Eleuthera Newbie - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 04:46 PM

Eleuthera Newbie

Hello all!
Just wanted to say hello to all, and figured i would give a report to start off with
I just found this forum, and really wished I had found it a couple of months ago before my trip to eleuthera...Here is how it went down...I really did not do much exploring, as once I found a flat that had fish i stuck with it till I fooled em!!! I went down 6-7 till 6-11...

I arrived wednesday evening to the rain, my spirits were down as the weather report was not looking good for my stay. After supper my dad i believe noticed my down spirit and told me to grab a rod. With a borrowed 8wt (mine broke a couple of days before the trip) in hand we were out the door to a nearby beach (ten bay)...low and behold there are a couple of schools of 30-40 fish all between 2-3lbs...good times, and i had enough time to sneak in 2 before the sun and mosquitos set. Here is my first bonefish ever! I was slightly stoked!!!!

and the release

clouds and rain were the forecast for the next few days...but that wasnt going to slow us down. We drove south and found a break in the weather and found a flat and we just had to wait on the tide to come in...here is my dad waiting for the bones and tide come in

here I am doing the same

ended up that day seeing probably 100 bones mostly doubles and singles...this is the place they were ultra spooky...had 2 fish take decent looks at mine and my dads presentations...guess they had seen what we were offering before :dooh:

The sunset that evening was next to none, here are a couple

I showed up one morning to one of the flats, and all I could see were tails and backs of bones!!! I could not believe it! it was the most tailing fish of any kind i have ever seen! but once again these bones were super spooky and didnt want any of the classic offerings...

It took me a couple of days but i finally caught a couple from this area. it was fun casting to bones while i was anke deep in water! The last morning I was there I decided to throw my 3wt...i got 2 to eat, missed the hook set on one and caught the other 2-3lbs on the 3wt!!!!!

swimming away

Then the winds really kicked up so i grabbed the 6 wt and started looking for more tails...I got in an area where i had spooked a couple just a bit before and decided to just wait, i waited about 2 minutes and had 2 good bones coming at me with tails and fins in the air! lead the fish by probably 25' and I get another to eat! after running around a couple of conch piles i bring it in, and to my delight he was a solid 5lber...

and sweet release

that was it for me...I did find some really cool places to fish in the future that i dont think get hit as hard...I talked to a few people that were down that had limited success and had a hard time with some of the same places i fished...

cant wait to go back!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 10:51 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

I'm in the middle of preparing sermon notes for Sunday..... I must admit this forum and these photos are real distractions.

Very, very nice.
www.vrbo.com/261406
Forum Sponsor
Acklins! Only Heaven is better.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Johnboy -

Those are gorgeous photos and thank you for sharing those awesome shots with us, they didn't go unnoticed!

Felton,

I have to say that every bonefish pic I see reminds me of Acklins and I long to return in fact I am counting the days.

I look forward to returning I hope twice this year!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 07-14-2006 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Johnboy, great photos, and congratulations on the hookups. Its hard to not like the Bahamas - great people, scenery, climate, and of course, bones.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:50 AM
fish'n Hobo

Thanks
Very nice report & pics
I'm ready to go back!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Flats Rat

Great report.

And, Welcome to the Forum!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.