Still Crazy After All These Years - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Still Crazy After All These Years

I am more of a Stevie Ray Vaughn / Hendrix blues type of guy with some jazz, fusion and classic hard rock preferences but my better half and I went to the Paul Simon concert last night and I have to say that man is an amazing musician and a legend who deserves to be held in the highest acclaim when it comes time to honor great American musicians.

The depth of his music was something I only realized by attending the concert, from his days with Garfunkel smoothing out post-60's anthems that touched the core of culture to his explorations in African rhythms (which he learned living there) to in-depth grasp of American folk genre but with a rock edge and unique Paul Simon presence that was much more powerful than I had realized listening to the radio as life zoomed by in my car or while chatting away at a good party, etc.

When his music took the spotlight in concert the genius of it shined. And man can that band JAM. With decades of hits to his name he walked the house through reflective, celebrative, melancholy, and ecstatic moments and came out for three encores. On the last encore my wife and I said to each other he deserved to be let go because he (and band) worked their asses off for us.

We looked up his bio... he is now 61 years young and you'd never know it. I have to say I am amazed having been thoroughly rocked at the concert last night by his ensemble. If you get a chance to go to his show, do it.

Man I hope I can jam at 61
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Juro- I'm actually into more of a punk revival thing at the moment, with it being the 30th anniversary of the Sex Pistols and all (man, does that make me feel old...). I think Adrian actually got to see a few of their concerts back in the day
NEVER MIND THE BULLOCKS!!! ANARCHY IN THE UK!!! Where's my "BLEEP"in' safety pin?!!!
And don't forget The Ramones! LOBOTOMY!!! LOBOTOMY!!! I wanna be sedated.....
Flydoc
Old 07-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Flats Rat

Actually the pistols were a bit after my time. I gew up with Beetles, Stones, YES, Deep Purple, Led Zep, Captain Beefhart, Hendrix and the Groundhogs.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:04 PM

Any one who likes Stevie Ray Vaughn will love "The Record" by Burnside Exploration. Fresh blues with a little youthful energy (anger?). Not trying to be anyone else. Exciting.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:33 PM

Still crazy after all these years

I went to see Paul and his band on Sunday nite and they were awesome. I couldn't agree more with Juro's post.
While watching I couldn't help but notice how in tune he was with his other bandmates,often performers play "to the audience" but in this show they seemed to play to each other and we were just along for the ride, a very enjoyable one at that. It was as if you could feel their passion for the music. GREAT SHOW.

BTW Juro if you see this post I sent you a PM about the Rodrack Moderator a few weeks ago, let me know if you are still interested.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Sounds great Greg - let's talk
Old 07-19-2006, 06:46 AM

Still crazy after all these years

Juro you have aPM

Greg
Old 07-23-2006, 02:33 AM

Cool Coincidence

Hi Juro,

this is Jose from Spain. Now its sunday morning and coincidences of life Im listening Paul Simon,s Graceland album on the mp3. ou are right about P. Simon. I was in his last concert in Spain (almost 10 years ago) and it was great!! Best moments for me were when he and his acoustic guitar were solo on the stage, simply amazing.

Ive been reading atlantic salmon posts on dry fly fishing. I was at Ponoi in Kola three weeks ago and during one of my best nights I had 5 explosive takes on bombers pulled like a popper. Inside my head the song was only one during all night: The wind cries Mary, from tha master JH

cheers

Jose
Old 07-23-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose
I had 5 explosive takes on bombers pulled like a popper
AWESOME image in my head! And that's one of my favorite Hendrix tunes, I've been learning that one on the guitar and getting those subtle nuances he gets is really a cool course of study.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.