Bonaventure - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2006, 03:51 PM
rankinstein

Bonaventure

Hello I am making my annual pilgrimage from Windsor Ont. to Cape Breton there are quite a few rivers between here and there.The Bonaventure is on my way(with a small couple of hundred mile detour) ,I see in Salar's post that some of the public water on the Bonnie may be as good as other river's private water.I always have a son or two with me this time just one.Could someone tell me out of A,C and D sectors which would be the easiest for him to fish and which would be a bit more productive I know that ,that is maybe a little hard to predict.If this doesn't prove out maybe I'll take another small couple of hundred mile detour to the Grande Riviere or slip down to the Petite any info gratefully appreciated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 06:44 PM

Rod:

My experience on the Bonaventure has been both private and zec water and the water I have fished required long casts (over 40 feet on average).

There is no better water for kids to fish then Grande River sector 5 and 6. My kids fish those sectors every year and casts are no more than 20 feet. Also, there are a good number of salmon holding in Wild Rose on the St. Jean which is a very easy cast as well. With no more swimming permitted in salmon pools sector 1 on the St. Jean will definately hold fish when you come up in a few weeks.

There are discounted fishing rates for kids under 18.

If you want to do the Grande I will be happy to show you the river (IMHO the best kept secret on the Gaspe!). Most people don't bother fishing the upper 2 sectors. Give me a call on your way up.

Bill
Old 07-01-2006, 08:01 PM
rankinstein

Grande

Thanks Bill I'll probably wind up there the same as I do every year.Trying to cut down on the driving but it was worth it last year especially on the St.Jean
Old 07-01-2006, 08:22 PM

Rod:

The St. Jean is an awesome river. We have a 13 year old and his father fishing sector 1 tomorrow. Wild Rose, Little Fork, Lime Rock (secret pool with no trail) are great for kids to fish. The York has a couple of great spots for kids as well; sector 2, sector 3, sector 8, and sector 9. The Dartmouth is more difficult. Petite Pabos sector 7 is also nice but you need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get over the mountain and to the parking area.

I am in NH for a bit (sold our house and bought a new one; my wife needs some help for the next couple of weeks) but I expect to be in Gaspe when you come up. If it works out (I think it will) I will go up to the Grande for a day to show you around; you can't let an opportunity to fish there go by.

Bill
Old 07-07-2006, 09:29 PM

Rankinstein,

Of the A, C, and D, my pick would be the D Sector. There are some very nice pools in the D that are also easy to wade and easy to fish. But it is also the furthest unlimited access sector on the Bonnie, about a 60-75 minute drive from Bonaventure. And it can get quite busy.

As well, Green pool in the A is a small pool and fairly easy to fish. And it is close to town. Malin in the A used to be an excellent holding pool. But that was some time ago.

It also depends when you are going. If you're going during the Québec Construction holiday (the last two weeks in July), I'd say forget the Bonaventure. The A, C, and D are packed during that period.

I hope this is of assistance.

Cheers,
dan
Old 07-08-2006, 09:26 AM

Rod
Ihope you haven't left already. The Bonnie's runs had a good start and have for some reason petered out . I know of two groups that have run D and C and both reported #'s hat you could count on one hand . B has about 13 to 15 fish in the pools. If the high tides don't bring anything up next week it looks like a disaster for the Bonnie this year.Matane counts are (wed) down 200 fish or so from last year at this time.Still OK though. Matapedia doing quite well. That being said, NO-ONE is calling up from the Matapedia, or for that matter any other rivers, to say " Come on down !!" Du Gouffre and (a very pleasant surprise ) the Escoumins on the North Shore are going well . Most rivers on the North Shore of Quebec seem to be doing OK this year with ave. fish size up from previous years! Rained up there this week so waters should be up from their previously low conditions.
Cheers
Old 07-08-2006, 12:30 PM
rankinstein

Thanks guys for the info.I leave on the 24th and should be there by the 26th.I have seen the Bonnie during construction holidays noy pretty.I am going to keep my fingers crossed flip a coin or ask the Pope to pray for rain .A lot can happen in a couple of weeks thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 01:23 AM

hallo,

this are bad news.
i'm coming at the 30th july.
are this no water situation also at the petit and grand cascapedia?

thanks chris
Old 07-09-2006, 07:34 AM

Both the Petite and the Grande were at mid-July levels in mid-June. There was a small bump of water near the end of the month. I left to come home at the end of the month so I don't know what's happened weatherwise since then. The truth is they both needed some serious rain when I left. Without it, there may be little or no fishing in another couple of weeks. At the same time, the Miramichi and rivers in Nova Scotia were in flood stage. All that water from the tropical depression in early June just never made it up to the Gaspé.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:26 AM

Hi All,

I have found this link,

http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/selectProvince.asp

to be a useful tool. Most of my fishing is done on Gaspe rivers that are not included, but many times I can get close enough with the added use of www.accuweather.com. Give it a try.

C.R.O.

Last edited by Salar 33; 07-09-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:44 PM

Salar 33, you should be able to get the water levels on many of the Gaspe salmon rivers on the following Quebec Government website:

www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/suivihydro/

Earle Fletcher
Old 07-09-2006, 05:58 PM

Earle,

The very best. Thanks,

C.R.O.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.