Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newbie casting distance question

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bostoned 
#1 ·
So, I've done the flyfishing thing for a couple years now for trout in the northeast but never had to make any huge casts. I decided that I need a new challenge for the striper fishing and so I picked up a cheap 8/9 weight scientific anglers rod , some sinking 444 cortland and a quality reel. Figured after I felt comfortable with everything and after I've landed a couple fish I would eventually upgrade the rod to something a bit better. I didn't want to shell out a car payment on a rod until I was comfortable with everything and had broken the ice with the cheap rod.

My question has to deal with how far most people can send a fly. I was in Tiverton, RI this past weekend and had the chance to get out on the sakonnet river a bit. The wind was pretty brutal a couple times but it calmed down some too. I was able to make about 60' casts but that was my limit and if the wind kicked up that distance was reduced.

About how far should I be able to cast with this setup? I'm trying to do this all on my own as I don't have any buddies who fly fish to give me any pointers so I would appreciate any info or pointers that anyone could provide.

Thanks!
-bostoned

See less See more
#2 ·
I normally use an intermediate line and can toss it about 70'-80' in a light wind. Casting 60' with a sinking line on that setup is pretty good. With a floating line you should be able to do another 20'. Of course a lot depends on the size of the fly and how much wind there is.

#3 ·
I think that given your situation of experience, gear, and weather conditions, a sixty foot cast is excellent. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll catch some fish. After you catch a few fish and upgrade your equipment as you've described in your plan, the better gear plus your growing confidence and abilities will equal greater casting distance.

Be proud! Sure, longer casts will put your fly in front of more fish, but sixty feet to start with is pretty darned good.

#4 ·
Thanks! I wasn't sure exactly what is a decent cast with my setup. I wasn't too upset with my casting because there was a pretty good wind in my face the whole time.

I was thinking that I probably should have started out with an intermediate line first instead of the fast sinker that I bought but since I was going to be fishing the ocean I wanted something that would get down.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.