Puerto Rico Exploratory - Virgin Mission - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Puerto Rico Exploratory - Virgin Mission

I am thinking taking two days off in September, Friday and Monday to stretch it into a four-day exploratory fling.

15-18th for instance, early flight out and late flight back. Currently round trip $258 Non-stop BOS to San Juan.

Ideally we would have four explorers, rent a nice vehicle and do hit and runs through the accessible lagoon systems with one day on a boat (split fee) looking for the famous pilchard blitzes with a local guide.

A few thoughts...

I am interested in learning more than catching, but of course there has to be some catching.

It's more of an investment into knowledge of the area so that more efficient trips can be made at very low cost more frequently with increasing results just like Acklins but for a quick tarpon fix.

At $258 r/t nonstop, shared car and board once we are dialed in a long weekend could be a tarpon fix of very high potency.

After jumping 11 in less than two hours in a lagoon recently I am anxious to get a fishery like this dialed in for easy, inexpensive and productive fishing.

I am looking for leading edge types willing to sacrifice exploratory time to get the big picture in their heads. I want to explore the San Juan lagoon systems (known to be productive) also the west and southwest shoreline and possibly Culebra Island if time permits. Culebra also has big bones and a guy from NJ who rents boats very reasonably.

Anyone interested reply and let's get the wheels rolling...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 10:02 AM

I'm in. September looks good to me
Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 AM

Dave -

We find a pod like that and we are going to have to syncro-cast to avoid spookage without two on the line... on three ready?

One...... two.....
Old 07-10-2006, 12:30 PM

Tarpon

I usually like to do MVY in September so if you hold off this trip till October I am in...

Would enjoy fishing with you and Dave17 and any other Acklins vets again !
Old 07-10-2006, 01:51 PM

They say the pilchard blitzes in PR are like bluefish blitzes but the fish are 100#...
Old 07-14-2006, 08:02 AM

Dave,

the southwest corner and westside has several nice lagoons and sheltered shoreline structures (the above pic was from this area) and I feel it would be a must-see area. It's far enough away from San Juan and has a cottagey sound. I am sure we could roam with flyrod in hand looking for cruising tarpon and I am confident we will find them there.

The main lagoon systems near SJ city are expansive and although some look acessible it might take some flotation to really exploit that potential. I might pack inflatable kayak. If no one else jumps in we're all set with what I already have.

We can split a ride with a tarpon guide as well, Sept is their hot season for tarpon right around the airport lagoons.

Further east Culebra seems to call... cheap boat rentals from a New Jersey native business man and that big lake with the camping on the gorgeous beach discussed earlier might even host a slam... there has to be permit there, we know there are bones and tarpon.

The nice thing about this is it's so close and domestic so it's as easy as heading to Florida for the weekend and the conveniences of rental cars, etc are all there. It also does not take me out of the Acklins trip because it doesn't use up vacation or burn up too many brownie points with my S/O.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:17 AM

Let me know when your ready to book a flight and I'll sync up and book one as well. I have a million Hertz points so consider the car taken care of......
Old 07-14-2006, 08:40 AM

Cool I will pick up the heavy baggage fee for the inflatbles
Old 07-14-2006, 10:16 AM

Dave.. Juro

send me an email and I will dig out all my archived info on Puerto Rico and send it to you... there should be some new stuff in there you havent seen..

again... if its a long weekend and I can work around a Chappy trip I am in..
Old 08-03-2006, 02:56 PM

Hello Gents:

I am really interested in this thread. My wife may be sent to Puerto Rico for a conference through work, and we may get the mother-in-law to come out and watch the kids. So,...

I have done some research through the internet so my interest is peaked about the possibilites. We will be going in March; not a prime time for Bones but a very good time for Tarpon (aye Sábalo de mis sueños). My wife's hotel is going to be in viejo San Juan with the conference close by and I have a cousin that lives in S. J., too. I want to try local for tarpon but the flats off Culebra look very interesting. Anyway, wish you guys luck and what for your report.

Fish hard.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 PM

Welcome, yes let's definitely share our findings.

As I do more research March is a good time since it's in the dry season.

Dave although the famous pilchard blitzes are in September so is hurricane season. With prices so low and lots of amenities we can do a spur of the moment trip any time with the long range forecast in view during the storm season (now thru November) but there may be some merit in postponing until the drier months from December thru April. Anytime after that and we're into striper season again.

Another option for me is a 3-4 day fling in August just to prime the pump. It's easy enough to get back there with so many cheap flights and good flight schedules, domestic too.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:38 AM

I have to do it this fall if it's going to happen. After the turn of the year I'll have just enough vacation for Acklins and my honeymoon. The little lady is pretty understanding but if I don't have enough days to cover the wedding and honeymoon she'll kill me. After the wedding Acklins is my biggest priority. In '06 I have days to burn so I'm in if we can do it this fall
Old 08-04-2006, 05:29 AM

Quote:
The little lady is pretty understanding but if I don't have enough days to cover the wedding and honeymoon she'll kill me.

Well I guess I can't blame her for that

OK bro, this fall it is. It's cheap and easy so 2-3 days off (friday and monday +/- tuesday) should give us a good initial cross-section from that very spot in the picture (got it completely recon'ed by aerial already) to the city lagoons.

If 3 days and Culebra Island would be in the cards as well, or else we could focus the first trip on Culebra and the city lagoons but I doubt we could do justice to the west end as well.

So I suspect leaving Thurs PM returning Tuesday PM (tues-thurs is cheapest and most available) would allow us to spray a few casts on everything from the west end to Culebra quickly and do the San Juan lagoons Tues before a PM flight home.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
The little lady is pretty understanding but if I don't have enough days to cover the wedding and honeymoon she'll kill me.

Well I guess I can't blame her for that

OK bro, this fall it is. It's cheap and easy so 2 days off (friday and monday) should give us a good initial cross-section from that very spot in the picture (got it completely recon'ed by aerial already) to the city lagoons.

If 3 day Culebra Island would be in the cards as well, or else if we do a short trip (fri-mon for instance) we could focus the first trip on Culebra and the city lagoons but I doubt we could do justice to the west end as well unless we fly back Tues PM.

So I suspect leaving Thurs PM returning Tuesday PM (tues-thurs is cheapest and most available) would allow us to spray a few casts on everything from the west end to Culebra quickly and do the San Juan lagoons Tues before a PM flight home.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:23 PM
LBFF Mojo

I am just going to stay here in Rhody

http://www.projo.com/fishing/content...h.1ffdb7c.html

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.