Golden Bones - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2006, 07:39 PM

Golden Bones

Rick took me out on his nice, shiny Hewes to see if we could pick up a few LMs but the wind was abysmal so we headed for the lee of the bay to chase some carp. Tough fishing as most were crusing rather than feeding but we both hooked two and landed one. Rick lost his at the boat after a long fight while mine was on only long enough to say that it was hooked.

We saw two that were nosing in the weeds. Rick fished to the one on the right with no luck, switched off to the one on the left and hooked up right away. As his fish cleared off, I tossed out a cast to the one remaining and saw the fish go on its side as it picked up the fly -- set the hook and away it went. Double-header!

Rick ended up landing his 25 pounder while I landed the 30 pounder, both on Loomis Crosscurrent 8 wts. At one point I'm trying to lever mine close to the boat and I'm concentrating on the fish. Then I looked at the rod to see it bent double. Tough rod.

Peter

Should mention that I took that picture of Rick's fish while fighting mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sun june 25 007.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	5861   Click image for larger version

Name:	sun june 25 005.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	5862  

Last edited by peter-s-c; 06-26-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Fly chucker

Aye carumba! Nice fish!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Those are some nice fish! Where in the country are you located Peter?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:53 AM

Those fish were caught in Burlington Bay which is the western point of Lake Ontario. I live in Southern Ontario, roughly between the western point of Lake Ontario and the north shore of Lake Erie.

Burlington bay is very industrialized with the Dofasco and Stelco steel mills on the southern edge, a major highway on the eastern causeway, and residential on the north shore. Hardly pristine but it is full of fish. We also had to contend with roosting colonies of terns, ring billed gulls, and cormorants. What a racket and stink when we got on the windward side of it. Still, the fish made up for it.

Peter
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-s-c
. . . Hardly pristine but it is full of fish. We also had to contend with roosting colonies of terns, ring billed gulls, and cormorants. What a racket and stink when we got on the windward side of it. Still, the fish made up for it.

Peter
Definitely! Nice to get the double hookup too. I'll bet that doesn't happen often when sight fishing for carp!

Q
Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 AM

Nice fish. Here in Manitoba we do get a few big ones so I just have to show you.

The second shot is my buddy Kim. Thought the fish was bigger than he was.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:21 AM

Nice fish!

Whenever I've fished for carp, I've never had any luck getting crusing fish to take, only active feeders. We had the same experience last Sunday with not a single take from a cruiser. Three of the hookups came from plunking the fly on the nose of a fish rooting in the weeds while one hookup came from putting the fly in front of a fish who was feeding like a striper picking off crabs -- swimming across the shallows and tilting from side to side as it picked up prey. These fish flashed just like nymphing trout.

We did get some follows from cruisers but no takes and that's been consistent with past experience. I did have one hookup a few years back when fishing for smallies with a streamer and a carp took it, plus Greg hooked up on one using a huge saltwater streamer in the Niagara Whirlpool. I've also had a lot of big suckers take streamers so these bottom feeding fish do seem to prey on minnows -- probably looking for the injured, dead or dying. I've seen them hit floating dead/dying minnows in the Whirlpool where the heavy currents take a big toll of the baitfish.

When fishing for carp in smaller, turbid, moving waters, I've also had luck nymphing for them as I would for trout. They're much less skittish in the murk.

What tactics are you guys using for them? Always sight fishing or occasional fishing blind?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Flats Rat

Always sight fish for them myself. Now if there are a bunch of them stirring up clods of mud I'll definitely droip the fly into the mud. My experience so far (limited to only a few outings) has been the same as Peter - no hook-ups on cruisers only actively feeding fish. Even then the presentation needed to be "just right".

I am still waiting for that 20lb+ active feeder to swim into casting range. I think we about set for the "Mulbury Hatch" in this part of the world so this year maybe

Those are some great fish, way to go guys!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:04 PM

There have been a few times that I have caught cruisers but it doesn't happen often. Usually I will use a white fly to do this. In fact most of my patterns are tied in white or tan. When cruisers make up thier mind to take a fly hanf on to your shorts. Line burns are for sure.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:20 PM

Rick, the guy I was fishing with, mentioned that he gets the odd cruiser when there's a large pod -- he figures it gets a bit competitive when there's a bunch of them so one will race out for the fly. I haven't had that experience yet myself, but I'm not exactly high on the scoring charts of champion fly carpers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.