Incident in Chatham - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 03:51 AM

Incident in Chatham

Chris and his son Ian were down for a couple of day and I offered to guide them and show them a popular UDL. Things started out great and the flies that I tie for them got results. Then it happened.
In Forty years of fishing I never witness what was about to happen.
The three of use were set up in a hole when this boat plows in between us and the ole geeze throw out his anchor and starts to unload his boat.
Chris yells out to the guy , "Hey were fish here!!!" The old guy replies 'I've been coming here for forty years."and continues to unload his boat.
I try to reason with his wife would pretends not to hear us.
We left in disgust , but in hind site we should have kept on fishing .
To top it all off there was another boat loaded with his grand children , they were reluctant to land but when grandpa did , they also beached there boat.
What the hell is going on here.!!! People seem to be getting more and more arrogant. Perhaps its the price of gas that drove this old guy to beach his boat close to the marina. I think this tops Paxton's Clammer incident , it wouldn't surprise me if the Clammer was this guys son. FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2006, 09:15 AM

Bill, if it's the same "hole' that I'm thinking of.....last week I was in the same place and yet another clammer anchored there without regard to the fact that I was fishing...in my previuos post, I left that one out as there were enough examples of the day's frustration.
Sounds like gramps is "gifting" his grandchildren with the attitude of inconsideration......hopefully they are smarter than him and reject their inheritance.
Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine!!! Nice attitude...if I want it, screw everyone else!
And we expect there to be peace in the Middle East??????
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Although I agree that there is horrendous behavior out there part of it is that in these places intrusions are more emphasized; and in a sick way the challenges are what makes me love the game.

An example of an emphasized intrusion is when steelheading out west a flotilla of river kayaks could either pass quietly and play in another pool or decide they are going to practice eskimo rolls in the one your fishing. In an ocean setting I would just move on but in a river it's not so easy to find the right ingredients for a hookup.

We should consider ourselves lucky that the SWFF game is a gargantuan playing field we could never completely cover, and boneheads can't defeat us.

A big part of my depth of knowledge in the area I have to attribute to these kinds of challenges making me dig deeper; otherwise I would sit on the first sandy lobes to the left or right of the rendezvous and get great shots all day long.

I think I will learn a totally new spot next time I get to fish for myself.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
We should consider ourselves lucky that the SWFF game is a gargantuan playing field we could never completely cover, and boneheads can't defeat us.

But, that playing field is getting smaller everyday...continue to lobby for that lost cause "public access"
Old 07-08-2006, 11:44 AM

Maybe I have the wrong perspective but with my Brewster beach passes I can access every lot from the Dennis line to Crosby Landing; Nauset (when the birds are done) from Orleans to Chatham Inlet; Dennis pass Quivett to East Yarmouth including the offroads. The national seashore is a few dollars a day from Wellfleet to Truro around the Race to Herring Cove for one ticket - but I rarely get up there and that's just mid-cape to tip.

Even still I know what you mean, I've found myself having to explain the riparian access laws to private complainers more and more lately.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe I have the wrong perspective but with my Brewster beach passes I can access every lot from the Dennis line to Crosby Landing; Nauset (when the birds are done) from Orleans to Chatham Inlet; Dennis pass Quivett to East Yarmouth including the offroads. The national seashore is a few dollars a day from Wellfleet to Truro around the Race to Herring Cove for one ticket -....
Yes, you do have the wrong perspective: most of us do not have all that much time
on the Cape to 1) figure out all of the passes required; 2)where to buy them; and
3) guess at when someone will actually be around to actually issue them.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
An example of an emphasized intrusion is when steelheading out west a flotilla of river kayaks could either pass quietly and play in another pool or decide they are going to practice eskimo rolls in the one your fishing. In an ocean setting I would just move on but in a river it's not so easy to find the right ingredients for a hookup.

I grew up fishing in the Deerfield river in Massachusetts. Same thing Juro. once "The Yuppies" decided it was cool to Kayak they did the same thing there. I asked them to move down many times only to be greeted with a rude gesture or commentary. It seems that whatever they were doing was right & us fishermen were wrong, cruel abusers of trout. I have seen the time when people would wade out in the stream & start fights with river rafters & kayakers because of their poor atrtitudes.

It is a shame that this has to happen on the cape too. I lived in Ft Walton Beach Fl for several years mid 80's to 92 & do not ever recall an bad encounter with another fisherman or boater. I fished Piers, surf & the intercostal; waterway. Maybe things have changed for the worse there too.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:32 PM

Now-a-days people assume that they have rights and or they are entitled to them whatever be the effect on others.....I long for the days when we all EARNED our rights and privledges and respect was the code.
I agree that the issues described forces one to find new locations...but IMHO...that only reinforces the ones who are disrespectful of others...I would like to second Adrian's point about reporting of incidents and some real consequences.
Without consequences...the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
Ron
Old 07-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Flats Rat

I decided to fish the upper Housatonic today. For most of the time I had the place to myself. At one pool I've wanted to fish for long time, I arrived and there were twenty teenage kids at the top of the falls. The drop is about 50 feet and its pretty spectacular. A couple of girls were climbing down to a ledge which looked dangerous. I started to cast to the far side of a current seem when out of the corner of my eye I see one of the girls make a perfect dive into the pool. Her friend decided to do the bomb. Both survived, swam to shore, gave me a smile and went on their way. Their boyfriends stayed on dry land and sheepishly made off to their trucks. After that I had the river to myself again.

I was recollecting last week-end at Chatham and thinking, well, so much for this pool but it could be a lot worse. If I was going to fish Chatham this month and next I'd probably head for North Monomoy. Still not completely out of the woods but probably a bit too inconvenient for Grandpa.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:36 PM

Actually I was being polite/suggestive... it's a piece of cake to get passes; thus easy to reach out and try something new.

Brewster sells them 7 days a week right across the street from Point of Rocks Beach from 9am - 3pm, and when they aren't selling them (other times of day) they allow anyone to park for free.

National Seashore - drive up and buy one, if no one is there then just go to all the town accesses which are not enforced during off hours.

Chatham light parking free from 4:30p to 9:30a; and on and on.

Just get on line before you arrive and check it out... compared to recon for Acklins finding out the scoop on beach passes is childs play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pavlov
Yes, you do have the wrong perspective: most of us do not have all that much time
on the Cape to 1) figure out all of the passes required; 2)where to buy them; and
3) guess at when someone will actually be around to actually issue them.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:40 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Adrian- as far as solitude is concerned, my experience at North Monomoy yesterday would seem to support that. Last weekend's experiences/posts seemed to have spooked off the majority of the FFF crowd, as there were just four intrepid souls (including Craig and myself) on the 8 AM Rip Ryder, and we all went to Monomoy. We all hiked across from the drop off to get to the flats on the western side, then split up. I headed south a bit to get to this transition zone between the slightly deeper flats to the north and some shallow flats to the south, and started fishing along the seam between the two areas. High was at 11ish (still trying to figure out the exact relation to the Stage Harbor tide charts); so I got to fish some of the incoming before the tide went slack/started to go out. Conditions not good in the AM for sight fishing- haze interfered with the sun and created too much glare to see through the water for more than 15-20 feet in any direction. Had one "to the rod tip" follow by a pod of about 4 small fish (no takers) and one bite/threw the hook before I decided to move further south. Spent the rest of the day hiking/exploring the expansive flats to the south with little luck;once the sun did come out the fish seemed to vacate the flats- I was able to sight maybe 2 or 3, and cast to only one of those). I eventually wound up blind casting into the deep channel along the east side of Monomoy with one fish caught (20 incher) and released, although I had to contend with a few moron boaters beaching right next to me shortly after I caught that one. Then hiked back up to the drop off to be greeted by Keith waiting for me at just after 4 PM- great timing! Not a great fishing day, but a wonderful day for exploring and getting to know the beauty that is Monomoy all over again (it had been a while since I last went there instead of SB). I plan to continue my efforts to unlock its many secrets. As sensei Juro would say..."the path to flyfishing enlightenment is long and arduous, but the journey is one that enriches your soul"....at least that's what I remember him saying while I was under the influence of that 125 proof Bourbon at the CAC....
Flydoc
Old 07-09-2006, 07:35 AM
LBFF Mojo

Or one can just remember bass live other places than the elbow...from the sounds of it I may not make a trek there this year at all.

-sean
Old 07-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Wanna be striper bum

The elbow

Well,

The overall beauty and general fishiness of the elbow of the Cape are forever etched in my mind after 4-5 years of summer pursuits in the area.

However, as the ways of the sensei took root in my soul I decided that my path to enlightenment did not include regular travel on route 3 south. So I have been fishing my local waters extensively over the past 2 years with great pleasure.

The NH coast embodies the opposite of what you guys are posting in regards to the Chatham shorelines. I fish in solitude, especially in September and October. And last weekend I found the best damn flat ever in a UDL that is a pool toy ride from shore. The New Hampshire Mecca.

I will still head to Chatham when baby and Mommy and Big Boss Man do not need attention. I love the place. But I can be fishing on my private NH shoal fringed flat in less time than it takes for me to get to Braintree (slightly less than half way to Chatham). Local fishing is what the sensei in my brain is telling me to do.

Then again, if you guys want to take me oversand some day in Orleans or on the Brewster stretch then I'll pay for the gas.

Happy fishing,

Mike
Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
All great points. I was just shocked that as I was stripping in my fly that the guy drove his craft nearly into me over my line. There is plenty of fishy water, no doubt, it was just a real shock the obtuse rudeness of the old man. By the same reasoning there were also plenty of other spots to gunk-hole his boat. We did move, on of course, and still had a nice morning. Having come down with my wife and son for a few days with both limited knowledge and time to spend I went with a known spot for both good flats and rip structure. It was another episode of several during this stay of excessive rudeness that frankly was very discouraging. One woman was so rude in a store in Chatham Brenda and I stopped that I didn't know what to say. The woman just plowed though us muttering invectives for our leisurly pace. I was embarrased for her teenaged daughter.

They were incidents that had me take a moment and recenter myself and say if it weren't for the #$%&**'s in the world we'd have no point of reference for decency. Unfortunately they seem to be happening more frequently and in more confrontational and personally directed manners. Fine examples to their heirs. It starts at the top though. That's the way our callus leaders are bullying their way throught the world so it's no surprise that others are claiming their right to things and saying that everyone else can just go to hell.

Ironically, the beaches and flats we visited were very uncrowded and pleasant other wise and we did have a nice time inspite of them.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
it weren't for the #$%&**'s in the world we'd have no point of reference for decency
I love that quote, thank you! It might make me smile at the jerks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.