Chatham Inside Flats-pattern changes? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM
fish'n Hobo

Chatham Inside Flats-pattern changes?

So .... we are now in mid July. To the Monomoy sharpies.... how has the closing up of the southway and diminished flows affected the inside flats fishing? Do you feel the migration and resident "patterns" of bass have changed?
No need for specific spots or locations. (just trying to start an interesting discussion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 11:27 AM

I have spent a fair amount of time out there and will throw my hat in the ring. Here is my comparison of the 2006 flats season compared to the last 4 years. I'm sure many will disagree. Hopefully the Simms boys chime in because they have spent as much time as anyone out there this year.

-There is less current

-There is less bait (I still havent seen big dark shoals of sand eels moving across the flats. This used to be a regular occurance).

-There are less bass. There are less bluefish that we had in 2005.

-No pods of all-keepers seen yet

I've taken my share of legal fish out there this year but nothing like in years past where you could land 4-5 or more in a day. I doubt many guys have had days like that sight fishing the flats in 2006.

I still enjoy fishing there because it's a beautiful environment and I love sight fishing. I have just learned to re-adjust my expectations a bit.

Just one man's opinion.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Big Dave's got it right.

Can't use the old tide tables anymore, add a couple of hours and subtract most of the flow until the upper end. Add several degrees of temperature.

However we did get into some shoals of sand eels and plenty of blues on the sound side. Off an on, nothing seems consistent day to day yet.

No lack of big singles / right place right tide.

Silversides arrived a couple of weeks ago, quite late.

Not a peak year for the refuge, but better than last year for me / clients. Changing up things helps a lot, most of the action has come from other than the usual places so far.

Several days on the flats coming up... will post more.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 PM

Greetings boyz. I'm new to the forum but not new to the area in question.

I have to disagree with the opinions of there being less bass and especially less bait. We are referring to Monomoy right? Not sure where the 2 sharpies above are fishing but I personally have not seen a shortage of either. Especially pods of keepers.

I have seen more pods of keeper fish this year then last year by far. Now trying to get them to take is another story. For me the fish have been more picky then last year.

Anyway. Just another non sharpies opinion..but what do I know.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 PM

Welcome xfactor!

Again we did get into some shoals of sand eels and plenty of blues on the sound side. Silversides arrived a couple of weeks ago, quite late. Fish routes and behavior seemed inconsistent from day to day on consecutive outings (on the same spot sequence) however there was no lack of big fish right place / right tide.

Translation: Yes there is bait, yes there are big fish.

You seem to have a good handle on things. So what are your theories on their pickiness then?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
The southway constriction has had a major impact on the fishery. Once it gets cranking late in the coming tide, there is good current, but the bait doesn't seem to be present in the quantities seen in previous years. Having said that, there was a day in early June that was surreal. Wave after wave of stripers came across the flats. If I saw one, I saw 10,000. George Ryan, who has guided for 15years in the area, told me that he has never seen that many fish in one day. But, they were migratory fish and gone the next day.

As the southway has narrowed, current and flow has increased from the sound side. It has made the fishery different, but its still there for the observant.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:56 AM

Jim,

Good to hear from you. I've been out several times since your shift ended and things are advancing nicely. I have several bookings coming up, let's chat offline after.

When are you heading back out?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 AM

To say I have a good handle on things would be a matter of opinion. Certainly not mine. I'm just responding to a question that was asked and other opinions that were posted.

Based on some of your posts I'm sure you could provide a better theory then I.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.