leeches - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 11:36 PM

leeches

hey all. i am a beginner fly fisherman, fishing the streams in western new york. i have been teaching myself how to cast... and not scare the fish away. it took me a few day long trips to actually catch a fish, but i am slowly getting the hang of it. i would get some casting lessons, but i am a poor dental student living off student loans (i was barely able to afford a flyfishing outfit). so here's my story. i went to east coy creek, and fished a mile long section. i noticed that i was wading through some pretty muddy sections, but it didn't bother me too much (i don't have waders, so i wear mesh swimming shoes and swim trunks). i caught two small browns, and decided to walk back to my truck. so i drove over to cattaragus creek, where i had some pretty good luck, and caught the fish that is pictured in my avatar, among others. i made it back to my truck a little after 9pm, and pulled off my shoes to put on my flip flops. there it was... a big fat leech on my foot . i figured that i got it in the east koy, about 6 hours earlier. i pulled it off. as i was driving home, i noticed that my foot was sticky... i bled all over my floormat. the wound healed up in about 3 days, and just looked like an old bug bite. about a week and a half later, my foot blew up, swollen, red, pus filled, and painful. i went to the doc and sure enough it was infected. the doc told me that after a leech bite, you can retain some mouthparts in your skin, and along with the leeches gut bacteria and wearing shoes all day, can cause an infection. she also told me that i shouldn't go wading until it is totally healed . i am on antibiotics now, and the infection is clearing up. so long story short... watch out for leeches! sorry for the long winded story, but i thought i'd let you all know to check yoursleves for leeches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2006, 10:42 AM
fish'n Hobo

I hate leeches
YUK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.