Monomoy help - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 04:31 AM

Monomoy help

This coming monday a friend & I will be making our firts trip to Monomy. Our objective is to soak in the sights, scout around some, avoid work for a day or so and maybe catch a fish. We are bringing fly rods

Having never been there I have a few gear questions or assumptions that I would like some veterens input on.

What to wear? waders or flats shoes & shorts? judging from some of the posts I read this is an ever evolving thing.

I assume one should carry a small day pack with water, lunch, flies, camera, tippet etc.. maybe a set of field glasses, nothing too heavy

Floating line I would assume is what you would use? do we need an intermediate sink tip for any reason?

Flies I have are Decievers, Clousers, Rogers sand eels. I think my friend is gonna tie up some flatwing patterns.

I'll read through some of the pervious posts on the subject as well this weekend if time permits. Hopefully the weather will be coopertive. So far this year it has been a huge disappointing influence on my time off
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006, 07:31 AM

Warren...dress is your option...the water is generally warm enough to not wear waders...but if it's high tide, one can cool down a bit....shoes of course and sunscreen. Unlike SB the flats terrain is uneven with some throughs...so "heads up". Most use intermediate lines. Flies...eels, shrimp, crab patterns and reportedly last week there were silversides on the flats and channels.
Unless you have a GPS..if you see fog beginning to roll in...get to shore as because of the throughs and uneven "depth" flats...a compass in generally useless.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2006, 08:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cole
In addition to Ron's advice, I'd say my number one rule is:

Be able to carry everything with you in a way that it doesn't interfere with fishing. Nothing is worse than having a gear issue and having to walk 1/2 a mile back to the beach to fix it...The flats are pretty good sized!

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A few suggestions...

South Beach would be easier and more accomodating in case the tides or sun is not in your favor. You can always walk over to the surf and roll the dice, fish drop offs at low tide, and sight fish if the sun shines. Plus there is really only one spot where you could get isolated from shore, a high sand spit where the old "J" bouy used to be is separated by a fast current channel with soft sand and you should not stay long out there on the flood.

If you do go to North Monomoy, or any flat anywhere, be aware of the subtle highs and lows on the flat. Often the flat is high far from shore but deep near shore and you will be screwed on the way out. We watched a guy swimming at NM last weekend, if he knew what the deal was he could have avoided it but by the time I tried to yell he was already dog paddling with all his valuable gear including a non-watertight backpack completely soaked in saltwater.

One particular piece of advice is to watch out on the southwest corner of the island. There is always (for the last decade anyway) an inner channel between the main split between south and north (aka the crib) and the mainland. On very high tides that channel is not crossable from the south side unless you walk away from shore (counterintuitively) back out to the crib, then follow that east to high ground then to the bluff, then north.

If you go to north, play it safe by keeping high ground between you and shore at all times on the flood.

Take risks only on the ebb, and when it turns immediately recalibrate to the safe routes.

My recommendation - hit south beach your first time. Rip Ryder will put you right on the beach.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-21-2006, 12:21 PM

Not sure what you meant by field glasses, but polarized sunglasses are a must
Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Warren,

I'd suggest you stick with using some waders. The first time I tried the Iron man routine using shorts and wading shoes around the flats I found myself getting stung by jellyfish some so small I couldn't see them. When your'e standing in a current and getting stung randomly over the course of the day it can be quite unpleasant. Plus the sun burnt legs was another issue, my sunscreen didn't hold up to the constant water flow and dunking too well.

Greg.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:59 PM

OK, I see I have much to learn here. Looks like maybe I should attempt North Monomoy with someone who can show me the ropes to avoid pitfalls at a later date. I guess I need to free up a day when the gang is heading that way. I hope my partner feels the same way. Never the less, thank you for the tips I am sure we will have fun whatever the outcome. Looks like our fly selection and gear is squared away. I have to work on the packaging.

GregD Good thinking, jelly fish never entered my mind.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:18 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Warren, heed Juro's advice. the other issues regarding both N. Monomoy and S. Beach is the rolling fog. If you venture out on the flats and fog rolls in, you need to know the best route back to solid ground. I say that because the fog can linger for hours. On a coming tide, you need to know the direction back to shore, or you risk filling you waders and not knowing which direction to elevated ground. If you do not have a GPS with waypoints to a high point location, the minimum equipment is a compass, and continue to check it for a direct line to high grounds as you move on the flats.

Most flats rats have experienced the disorientation associated with fog. Don't be one of them without knowing the best route to land. One caveat about N. Monomoy: you need to spend time on the flats at low tide before venturing out to the west/southwest corner on a coming tide. As Juro indicated, there are some drains and channels that you cannot easily cross at high tide.

Good luck, and be careful. Give us a report.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:07 AM

JimS,
I am no fool when it comes to Mother nature & I have a healthy repspect for the power of the sea. When multiple people warn me of danger I listen. I have spent many hours on the water in boats but am new to flats fishing. I have decided to learn a little more before going to NM. I will go when I have a guide or can spend a few days down there and observe a few tide cycles before venturing out.

Compass & GPS are standard fishing gear for me now. There are few things that leave you feeling more helpless than being marooned in fog. There is no reference & you can go the wrong way very easily, Gee how do I know that?

South Beach it is lads.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:29 PM

Good choice

It was smokin today
Old 07-23-2006, 04:07 PM

Thumbs up

Even better today
Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Care to elaborate?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:51 PM

Just walked in the door; that was posted from my blackberry phone

Full report to follow
Old 07-23-2006, 09:07 PM

Short version:

Sat: Dark and rainy, threat of afternoon jolts looming. I had a guest out there, Neal Brown, and things got off with a bang. Shoals of bait pushing around and waves of bass pushing like Acklins bones in the shallows. Instant gratification.

Then a dark ominous mass of blues moved in and started to attack anything in sight including the stripers on the line. Couple blues to hand, then moved on to see what we could see without wire.

Blind casting at this point, couldn't see a thing rain falling. That part was frustrating, but some of the trenches (knee deep) were holding prowling fish that would eat aggressively to keep the pace up as we worked along.

Then the lights came on for a couple of hours. Cows hunting looking for something to kill. The hardest part was to get the fly in position as they were cranked up and zigging, zagging. Put it there and they ate.

Sight fishing to willing fish all the way back to the rendezvous, had to call it around 1:30p due to lightning. Got some clams and drinks at Brax (rain put Squires into capacity mode). Crap came in hard right after, which we averted thanks to Keith's attentive monitoring of weather on our behalf.

Sunday: Breakfast with the family. Finally cut loose in the afternoon. Got back out there around 2pm. Darker than SAT and raining. Second cast keeper. Almost had to beach it because it fought so hard.

Picked up a few schoolies along the drop, sight fishing but taking a cast into the edge when I got bored. Found a gathering in a reincarnation of an old spot, funny how things happen form year to year with such consistency even when the structure moves a long way from where it was. CRAZY fishing for a dozen more with another fat keeper (image later). Had to drop the fly on the bottom below the buzzing schoolies to get the bigger fish. Easier said than done, you would get nailed before the first strip. Super fat fish with several runs into backing.

Time running out, I need to head out by 4pm. Work my way and luck into a few more sight fishing before high tailing to make dinner.

Total over two hours a couple dozen landed with three over the legal length, all particularly juiced up in the stormy seas and a reasonable percentage sight fished. No blues today either, the fly I tied on to start was the one I took off at the end of the day.

Two hours of fishing I will think back on this winter, and NOT ONE OTHER SOUL AROUND.

Must have been all that sight fishing trash talk
Old 07-25-2006, 01:02 PM

Well first trip was sort of a success. I did not catch any fish but had a good time trying.

First off I want to thank you gentlemen for the help it is greatly appreciated.

We decided to go to NM.....Well...becuase it was there & everyone we talked to said the were catching fish there. Monday was a nice brite day with little chance of getting fogged in. Wind from the west and fairly brisk. Tide was out some. Noonish high tide. About 11 wind died off and casting was much easier as it shifted to the south. It took a while of getting used to things like... well... learning what fish look like seeing where the tide was heading & how bad you could get stuck. (I kept your warning in the back of my mind.)

Once we figured out what fish look like on the flats & got several casts at some. Spooked a few, the others did not like our offerings. My partner ( Capt'n Carp) caught a schoolie blind casting in a drop off.
I had a rather amusing encounter with a seal. The damn fool was swiming in front of me about ten feet away with his eyes closed, he never saw me. When he did open his eyes he did a double take & and dove under the surface, headed for the dark water...Heh Heh it was rather funny. I was standing in knee deep water

I did spend quite a bit of time observing. Two other people were out on the flats & they gave us a few pointers (I neglected to get their names). I don't think they did any good either. One old timer was on the southway side got a few schoolies he said, he also said he saw pleanty of big ones but they were spookie he told us. Keith said SB had a few keepers that day.

Juro, I see what your concern is about getting marooned by the tides. On the south end if you cross that channel to the little island of grass at lowtide you will have to swim back at high tide or wait it out. One fella was out there with a kayak. I also saw what Ron meant about a compass being virtually useless in the fog. I can envision getting really twisted around in the murk. I marked a way point at the end of the trail.

Never the less our curiousity about NM is satisfied and it is a beautifal place. Next time I head down I will have a little sliver knowlege to help me. Maybe we will even explore SB. Who knows? there is much to learn & explore on the Cape. I know one thing for sure, if you guys say the SB is on fire. I am gonna listen next time

We did hit Squires for supper Sunday night and we stayed at the Stone Horse. Matt is a good guy & his rooms were reasonable in the hotel he just aquired next door. Clean, cheep & functional. Just what a fisherman needs

It was also a pleasure to meet Capt'n Keith. Now I see why you use his taxi

Hopefully we will meet soon. I am gonna try to make the Bone Clave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.