Rainy weekend on Cape Cod Bay - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Fly chucker

Rainy weekend on Cape Cod Bay

Well, you can't always choose the weather when visiting the Cape. I had made plans to be out on the Cape to visit a friend (new Flytalk member Sean Juan). Anne and I arrived in Dennisport late Thursday night, and Sean and I hit the waters of Barnstable Harbor with the kayaks early on both Friday and Saturday while the wives did some shopping and other touristy things.

Even with the cloud cover and rain, we saw plenty of fish (more on Saturday than on Friday). The formula was simple: hop from sand bar to sand bar as the water levels changed with the tide. Find water moving over a flat, find the edge, and the fish were there. We saw a few legal stripers, but we were kept busy with countless schoolies up to 24 inches. Polar fiber minnows, sparse clousers, and whitebait mushies did the trick on both days. Small and accurate payed off better in terms of flies than big and obnoxious. When the fish moved from the flats, we used quick sinking lines in rips and found some action, but not as steadily as the flats scene.

Had the sun been out (and it was for very brief intervals on Friday), we probably would have been stunned by the numbers of fish coming through. On Saturday alone I probably saw a couple hundred just by myself, although not until they were only 20 feet away. I don't get a lot of sight fishing opportunities, so I made the most of it. I was even able to hook up twice with reach casts to fish that were heading straight away from me.

This picture shows just how dismal some of the weather was. Believe it or not, we were still able to spot many fish in these conditions, even though they were quite blonde.

A note to Striblue: we may have a new Iron Man on our hands here. Sean didn't were anything more than swim trunks and a t-shirt both days, withstanding cold water tempertures, high winds, and what seemed at times to be rain of biblical proportions. Here he is having some fun with a micro bass.

I am impressed with the variety of habitat that Barnstable Harbor holds....flats, rips, rock, marsh, bays, creeks....it's all there. And the tide change makes it all soooooo fishy.

Many thanks to Sean and his wife for their hospitality. We had a wonderful time, and this trip further reinforced to me that I need to get to the Cape more.
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 08:56 AM
President of CAC

Mark.... great shots and Sean is my kind of guy..... In order to break any tie for the "iron Man" designation... you need to arrange for an arm wrestling match
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Fly chucker

Okay, I'll play the role of Don King and arrange a matchup.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mark -

Curious how you had the kayak anchored in that top shot?

We were not far from you and latched into a definite 40+ club entry but I had a guest out on a trip swap (guide Brian Chao from Seattle) so to ensure his sense of obligation hehe (j/k) I reluctantly handed him my rod after I hooked this submarine. He did a great job of battling it but the 15 tippet eventually gave way after about 10 minutes of battle, probably my fault for not being anally retentive about my tippet as I should. One never knows when the 40+ will eat the fly.

It took so long we had to hurry off the flat but a yak would have let us venture to high spots and extend our stay.

Video clip (1.9mb) of bigass bass
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Fly chucker

You can probably tell from the picture, but if you were to draw a straight line from me to the white kayak (Sean's), that would be about a yard back from the edge of the flat. His kayak was anchored from the side, quartering to the back (hence the sideways drag). My Tarpon (just out of the picture to the right) was anchored with the new trolley system completely to the back, allowing for minimal drag from the flooding tide.

The kayaks were at the somewhat high point of the bar that we were working. We'd beach them as high as possible, walk out towards the fishy water, and work our ways back.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Local Boob

I only wore that much because my Speedo was in the dry cleaners. You feel plenty warm when you are into the fish.

Striblue - long time fan of your flies would love to go fishing with you sometime.

Juro - My anchor system needs some work, basically its just a loop of rope tied to a carbiner, I run the anchor line through the carbiner and tie off near the seat that way I can retrieve the anchor from a seated position but have the working part of it off the stern. Mark's set up is vastly superior. We saw some much bigger fish who I'm sure we could have caught had our flies not been in the mouths of smaller fish. Thats been my season so far, even when I have made the decision to only fish large flies to deter the small guys I still get them.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
We saw some much bigger fish who I'm sure we could have caught had our flies not been in the mouths of smaller fish
A classic quote! If Mark Twain was a striper hound he surely would have said that
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-26-2006, 03:42 PM

One question Mark. Was there any danger that your yak could come loose and float away? This happened to someone I know and he was lucky that he was not fishing alone. I wonder what is your thought on some sort of tether? The Bayside Flats can be quite dangerous as everyone knows. FishHawk
Old 06-26-2006, 09:08 PM

Juro,

Nice video! Good shot of another happy hook-up!

Jim
Old 06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
One question Mark. Was there any danger that your yak could come loose and float away? This happened to someone I know and he was lucky that he was not fishing alone. I wonder what is your thought on some sort of tether? The Bayside Flats can be quite dangerous as everyone knows. FishHawk
Absolutely not. I have a three pound claw anchor attached to one foot of very heavy chain, which is then attached to the running line. I wouldn't leave the kayak if I thought there was a chance of this happening.

For more details of why this won't happen, check out my anchor trolley thread in the kayak forum (saves me from having to retype).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.