Ross Big Game Reels - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2006, 05:31 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Ross Big Game Reels

This is a mid range priced reel that has admirable qualities. There is one caveat: it needs to be soaked after each use and then a spray of water on the disc drag is recommended. Having done the required routine, there is still a possibility that the drag will wobble and not be smooth. This is, in my opinion, a result of debris entering the drag washers. The solution, according to Ross, is to send the reel for service. The turnaround on service is great, but. As a harcore saltwater fly guy, there needs to be a better fix, either dealer or owner serviceable drag systems.

My buddy, a flyshop owner, contacted Ross about the so-called abnormal amount of complaints in the Mass area. They indicated to him that the saltwater they used to test the durability of the drag system came from Florida. Either we have too much saline or alkaline in our water, or we are whiners.

Ross suggested that we contact our dealers and voice our concerns. That would get the ball rolling to address our perceived problem. If you have this problem with your Ross Big Game reel, please voice your conern to your dealer. I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 06:18 PM

JimS: My Ross Big Game is in for service as I speak for surging/sticking in the drag. Same as what you're referring to. spoke to Brad because they serviced my reel a couple of months ago, since unused, and I used it for the first time, after servicing, on my two week MVineyard trip. Same old story. Catch a big fish, drag surges, difficult to land the fish in the surfline because it's just not smooth. I've also had a squealing noise when I take line out when I get to the surf and strip off 16 pulls or so in order to prepare my reel for casting. They say not to lubricate the reel but it seems to me that the sqealing noise is clamoring for some sort of lube on the spindle. They say not. It will be interesting what I learn when the reel comes back.

As far as "soaking for 20 minutes, at the end of your fishing day, I spoke with Ross about this. If I'm fishing every day, I find it ridiculous to take my reel off the rod, dissassemble it and "soak it" in a bowl for 20 minutes! I feel soaping the rod/reel at the end of each day and rinsing it off with fresh water should suffice (as does with other mfrs). The rep told me if I'm fishing every day, the soaping should be just fine. However, I'm experiencing drag problems again even tho' I'm caring properly for the reel. Will post again after I get the repaired reel back. I do love the reel but feel the mfr's recommendation to "soak for 20 minutes" is a bit much. And, PS: Why should Ross suggest "we contact our dealers" re our problems? We've contacted Ross directly. No need for a dealer to get involved for a reel with a "lifetime warrantee". If, in a phone call, we speak to the head man at Ross and detail our problem, why should we need to get the dealer involved? I mean: Are there any other saltwater flyfishing reels out there nowadays which require soaking in fresh water for 20 minutes at the end of the fishing day? We just want to wash them off with soapy water, rinse them and dry/hang to dry.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have two BG's, same story. I have to admit I was so psyched about them initially but then the drag issues started. Then I was happy about the service but then it got old having band-aid solutions instead of fixes. I haven't fished them in a long time as a result of the situation.

Jim - I find it odd to tell a dealer about a manufacturing / design issue.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-26-2006, 08:40 PM

I'm a former BG owner and had the same issue. I'm sure, from past experience and conversations with others, that this thread will probably get pretty large. I do give Ross credit for great service and would imagine that if this thread came to there attention, it could set the wheels in motion for a long term solution.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:10 PM

I had the problems with BG-4 when the reel was soak with water ( rain or river water). The drag was far from smooth… what cost me few nice Alaskan Silvers.
After the reels was twice serviced by Ross( very fast service!) I have sold it, because the problem was never corrected.
For the last 4 years I have been using only reels manufactured by Danielsson AB.
They never failed, and don’t require maintenance even after many weeks of fishing in harsh conditions in Alaska or Europe, thanks to super Swedish quality and sealed drag system.

Daielsson reels are also about $ 100 cheaper the comparable size Ross reels!

http://danielsson-flyreels.se/us/start.php
Old 06-28-2006, 08:16 PM

there are many posts on this issue. I think that the reels are really nice, but I only fish mine from a boat.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 AM

Synopsis of the probem:

If saltwater gets into the chamber under the drag knob it can not be cleaned effectively. Since this chamber is not sealed the drag mechanism corrodes and degrades over a rapid time until it requires service repeatedly.

Most likely from a boat you are never getting any water into the chamber. However the reel does have a flaw in that the drag is (a) not sealed and (b) not serviceable without a special tool that only Ross has at the factory.

I have two BGs with the issue. I don't use them much anymore. I don't have a boat.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

BG

i have 3 BG that i fish with in the salt for stripers,bones,permit,cudas and anything else and i have had no problems at all, but with anything that is made by man it will break down thats my 2 cents
Old 06-29-2006, 01:17 PM

but with anything that is made by man it will break down thats my 2 cents

The only question is how often!!! I have not seen any problems or reports related to Daielsson LW or DH post 2001, so far.
I can’t say this about BG Rosss reels. Lots of them, particularly from those who use them intensively.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:33 PM

Ross Reels

I call them Loss reels because thats what an owner gets in the end.I've owned one for four yrs. and its been back to the factory at least that many times for drag problems.The service is fast but the problem is back in a couple of weeks.The BG-5 that I own (not much longer) has never been in the water and has been rinsed and cleaned after each days fishing so I've given up and I'm trying to decide what to do.
I believe the company is okay but they refuse to admit that their product has problems in the salt water.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:54 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Thanks for your input to this thread. I'm hopeful that Brad at Ross will pickup on this thread, and admit their is a problem. Shorebound anglers seem to have the most issues with the drag; however, I lost a good queenfish in Australia when the drag hesitated. I tend to keep my drag on the light side, and when a drag starts to convulate on a fish, that ain't right. Incidentally, the reel was fresh from conditioning at the factory, and was not dunked. I was on a boat.

Let's hope they have a fix. There are some good options that don't have the daily maintenance and still have a reliable, smooth drag.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:16 AM

No more "sealed" drags for this kid. Lamson has the same problem and they keep claiming to fix it. The design has to either be 100% completely waterproof or not water proof at all so it can be taken apart, rinsed, dried and lubricated.

Does anyone know how the Nautilus has held up? I'm not talking one week bonefish vacation but everyday, pounding the sand and surf, getting dunked and dropped in the sand.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:52 AM

Dave

Danielsson is for real, everyday salt sand you name it.

Sage also has earned its rep but the LW and HD are aesthetically on top

From there you need to go Charlton money or unsealed IMHO
Old 06-30-2006, 08:54 AM

To each his own. I learned the hard way and will not go back.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:18 AM

From there you need to go Charlton money

Just few years ago when reels like LW or HD, designed and manufactures by Danielsson family were sold under Loop name ( they still had Danielsson engraving, in addition to Loop logo ) for $ 550-800 range. These reels were the second most expensive reels after Charlton, which btw are is many cases to heavy.
Now, because they are sold directly from the factory, we can enjoy the prices which in the past were only available to fly shops and fly-fishing guides.

The prices which are lower then Ross or Lamson and quality is at least as good as Charlton reels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.