Wind direction/Flats fishing success - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 09:51 AM

Wind direction/Flats fishing success

Been contemplating my best and worst days of flats fishing over the last 5 yrs. and am interested if others have experienced the same or not regarding success vs wind direction on the flats.
Personal findings:
east wind = kiss of death
north wind = almost the kiss of death
sw = great fishing
One caviot re sw wind which I am particularly interested in receiving feedback......I have noticed on 3 occassions this year (including my most recent outing to SB) that the fishing is just OK if I go the first day with sw winds, after a couple of days of north winds. It seems to me that for the fishing to be better, there has to be at least 2 days of s or sw winds in a row. It seems that there are just more fish roving and feeding on the flats the 2nd day and after of s or sw winds.
What has been your experiences.....or am I just looking for an excuse for my paltry skills?
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2006, 07:20 PM

Ron,
The old timers always told me " When the wind is in the east, it is neither good for man nor beast.

I take it to heart....East winds?.... I just stay home, I have had the same luck as you.

North or NW winds can be OK. I had a few good days this spring with north winds blowing on Lake Winnepasake this spring Salmon fishing

But generally I think S or SW winds seem to be the most productive. At least that is what we at the local fly shop have deduced when the subject comes up.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:59 AM

In the Spring when the fish are very active the wind direction made very little difference. That's not to say that I haven't had poor fishing on a North East wind. I've had my share. FishHawk
Old 07-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The saying "when the wind is east the fishing is least" should be abolished, and it's original author sought out and shot in the town square.

I'd agree that once present the reaction of migrating fish remains pretty constant but remember it was response by mother nature to our prayers for a constant SW blow that brought the temp rise and by all accounts corellated with the biomass to the Cape from regions to the southwest.

I believe wind does affect the fishing, but through a chain of other influences like temperature in migratory and spawning cycles - and in summer plankton, thus bait and fish location. In fall a good blow always gets fish to move out often ruining a good thing.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-17-2006, 07:17 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Good topic for discussion. Generally, wind direction is a reflection of weather systems. Low pressure systems means stormy conditions, while high pressure systems provide favorable, stable conditions. Low pressure systems rotate in a counterclockwise direction, and generally the wind is from the east/northeast direction. High pressure systems rotate in a clockwise direction and winds generally are from the south. Low pressure systems tend to shutdown the fishery as a result of the bait moving off-shore because of the stormy conditions. After a couple of days of favorable, high pressure, conditions return to normal. At the onset of stormy conditions, fishing can be phenomenal, and then it shuts down.

There are a bunch of other variables affecting the conditions for favorable fishing, and tides, currents, time of day, structure, etc. are just a few of them. There is an excellent book, "The Fisherman's Ocean," by David Ross, Ph.D., explaining a lot of the factors affecting fishing. He is out of Woods Hole, and a great read for those serious about wanting to know more about those variables.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks buddy,

I just finished ordering it from Amazon
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.