Steelhead or Trout? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Steelhead or Trout?

This is a question related to SSPey's thread about follow-ups.

For those that fish where there are both trout and steelhead, how do you distingush looks or pulls from trout vs. steelhead? I have been fooled so many times.

The rat-tat-tat type of grab is an obvious trout. A huge boil, moving lots of water, is obviously a steelhead. But what of the in-between situations:

A hard thump?
A pull?
A boil that moves a small to modest amount of water?

I've had light pulls on a cast, changed flies, and had similar pulls that ended in a solid hookup to a steelhead.

I've had steelhead hookups on a waker that seemed just like a trout to an elk hair caddis. I've even missed steelhead by failing to set the hook when I was incorrectly certain that the rise was from a trout. (My buddy watching from above saw that particular episode.)

I've had hard thumps, with no rat-tat-tat, that seemed like it had to be from a big fish, but a subsequent cast verified to be a trout.

My usual approach is to hope it was a steelhead, but if I suspect trout I will try and prove it by fishing a trouty fly, such as a soft hackle or small dark wet.

How do you distinguish between grabs, if possible? If not, what do you do if fishing water where both subspecies are present to identify what approached your fly?

--Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 09:57 PM
loco alto!

heck if I know how to tell the difference. To complicate matters, I've had several times when "rat-tat-tats" turned into weighty steelhead on the end of the line.

One strategy that I employ is to fish 1/0 wets pretty regularly. On the waters that I fish, it is the very rare trout that gets it maw around a fly that big.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.