Connecticut Headwaters - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2006, 06:22 AM

Connecticut Headwaters

Hi folks I finally ignored my phone and put down my tools long enough to take a week off & do some fishing. Salt water fishing has been so so here in NH. So the wife & I headed for Pittsburgh NH for some Kayaking, fishing & wildlife veiwing.

The Conn river was a little high for my liking due to the constant rain here in the Northeast. With the lakes full the Dam operators were letting out more water than usual for this time of year. ( Based on past experience) However, I did manage to catch a few brookies from the river below the town of Pittsburgh one morning.

Most of our time was spent on the small ponds & bogs that are in the area. We were able to get midday strikes on the surface from some little brookies. There was some nice evening hatches and if the wind died off it was good fishing. Brookies would rise with great enthusiasm often jumpung clear out of the lake . Being the type who is just as happy catching four inch brooktrout as I am 40 inch stripers I was having a blast & my wife was enjoying it as well.

In the evenings on the way home we would take some back roads & look for moose. we spotted 14. We also saw 11 or 12 deer and a few bunnies.

I spoke with a few guides at the fly shops & they say the fishing has been good this year for the most part.

We enjoyed the week drifting along & casting. We did not catch huge numbers of fish. Then again neither one of us was trying all that hard. Isn't it amazing how much time you can spend watching a Great Blue Herron work the shore line
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 10:24 AM

The Pittsburgh area is one that's high on my list to go back to. I've had some great fishing there in the past. The moose are active at first light as well.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:59 PM

NH Fishing

Warren,sounds like a nice trip.

In 1990 fished the CR just below Pittsburgh out of the ff only area, to get away from the River Runs Through it crowd and had a ball.I got back from a week at Rangely,Me 10 days ago and had a strong desire(but no time) to swing over to NH to fish the CR.

Your lucky you could fish ;the last week down here in SE PA has turned every steam into a raging river.and fishing/ wading was suicidal

The Tricos are coming....
Tom
Old 07-03-2006, 08:27 PM

Tom,
I watched the news in horror of the flooding. We went through very much the same thing last October & then again this past May. I hope you did not lose anything to the floods, many did from the looks of the news reports.
I very rarely fish the Catch & release or the so called Trophy Stretch. The crowds are annoying. I always fish below town. From the Lake Francis dam all the way to West Stewartstown is good fishing with very little crowds

I have never fished the Rangley area. Some day soon I'll get the bug I hope

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.