Lazy tyer has some tarpon fly questions - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 03:37 PM

Lazy tyer has some tarpon fly questions

I'm going to Belize to fish mostly tarpon and permit off a mother ship. Been to Belize many times before, but not recently. So, as usual, every time I go on a trip, tying becomes a new adventure. Doesn't matter that I have tons of flies from previous trips, have to make up a few new ones, eh?

Anyway, as the title says, I'm a lazy tyer. I look to make the simplest of flies that have a chance of catching fish. Got enough crab patterns for the permit and I have many standard tarpon fly patterns. But lately, I've been into very simple bunny type flies, and for the tarpon I figure that rabbit tail, palmered with cross-cut rabbit, usually no eyes, maybe a little flash, a total length of about 4" and that's it. BTW, I won't be using any dredging techniques, hopefully it will be all sight casting in 2-6 feet of water. So, here's what I'm after:

1. In the past I've been successful with the brown cockroach pattern and was considering making up some bunny flies using gold varient or brown rabbit stips to immitate the colors of the cockroach. I'm also thinking of a red/white bunny fly to immitate the Seaducer. What do you guys think?

2. Also, I've been pondering which size strips to get: magnum (1/4") or regular (1/8")???

3. I plan on using Mustad Signature hooks, either their tarpon SS or circle SS in either size 2/0 or 3/0. For whatever reasons, I'm leaning towards 2/0 circle hooks (the tarpon will mostly range from 15-80#, but one can get into an over 100# fish.) Once again, humble opinions...

Thanks all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Flats Rat

I like hot orange but each location seems to have its favorites. A simple plamered pattern about an inch long did the damage for us in the Bahamas a couple of years back.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I would guess that tarpon vary in attitude from region to region, also in age groups.

I would suggest talking to Ben Iannotta Jr at www.bigfishonfly.com (sponsor link) on the topic of tarpon flies
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.