Floating Stone Fly - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 04:02 PM

Floating Stone Fly

I need help in locating the recipe for the Floating Stone Fly used to fish for Atlantic Salmon. This is the one with the pin used as a post for the hackle tied parachute style. I know there is a pattern with a picture on the Internet because I copied it once, but apparently have misplaced it. I have Googled, Dogpiled, etc., but have not come up with the pattern. Instruction on how to best tie in the hackle will also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Pullin' Thread

Sounds like you are looking for Lee Wullf's dry stonefly pattern. I don't recall the dressing for it; but you ought to be able to find it easily enough by searching for Lee Wullf's dry stonefly or salmon stone (something along those lines). Also, a search of Lee Wullf's book on Atlantic Salmon probably would turn up the dressing as well. And I'm pretty sure the dressing is found in Col. Joe Bates and Pamela Bates book on salmon.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:28 PM

The basics go something like this:

low water hook
body: bright green floss
wing: black bear tied flat across the body
hackle: white/badger
head: black

It's mostly fished wet or hitched. It's not a floating dry fly per se, but I suppose you could grease it up and fish it that way. I like the deer hair post for the hackly instead of the pin becuase it feels more natural and hitches much better than another hunk of metal on the hook.

-Chris
Old 07-12-2006, 06:10 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I couldn't find it in Col. Bates book. Maybe Charlie could post a pic... nice examples in the glass case at Camp Bonavanture as recall.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 AM

Hi Smolt,

The basics from Wilson are correct as to what I have seen used on the Gaspe today. My friend LT loves the fly and has had great success on the Matapedia and Petite using it.

As you can see from the attached advertisement from Joan & Lee in 1989, they have a similar shape but that is it. The Wulff fly was a molded plastic body to the hook. The pin portion was part of the mold. No thread was used, only glue to make the fly. Note the colors available.

If anyone has one, I would love to see a photo.

C.R.O.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lee-Wulff.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	5895  
Old 07-12-2006, 07:18 AM

This is my version of the fly I think we are all talking about.

Smolt,

If this is the one you are thinking of please let me know and I will do a step by step for you. It is not a difficult fly to tie.

Charlie.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stone.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	5896  
Old 07-12-2006, 03:13 PM

[QUOTE=Charlie]This is my version of the fly I think we are all talking about.

Smolt,

If this is the one you are thinking of please let me know and I will do a step by step for you. It is not a difficult fly to tie.

Charlie.[/QUOTE

First, thanks to all.

As an aside, it seems that I am getting so dependent on the Internet, I simply forgot to refer to the many books I have that might hold the pattern. Of course, the one book I don't have is the Lee Wulff book.

Back in the 1980's I bought a group of 4 or 5 flies from the Wulff's operation. I never used them and know I have them somewhere. If the fly in question is among them, and I can find them, I will post pictures when I return from the Miramichi later this month.

Charlie,

That's the fly. A step-by-step will be greatly appreciated. I, along with another poster on this site, are on the road to the Miramichi tomorrow after lunch. I, however, will be able to access your instructions this weekend and still have time to tie a few before we begin fishing on Monday.

Thanks again.

CK
Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 PM

Green stone fly

See sextonandsextondotcom/fliesdothtml

The black and green worked well for me.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Here are some pics of my version with the foam. This is a type of post that parachute trout flies are tied on, it is quite easy to use.

Tight Lines

Jim Y
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foam 1.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	5915  
Old 07-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Side shot of the fly...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foam 2.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	5916  
Old 07-15-2006, 05:56 PM

That's a nice tie. Doesn't the foam make it float too much. I've always fished them wet. I suppose using it with a hitch works well.

-Chris
Old 07-15-2006, 06:35 PM

Jim
Nice fly and an innovative way of tying in the hackle. I use the yellow plastic "wisks from a household broom. You flatten the head on a stove top at low heat and make the bend at about 4 mm. makes a durable light attachement.The beads on the pin-and-yellow-bead method tend to break after awhile.This fly can be tied two ways.Using doubles ( low water) as you have and also on light Wilson dry hooks or other suitable dry fly hooks . One advantage of using dry fly hooks is that this fly can be fished ways on one cast. An initial 5 or 10 second as a dry and then swung as a wet. May I suggest trying Flourescent Chartreuse instead of green for the body .Sometimes a green wing helps, also.
In size 10's IMHO Badger hackle seems to work better. One subdued tie for the North Shore is the Godbout Speciale .Size 4 doubles and uses black thread to tye in the green body.
CRO Don't have any of the plastic variety but I do have some Lee wolfe or Bill Coffey originals from the late 60's that I'll try and post some pic's of here . BTW, the plastic was ,I believe , melted on the head to "attach" the hackle and wing
Cheers
Old 07-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

The foam does make it float better, which is either good or bad depending on your point of view. Quite honestly, I stuck my finger with one of the yellow pins a few years ago when I was bending it, so I decided to try the foam for no other reason besides my own fingers saftey. This legendary Lee Wulff pattern can go wet or dry, dead drifted or swung. It's kind of like a bomber-there is no wrong way to fish it, just get it in the water.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Distant 26 pounder 2 copy.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	5918  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.