Bayside Week in Review - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Middle Aged Member

Bayside Week in Review

Fishin's been slooww for me. Very little bait and very few fish on my end of the big bayside flat. Today was the first time that things happend as expected. Flood started barren of fish and the beach and pasture were like Coney Island on a hot NY day. Never seen so many vehicles out on the bar - thought fer sure someone would get stranded. Had to be a lot of people out there that arn't familiar with how the tide fills in. Local car washes should do a booming business tonight. Early on I found a bit of space to post up but nothing showed. Made my way to the creek area that was flooding fast and made about ten casts to a lone 30" fish. Finally cast in front but beyond and as I tried to strip the floating line out of view the fish sppoked. Started moving west to a major trough and started seeing fish. I walked through the trough to post on the other side and had fish scooting through my legs. I cast to fish at this spot for half an hour but they showed no interest. Ray's fly colors were too bright and I knew it, but I'm stuborn. Put on a very translucent tan over smoke deep eel. First cast I'm stripping in and all of a sudden a 35"+ fish comes from perpendicular to the fly's path and grabs it. In short order the 16# tippit snapped adjacent to the double surgeons loop attached to the butt. Ugh. Anyhow, it was good to see things happen as you think they will.

Can't understand the lack of bait and fish over the last week. The constant south wind last week had me pumped up. I guess the bait could have been blown out. SW to WSW is the norm and that would push stuff parallel or into the NW facing bar. Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Pencil me in.....

I am fresh out of ideas! I could not get 'em to bite the jig in the Ditch this weekend..they wanted flies....speaking of flies..I tied up a few Bonito and Albie flies today...according to a reliable source the Skinny Kid is back in town working on the "skiff" so they can't be far behind Hope to get you in position for a shorebound Albie this year....20# tippet..fresh leader
Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Fred, it its any consolation, there have been periods on the southside void of bait, and the bite reflects it. However, on the flats when fish have been present, the deep eel gets no follows or takes. Going smaller and lighther tippet has been productive. Summer mode in full swing.

I'm off the cape now, and won't be back til 15 Sept. Sorery we didn't linkup, but lets plan some sojourns this fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Middle Aged Member

Jim, normally I'd say shrimp and crabs at this time. In years past, on the flood on a day like today, you couldn't even get in the water they'ed be in so tight. Stripers would be cruising under 100 yard rafts of sand eels totally ignoring, then you'd see them flashing and grubing on the bottom If you did manage to trigger a strike you could turn them on. Every fish you'd catch would look like it's wearing lipstik.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Middle Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
And...

How was the other end of town?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

SPOOKY!

That last post was made by my blackberry while I was browsing around and cutting and pasting using the thumbwheel! I thought I did a post but wasn't sure at the time.

I didn't get much time on the water due to family commitments but I did do a charter on the refuge and did a little playing around the bayside and found massive swarms of sand eels on the outer bar on the flood, so large that the water was darkened for 100 yards. These bait swarms are often on the shoals offshore but I haven't seen them this thick in a few years around the blue hole.

Jim, must've been the group you had in town at that time... my clients probably exceeded 40 fish on the flats yesterday on deep eels between the two. Nothing huge but some excitement for sure. I think it was the tremendous blow (35 mph steady) we had Sunday that brought some spring back into the summer mood. Anyway, the real problem for us (and Rip Ryder) was that the tide never came in until a good four hours after the turn. I mean molasses. The outgoing was exciting but the incoming was like watching paint dry on the sand. Just as the light was angling out of prime and we needed to head back to the pickup a few good shots at cow bass were had and albeit some very good follows nothing to hand before we had to scoot back to the rendezvous.

The weekend before we did hook that 40+ in the video clip on a full sided natural green tone deep eel on the bayside, and had some hot and heavy action on both sides of the cape and I think Brian used the same fly the whole weekend.

I am expecting to cancel tomorrow due to potential lightning... probably go to work instead.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.