy for most of you. Hawaiian defintition for "DA MAN" A very big boy who usually is a loner and who shows up at the local surf break or free diving spot just when you are starting to have fun and of course you yourself are out there alone at first light or just as it is getting dark. I think it is Adrian who says watch behind you when wading the flats!
I think most of you will like having more of the DA MAN around in the coming years, it makes you respect your ocean much more than ever before.
Keep fishing.
OC
Old 07-19-2006, 04:18 PM

There was a small shark seen on North Monomoy a month ago. Talked to the angler who saw it swim by him. It's only a matter of time.
FishHawk
Old 07-19-2006, 05:08 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Bill- I'd like to know: (1) what he meant by "small", and (2) what detergent he used to wash his drawers that evening
Flydoc
Old 07-19-2006, 05:37 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs down It's the ones you DON'T see...

...that can ruin your day...(or June&July)...

If you are wading too deep, not only are you not really flatz sight fishing, you're part of the food chain!
but...
If you think only BIG toothy critters are the worry...think again!
I got taken down by this cute little deer tick almost 2 months ago and I'm still hurtin'!
Lyme Disease...NOT GOOD!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deer tick.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	5928  
Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

YIKES! Pete, sorry to hear about that... the number of my friends and relatives being hit by Lymes disease is becoming alarming
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-19-2006, 08:50 PM

So that's where you've been

Thought you got blown out to see on Sa-Tur Day.
Sorry to hear about the wrong kind of bite for you this season.

Hope to see you soon

Capt Keith
Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Flats Rat

Hey Pete

Sorry to hear about this.

Hope your docs have it under control.

I've pulled a few of those little bast$%#s off me over the past couple of years but so far touch wood.

I got the Lymerix shots a few years back and the after effects hurt like hell for a few days. Seems they ended up taking it off the shelves since they genetically engineered something too close to the real thing

Get mended sooooon!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:23 PM

Pete did you have Lucy checked out? A friend of ours got Lyme disease while walking her dog. Hope you get better soon. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.