Shooting Straight? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jay -

Very nicely described; Lefty has a way of putting things in simple understandable terms.

However TjP describes more than just curvature in the line in fact some of the description implies recoil and agressive stroke power, and he began without a leader which further promotes recoil especially when the power is high.

The "line follows the tip" analogy has a lot of merit but I have to wonder if it's the root cause here.

Line follows rod tip of course, but only if the line has momentum in that direction. Otherwise it just opens the loop.

For instance:

Let's say I cast a 70 foot false cast with a longbelly line. I am tracking the line in a fairly small imaginary cylinder in the air, parallel to the ground and about 10 feet off the ground.

Suddenly, I drop the rod tip to the ground on the forward cast. If we over-simplify the description "line follows the rod tip" then we should expect that the line goes to the ground.

However you will note that the momentum of the line at the 10ft altitude and forward vector wants to continue in that track despite what the rod tip does.

To your point if the rod tip had been pulling the line in a different track through the stroke from start to finish, then the line will go in that direction accordingly.

I like very much to use simple tips as well but instead of focusing only on the rod tip (which is important) I also put some emphasis on the line itself and have gotten much better reactions from students in terms of application of power and tracking.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Well, went fishing again today, armed with my new technique of keeping the rod vertical on the forecast. Worked ok-ish, landed perfectly straight and gentle a few times, though not always.

After an hour or two though, the lake owner came over and had a quick chat, asking how I was doing and what fly I was using etc. After admitting Im still new to the whole fly fishing sport, this being my 5th time fishing, he offered me some casting tips. Apparently I was doing it all with my wrist, and that I should keep my wrist locked. He gave me a quick demo of how I was doing it, and how it should be done - keeping my wrist locked throughout, keeping my elbow down against my side, and using quick short movements from 10 o'clock to 2.
He then left me to have a go at putting what he showed me into practice, and I will say, I was shooting the line much more successfully. My only concern is the fly can come quite close to my face on the backcast, if I leave the line a little while too long! But thats what the sunglasses are there for I guess =) - and the baseball cap ;D

Even though it was only a small 1.5 acre catch-and-release lake, there was a little hut with tea making facilities and such, and it turns out the guy is a casting tutor, so Im gonna put some thought into asking him for an hour of tuition - only costs 5 afterall!

He also gave me some intruction on how to fish the lake... and loaned me a full sinking line since I only have a sink tip and floater! Nice guy. His technique and the fly he gave me proved deadly. On my third cast I hooked a frikin monster... at first it felt like about a 1.5lb trout, then WHOOSH he took off and took my leader with him - 6lb fluorocarbon snapped just like that. It was terrifying, lol, he pulled easily twice as hard as the 2.5lb rainbow I landed, which is my record at the mo. He yanked the line out of my grip as I was pulling him in. As I said, absolutely terrifying! Well, atleast Ill be more prepared for such a big fish next time =D

Overall, a good day fishing, and hopefully a further improvement to my casting =)

Again, thanks for all the tips and such, has been helpful! I know it wasnt easy to offer advice when you cant see what Im doing, so thank yee all =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.