A "Patriotic" Cape Day on SB - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 10:23 PM

A "Patriotic" Cape Day on SB

Went to SB today with friend Garry......I must adimt, I now realize why I am usually a weekday fisherman there as opposed to weekends, esp. a holiday weekend.
After assessing today...I wonder if the Cape will survive this holiday weekend or just sink into the depths of the ocean.
In addition to seeing many fish, but catching very few (only the stupid ones I think ) ...the day had many eventful moments that make me either want to laugh or cry On this Patriot weekend, I was reminded of the scene in the movie "Finding Nemo"...where the seaguls all all screaming "mine, mine, mine"...so patriotic!!!!
Boaters were something!!!!
Here are the examples:
Boat #1....deep V boat approaching the shallow flat I'm fishing on (I am shin deep about 100ft from shore)....heads straight for me...I'm waving hysterically...crunch....boat laying on it's side in 10 inches of water......brilliant!!!!!! I politely thanked them for the experience and helping me fish and then decided to let the 4 guys on the boat try and push their rig off the flat....I would have assisted, but I was busy trying to find a flat that didn't have a boat listing on one side on it. I won't give the exact location as that flat will now sport a huge trench that should be hot, hot, hot to fish next time
Boat #2: Blasted by the "no wake" buoy near E at at least 35 mph one hr before the low....4 kids and a dog aboard....wump.....props spraying mud 10 ft in the air....why passengers were not launched to the southway is beyond me;
Boat #3 (my favorite)....at low tide, running parallel to shore 30 ft out....2 guys spin fishing casting to the shore in about 2 inches of water????????....is there something that I should know that I don't ??? The boat was incredibly efficient in scraping any stripers off that shore flat....thanks again for the help....much appreciated!
#4: Clammer and his boat.....saw me fishing on a flat....blasted through about 20 ft away from me....I shook my head in disgust....clammer says.."why are you shaking your head?"....me...." because that was incredibly inconsiderate"...clammer..."do you really think that I give a sh_ _ about you, I'm a professional fisherman"....me...."you obviously don't give a sh_ _ about anyone or anything"
We exhanged some universal language....I spent the rest of the day praying for a clam that was exposed to significant amounts of radiation and was 15 ft across and had teeth and only attacked when someone was standing spread eagled over it
#5: Young couple in 14 ft Boston Whaler....as I was initiating a cast to a pod of 8 stripers..... they ran over them to appraoch me to ask if the fishing was good...they seemed like a nice young couple so I let them live

Lastly, my friend Garry was successful in completing the early summer trifecta: striper, bluefish and seal!!!! Congrats my dear friend, I will always look up to you!
Warning to all......tomorrow is the fourth of July.....be safe....be careful, try and maintain a bit of humor, you will need it if you dare to venture out for a day of relaxation.

Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 03:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Happy 4th

Have a great Independence Day chaps. Hope all your stripers are stars!
Old 07-04-2006, 03:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Happy 4th

Have a great Independence Day chaps. Hope all your stripers are stars!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:38 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Ron- it's stories like those (especially the F#$@ing clammer) that make me seriously consider sporting my .44 magnum while fishing the flats...."go ahead...spook my fish...BOOOM!!!".
Flydoc
NRA Life Member
Old 07-04-2006, 05:41 AM

Paxton. Thank you for shareing your story with us.

Flydoc you currently fish without a weapon?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:38 AM

I must admit, re the clammer....it was the first incident of that nature that I have had with a clammer in 5 yrs of fishing SB. Usually I have exchanged friendly greetings, or a wave and they have even answered my questions re clamming. Some have even told me how people have done fishing the day before.
The one yesterday, I'll judge against himself only.
Given the conditions yesterday with boat traffic, I really wasn't that upset about his spooking the fish....it was his purposeful inconsiderate attitude in doing so.
It's about mutual respect.......I respect that he has a back-breaking job to do and had to get to the flat....and he should respect someone who is in his "last 1/3 of his youth" having the right to enjoy a little patch of water after 35 yrs of work.
Ron
Old 07-04-2006, 09:29 AM

Ron great report. I have a rule which I try not to break. Never go fishing on a major holiday. It all has to do with our life styles. Only a few days of recreation and the rest of our time is back in the harness. That's why people are so intense out there. To top it all off the price of gas is killing everyone.
The clammer puzzles me. Wonder if he was a rec. clammer and not a professional he sure did not act like one.
Doc I've seen your arsenal at Frank's place . He doesn't stand a chance.
FishHawk
Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I must admit, re the clammer....it was the first incident of that nature that I have had with a clammer in 5 yrs of fishing SB. Usually I have exchanged friendly greetings, or a wave and they have even answered my questions re clamming. Some have even told me how people have done fishing the day before.
Some (maybe a lot of them) are also fishermen....
Old 07-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Flats Rat

The phrase "F***ing Morons" must have left my lips a few hundred times yesterday. I too saw that brainless git doing 50+mph hit the bar. Sadly his lower unit survived.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:35 PM

A-ha!!! That was you Adrian out there....for a time, I thought that the boaters were using you for target practice...glad you got out and walked a flat...a bit safer.
Ron
Old 07-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

We had some true bonehead maneuvers on our day out there...

A wader wanting to walk through the channel while we were sight fishing, while we were hooking fish - I had to ask him not to walk through if he didn't mind NOT doing that. The channel was about a long cast wide at that point and there was 1/2 mile of dry sand to walk out of the water to pass our location. I suggested that if he was passing, go ahead on the dry sand please and he huffed his way back to where he started so I can only assume he had no intention to pass.

A recreational kayaker come into our dead end channel as it was barely flooding thinking it would open to the other side, which I politely said "this is a dead end" but he insisted he could carry the kayak across the flat, then paddled over our water saying "I am just using the channel".

Then with a dozen eggs on his face he had to paddle back out in front of us, which doubly screwed us but the silent ridicule we buffeted him in as he paddled back out was worth it. He paddled as fast as he could avoiding eye contact as we silently snickered.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Squire animal

LOL

Brilliant!

It's days like that you never forget, even if it is for the wrong reasons... Summer madness.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
First off, happy Independence Day to all the UK fishemen who posted above

I know everyone's been concerned about the Southway filling in with sand and that Chatham will not dredge it out. Well, fear not, one more holiday weekend like this one and and the powerboaters will dredge it out for free....I haven't seen this many boats run aground since the beach landing scene in Saving Private Ryan......
What a bunch of twits. Waving them off only seemed to encourage them. It would have been more comical except for the fact that they messed up the fishing. As soon as the fish settled down and we(Paxton and I) started getting some decent shots another boat would start spraying mud... We easily saw over 100 stripers and one pod of blues that swam right at Paxton, but veered off before he could get a cast off. We decided to move on when we saw Moe, Larry, and Curly cruising in a foot of water spincasting towards shore. What were they going to catch in 2 inches of water?

If you PM me I will give you directions for tying my seal fly It was quite amazing really. I've heard of this happening but I had never seen it until it happened to me. I had hooked a good size striper and was playing him in when there was a huge boil near where I thought the striper was. Then the seal actually rolled on top of the water. I was trying to horse the fish in to save it when the seal came up from under the striper pushing it to the top of the water and then just chomped down on it. You should have heard the drag ! As I was pointing the tip of my rod at the seal to break it off, my line went slack. The seal must have bitten through the tippet before I could break him off. Anyway, I had a 300 pounder on for a few seconds...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 AM

Gary , you now are a member of the 40 inch plus club. . No one said it had to be a striper. I watched the same thing happen to Juro on a Rip Trip. Juro hooks a nice striper and a seal grabs the fish. Guess who won the battle? FishHawk
Old 07-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Local Boob

Fishing the sand bars off beach point Barnstable was no picnic either.

While standing in tight deep water a family (well father and some kids) powered over to see what kind of bait I was using with such a long rod and I had to turn around and take a smack across the back to protect my rod.

The guy was apologetic enough, explaining that he couldn't find the brake. I asked him if he really was that stupid or if that was just a stupid joke...he reiterated that he was sorry - answering my question.

Humans are my least favorite monkey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.