evening dry fly Video clip and Question - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2006, 11:37 AM

evening dry fly Video clip and Question

When you watch this clip fishfever(dot)com/node/154 you can see the trout rising and the guy does a nice job landing a few. My question is what is the first thing you do when the sun goes down and the fish stop rising?

Last edited by juro; 06-21-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Flats Rat

That would depend on where you are fishing and time of year. Certain species will continue to hatch (or fall) after dark. If all surface activity ceases one appraoch is to tie on a large all black lure and fish it very slow and deep. Another aproach is to stay on the surface but skate a big bouyant pattern like a muddler across the surface, maybe with a nymph or emerger as a dropper. There are patterns of fish behavior to be learned after dark just the same as during the day and its fun and very satisfying when you figure it out. Rest assured, if the fish are there during the day they are there at night and often the biggest fish will be found at those times.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Fly chucker

They might also still be feeding on the surface on spinners. When fish take spinners the takes and rises are much more subtle, and often go unnoticed.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:46 AM

First thing I do when the sun goes down and the fish stop rising? That's generally about the time my focus expands beyond the intersect of fish, fly and water, and generally I'm in a drift boat, and almost without fail I'm at least 45 minutes from my landing with 30 minutes of daylight. So the first thing I do is panic momentarily. Then I slather up with more bug dope so that I'm not suffering while I'm drowning should I smack-up against the numerous boulders and sweepers in the river. But that's about as long as I can focus on the real world when I'm floating - so I tie on a really big, ugly bug that either scoots across the surface as Adrian recommends, or one which with I can plumb different depths. Then I remind myself to hold onto my fly rod a little tighter, cause it's time for the big boys to come out and play!

Besides, at my age and eyesight, trying to see a dry in that light and not miss the take is an exercise in frustration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.