%^$*#$&^%^ boaters! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2006, 06:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
%^$*#$&^%^ boaters!

Ok time to rant a little. On Sunday night my father in law and I took his canoe out on a local lake for some fishing. The lake has houses along maybe 50% of the shoreline, though in most places they're spaced pretty far apart. We tucked into a small cove to get off of the main lake, but more than a few boaters decided to take turns around the cove a few times for fun. They'd give us a bare amount of space and then make a couple of turns around the cove before going out to the main lake. Not surprisingly, the fish were nowhere to be found. It's a free country, and I don't own the lake, but common courtesy would have been nice.

One guy actually waved to us as he buzzed by us about 30' away in his jet ski, then jetted back out of the cove.

Towards the end of the night it got a lot worse though. A boater came into the cove in his 18' fiberglass boat and did a full circle around our canoe before putting his boat to shore for the night. Basically this circle was a 450 degree turn with us in the center. As if it's not hard enough to keep a canoe steady with a wake coming at you from one direction, now we had it coming at us from all directions at once. We're both experienced in a canoe and with some clever paddling managed to ride out the wakes without any issues. We're very lucky we were in the location we were though, because we watched with fear as his wakes combined into a set of large waves that were about 3 feet high. It was hard to tell which direction they were going so for about 20 seconds my father in law and I just watched and hoped they weren't going to hit us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 AM
Middle Aged Member

Sounds like Lake Pearl.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Fly chucker

Sounds like most lakes in CT.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Flats Rat

You could make a note of their registration and report them for reckless endangerment. If you are in a canoe or kayak and a powerboat creates a wake that could cause a problem I think you have grounds for complaint.

Maybe if enough folks do it these morons will lose their registration.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
Or just go back a bit later that night and pour a little sugar in their gas tank. :O

Oh, did I say that out loud?

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2006, 04:49 AM

Scenerios like you describe TJ and drunk morons with speeding Fountain boats on Lake Winnepasake are some of the reasons New Hampshire is requiring all power boat owners to take a safety course.
Which really burns me to no end because when I was a boy you were taught the rules of proper boat handling by Dads & Uncles etc..
Apparently todays instant gratifcation & too much disposable income has clouded most folks thinking on such matters. A pair of fishermen in a canoe is just an annoyance...the hell with them our boat is bigger. They don't stop to consider anything.

P.S. Don't get me going on Jet Skis I get impure thoughts of things to do with rifles

Last edited by Warren; 06-23-2006 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

if you think boats are bad come and fish salmon season here
Old 06-24-2006, 04:29 PM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
if you think boats are bad come and fish salmon season here
----- Or steelhead season for that matter. Where shore fishermen are concerned,
there's ongoing discontent with boat fishermen on certain rivers in our area. Many of the boat guys are pretty considerate, particularly the charter captains. But as they say, a few give the rest a bad name, with drifting too close or starting the engine out in front of you, being the main problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.