Stream trout - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Stream trout

Lately I've been afflicted with SWFF but I do get on to sweet water once in a while. Mostly I've been either playing with dries drfiting in feeding lanes or swinging wets on a 5wt Spey. Both have produced.

I have my FW license and ordered a new 5wt line and I am thinking stream trout this year!

However just to open up my options, what are some of the most popular techinques used by trout anglers in this community?

There was a well canopied stream near the Vermont border where I could fish terrestrials like they do out west morning and evening and get smashing strikes from trout. Just like bass fishing, casting toward the opposite shoreline under brush and bang! What a kick that was; I need to get back up there.

In cold weather I've done well nymphing below a bushy dry fly and sometimes they surprise me by taking the dry.

How do you fish trout streams... and why do you like it thanks
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Fly chucker

Since we're talking streams instead of rivers, I prefer to use dries (upstream or downstream, I'm no purist) or wets, with a preference for wets. Streams aren't typically too deep (relatively speaking), so swinging a simple wet like a partridge and orange can be very productive in small riffles and seams. I think that dries work well in streams for the same reason (lack of any real depth).

I think that I also like to swing wets in such a situation because there's so much history associated with it. I can be doing this in central Connecticut and feel like I'm in jolly old England.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 AM
fish'n Hobo

Up my way..
I like to fish drys to a hatch & spinner fall , caddis at dusk (bomber squadrons).... terrestrials too!
certainly easier than nymphing or wet flies.
But I enjoy the hunt, figuring out the pattern...... and of course the TAKE!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:27 AM

I guess it all depends on the stream. The chalkstream-style fishing you have up your way (Juro) isn't much fun to nymph because there's very little current in most places. Sounds like you have the dry/dropper thing figured out which is a good solution to that dilemma. Terrestrials will work this time of year through the first frost as well.

I prefer to fish dries in a hatch but we don't have really great hatches where I fish. I enjoy nyphing dropper rigs as well. All depends on the situation. I had a blast fishing dries with no hatch at Yellow Creek in PA earlier this spring and it was super-productive. Over the last 2 years i have gotten into fishing midges both wet and dry as that's all that seems to work sometimes.

The variety of flies and ways to fish trout is mind-boggling. You can never run out of ways to experiment on selective fish.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:07 AM

Obviously, very different from the northeast but down here I fish large rabbit strip flies down deep to weed out small fish. Very effective for any rivers with large browns.

I'm going to start posting reports in the trout section. The blue ridge and great smokey mountain fisheries are incredible and get very little credit. Year round trout fishing with very consistent big fish.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM

Dave I for one would love to see some reports about the area you fish. I saw a TV show about the Hiawassee and was blown away by the size of the fish although I beleive that's a pay-to-fish situation. Probably not unlike Spruce Creek in PA where they just stock monster fish (to the detriment of the smaller wild trout). Do the rivers in your area hold a self-sustaining population of wild fish?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 PM

My preference is to "head hunt" with dry flies and my 3 wt. I spend a lot of time looking for rising fish and then getting into position and hopefully not blowing the cast.

Preference no 2 and not far behind is dry/dropper for LL salmon and brook trout up here in Maine. Size 10 orange stimulator with a size 18 copperjohn on a long dropper- FUN.

When all else fails, the old "ball and chain" One big nymph with a little guy on the dropper and a nice big bobber.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
I like to experiment. At the moment I'm stuck on emergers. In particular Klinkhamers and Bob Wyat's Deer Hair Emerger from his book Trout Hunting. I had a tangle in my line and was busy untangling it while my DHE was floating in a pool in front of me. A brown hit it so hard I thought someone had dropped a bowling ball in water in front of me. Scared the crap out of me.

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

I nymph and throw streamers all the time with a little dry action every now and then just to keep it interesting.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:29 PM

I like to fish wolley buggers along current seams and deeper runs on a short line. I fish the Millers River alot and its works real well. Oh I forgot that soft hackles rule.
Larry
Old 07-14-2006, 08:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
For me there's nothing like a dry fly. By far my favorite kind of fishing is with dries for trout on small streams. It may not produce as much as nymphs or other wet flies, but there's something about watching your fly drift down and the expectation of the take and then slurp or occassionally whack the fly is gone.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:30 AM

Dave,

The best part about down here is the variety. The 'Hooch has a population of wild Browns and I regularly hear of 8 and 9 pound fish being taken. They stock the hell out of it with Rainbows too (nice fish up to 24 inches).

In the mountains there are too many rivers to count that have native fish populations.

They have a traditional stocking program like many of the rivers in the northeast, from November to May. The fish die off in the summer. Typical winter days are in the 50's so the fishing is great.

As you mentioned, there are plenty of pay to play sites as well.

Bahama bones and the keys are an hour flight away, redfish a three and a half hour drive, The white river in Arkansas is close (I've yet to explore) and the trout fishing out the back door is great. All in all I've been very happy with the fishing situation in the southeast .
Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 PM

I too like the dry fly. My go to grey caddis is a real killer. I also like emerger fishing and especially the BWO hatch. Try the Farmington River in Ct. A great tailwater fishery. Also, the Hoosey in the Fall is a very pretty river to fish. FishHawk
Old 07-14-2006, 04:43 PM

I'm out west and mostly fish bigger rivers Vs. small streams, my typical outings include the entire arsenal or rods, 3, 3t, 5 wt and 7wt. with a full compliment of lines, floating, sink tip and full sink. And one double handed rod just for fun.
Presentation & fly selection depend on the water conditions (flow, depth) the prey (Rainbows, Browns, Cutthroat, Bull trout) and lastly the weather, wind being the constant that we deal with year round the other being the hatches in differnt seasons.
My most favorite time of all is to drift hoppers and stonefly patterns. There is something unique about having a big dry fly smashed by a waiting fish sitting at the right lie. Next is the hopper/dropper or dry+nymph tecnique, you just never know which fly the fish will hit. Lastly, streamers of all sorts on sink tip or full sink lines semm to always produce.
Having read your other replies, I must admit that I do miss the smaller streams in Vt., Maine & uptstae NY that I used to fish.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Flats Rat

When I can get to the river I love to fish the hatches. The Whitefly will happen in a couple of weeks and that's insane. Then later in October the bwo duns come floating down like micro sailing ships and its all about 6x and size 28s.

Its also nice to fish traditional wet fly swing. That's something I don't do enough of in sweet water these days!

I've not done it here yet, but a mini mudler skated across the surface after dark has yielded some big old browns and the light spey would be the perfect stick for that type of presentation.

With good current water levels and reasonable temperatures the trout fishing is outstanding for July. This will probably go down as one of the best seasons in many years on the Housy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.