Need to rejuvinate feathered tarpon flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 07:55 AM

Need to rejuvinate feathered tarpon flies

Got a tarpon trip coming up and I have several flies (tied with feathers) from previous trips that were never used. However, after lying around for several years, they need a little perking up. Any suggestions on how to

1.Get feathers to lie right along their spines

2. Straighten out slightly mis-shapen feathers

3. Put back the curve in splayed feathers

I think I may have read somewheres that wetting them between paper towels and placing them in the wanted position will do the trick, but I'm open to any improvement on this method or any other methods. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 09:56 AM
LBFF Mojo

Try hot water first. Hold them in a vertical position by the hook head first and run them under the hottest tap water you can and lay them flat on a paper towel. That should do the trick in most cases.

Steam will work as well but I only use that as a last resort because sometimes it will splay the feathers into all kinds of unwanted directions that are impossible to fix.

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Flats Rat

Sound advice from Sean.

The problem with steam is feathers are basically made up of protiens and if the steam gets too hot it can "cook" the feather into a permanent unwanted shape.

Slightly off-topic but this property can also be used to advantage. If you have a feather that just won't tie in correctly, squeezing the shaft with flatnose pliers and applying heat can do the trick. Without heat the stalk will eventually return to its original shape after being 'cold-squeezed'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.